Investment suggestions - ETFs

So I'm looking for a new ETF investment. Anyone have any good suggestions?
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    So I'm looking for a new ETF investment. Anyone have any good suggestions?
    Not that I'm knowledgeable, but stocks are way high (IMO) bonds are stinko...

I am rolling over a 401K to IRA and going with a REIT mutual fund.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Not that I'm knowledgeable, but stocks are way high (IMO) bonds are stinko...

I am rolling over a 401K to IRA and going with a REIT mutual fund.
    Yeah I don't think I am going to go with a equity ETF. I was thinking either an emerging markets or bond etf.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Yeah I don't think I am going to go with a equity ETF. I was thinking either an emerging markets or bond etf.
    I was serious about real estate trusts. Do you think bonds are a good investment now?

There are different types, I think mine is all or mostly income producing rather than investments in mortgages, I have to talk to the IRA guy today.

Anyway, if i can partially hijack this thread into advice about REITs, my advice to you will have been worthwhile.

Investopedia runs down REITs

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...#axzz2N3wGhRID
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

http://etfdb.com/etf/DXJ/

could take off.....but dont take my word for it....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    http://etfdb.com/etf/DXJ/

could take off.....but dont take my word for it....
    Just curious but what makes you bullish on Japanese equities?

I know you will pan me for this, but go long on BBRY. Home run.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    I was serious about real estate trusts. Do you think bonds are a good investment now?

There are different types, I think mine is all or mostly income producing rather than investments in mortgages, I have to talk to the IRA guy today.

Anyway, if i can partially hijack this thread into advice about REITs, my advice to you will have been worthwhile.

Investopedia runs down REITs

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...#axzz2N3wGhRID
    The issue to be aware of with REITs is valuation. The FED's policy on interest rates is distorting the true cost of capital, ROI, and valuations. When it comes to real estate valuation is driven by cap rates. As cap rates decline valuations increase. REITS are trading well in excess of their replacement costs. So if you don't feel like you have a good handle on rate increases and the pace of rate increases you are probably taking on more risk than you know (and could handle).

Because the Japanese fed is doing the same thing our fed is doing, pumping ungodly amounts into capital markets. Most of which will find it way into equities because fixed income rates are so low.

Quote Originally Posted by ctc View Post
    Because the Japanese fed is doing the same thing our fed is doing, pumping ungodly amounts into capital markets. Most of which will find it way into equities because fixed income rates are so low.
    The other theory is that the money printing will increase the Yen price of Japanese exports.

It's been awhile since a dollar or Euro could buy this much Yen and the numbers are expected to increase.
    Last edited by Diamondeye; 03-10-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctc View Post
    Well they have been doing it for almost 20 years with limited success.

The weakening of the Yen that has been going on.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx