Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Days

Pro Days

Figured we may as well do another "dump thread" for all of these.

So far I've only found one instance of a report that definitively had the Steelers on hand for a pro day....UAB's, of all places. I'm assuming it was for this guy:

Chris Hubbard, OT: Measuring 6034/290lbs, the athletic blocker ran the forty in the upper 4.8ís and posted 21 reps on the bench. Those on hand told us Hubbard looked terrific in drills. He easily moved about the field and looked smooth and natural in all the exercises. Many in the scouting community feel Hubbard was a combine snub and the college tackle will get considerations in the late rounds by a zone blocking offense looking for a guard.
    I'm taking that as yet another instance that should remove any remaining doubts, if there were any left, about the Steelers shifting to a full blown ZBS. Just about every OL they've been tied to in this draft class is of the athletic/mobile variety as opposed to the in-line/mauler variety. Willie Colon should probably put his house on the market now. Come June 5, I expect he's going to be on the outside looking in.

Steelers and Texans were also "showing a lot of interest when LB Marvin Burdette worked out." Sounds as if he's a ILB/ST type flier. Pulled a quad, but ran a 4.7 anyway and gutted out the drills.

As to other player/Pro Days that Pittsburgh may/may not have been at, but could certainly be interested in....

Clemson: DeAndre Hopkins had a strong performance to back up his combine. Was hand-timed by some scouts in the low 4.4s, but was given an official 4.52 by whomever "the official" was. Pass catching drills were reported as "dazzling", by Tony Pauline.

Wisconsin: Monty Ball reportedly "didn't do anything to stand out" at Wisconsin's PD. Steelers have been linked to him pretty heavily the past few weeks.

Ark-PB: OL Terron Armstead, another uber-athletic type, had a strong showing at his PD, on a trash field to boot. Improved on his agility stuff from the combine. Reports were that there were 15 NFL teams in attendence, the most ever at an Ark-PB pro day.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

- Keith Butler was on site at TCU's PD, reportedly keeping close tabs on DE/OLB Stansly Maponga.

- Steelers reps at Mizzoo PD to see NT Brandon Williams, but he pulled a hammy during workouts.

- westcoast

Mapongo had a good day at PD 4.84 and 4.85 seconds in the 40-yard dash, bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times, and vertical jump of 29 1/2 inches. Listed at 6'2' 260 lbs.
    Definitely tweener, more apt maybe at 4-3 DE but lacks the height. Not sure he can run at OLB which is what we'd have to at.

Saw OL coaches were at Kent State looking at 2 OL, Brian Winters and Josh Kline.
    Winters 6'4" 320lbs, hurt is Pec muscle and had to quit for the day. Played T, in pros could be T or G and best suited for zone-blocking system. Ex-Wrestler.
    Kline 6'3, 309lbs, projected LG.

Not sure what to think about fact two guys they looked at today got hurt Williams and Winters. We can even get to the draft before these guys are getting hurt now. Sure hope we're addressing being in shape and getting our physical therapy and workout training groups in order. They talked about it after the season needing to review and address the injury problems and have heard nothing since.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Keith Butler was at Auburn's PD, he ran the LB drills, supposedly watching Corey Lemonier. 6'3" 255lbs DE. Size says 3-4 OLB but ready he might have trouble with transition.

To many damn injuries. And not many of the names coming up so far are really on my wants list.

I am seeing Jarvis Jones falling further and further in mocks. Many reputable folks have him all the way down to us, which would absolutely be the tits. Stenosis or not, he's just a hair behind Von Miller in terms of pre draft talent.

We have no shot at Ansah or Jordan as both seem to firmly be in the top 10 and for good reason.

I'm seeing more folks putting Cooper at or above Warmack at this point. I still don't see both guys going top 16, but crazier things have happened. Cooper would be a perfect fit at LG in our transition to ZBS but that'd be 3 interior lineman in 4 years. Doubt we'll fly that route.

Not taking a QB. Not taking a RB, TE or WR (doubtful). Can't see an OT given that fact we're set the starting spots. DL is doubtful unless we go NT.

It's gotta be LB or DB.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

I worry a tad about Jarvis's size and stenosis (has this sentence ever been written?), but the guy is a wrecking ball of a player.

I surprised to see you say Montee Ball did nothing to stand out because from everything I've seen he had a great PD.

"I" didn't say that. "I" wasn't at the pro day. It's just what I saw reported by talking heads on Twitter. (Pauline, Cosell, et al)

Where'd you see it reported otherwise?

We all know by now it's pretty much eye of the beholder anyway. One team falls in love with a guy and their scouts will see him do no wrong. Another team hates a guy and will see him do nothing right.
    Last edited by ThinMan; 03-08-2013 at 12:57 PM.

- westcoast

Montee Ball looks like a 3rd or 4th rounder to me. Classic Wisconsin back. Great production in college cause he's running behind a bunch of mastodons on the oline but marginal NFL speed.

Here is an interesting blog on pro days, just fyi: http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/
    The one caught me:

Terrell Brown, OT (6-10, 388) — Brown is massive and just might be the biggest player we’ve reported on in this space. He has 38-inch arms and a 92 3/8-inch wingspan. Brown ran the 40 in 5.80 and 5.88 seconds, had a 5.65-second short shuttle and a 8.98-second three-cone drill. He had a 23 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 6-foot-9 broad jump. He also performed 22 lifts on the bench press.

Texas A&M is doing theirs today but haven't checked report out. They are across the street from me but indoors so can't go watch, though I'm to busy to go anyhow but bummer.
    A&M prospects - Luke Joeckel LT(Top 5 pick), Damontre Moore DE/OLB(1st-2nd Rd), Ryan Swope WR(2-4 Rd), Sean Porter LB(3-4 Rd), Christine Michael RB(4-6 Rd), Jonathan Stewart LB(4-6 Rd), Uzoma Nwachukwu WR(6-7 Rd), Patrick Lewis C (UDFA) , Spencer Neeley DT(UDFA). Neeley actually blewup Barrett Jones at Alabama when we beat Alabama.
    The guy I'd like most out of A&M is WR Ryan Swope, the guy is incredible on and off the field.

Ok some results on A&M pro day: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...ro-day-results
    DB Steve Terrell ran a 4.35 40. Moore did 19 on the bench press which betters his ridiculous 12 at the combine.

Another pro day result page: http://walterfootball.com/proday.php
    Last edited by BIG STEEL; 03-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Christine Michael, RB (5-10, 221) — Michael stood on his combine numbers and worked out for Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson. Michael discussed the situation that transpired during the combine when he overslept and missed two meetings with NFL teams, explaining how he was sick while in Indianapolis and took night-time cold medicine to help with sleeping, causing him to oversleep.

The kids got serious ability, but his head worries me a little. He expected to come in this year and be the #1 back after Cyrus Gray graduated and carry the ball 90% of the time but our backfields is stacked right now and he and Sumlin had it out abit early on so he put himself basically into the doghouse. With Manziel blowing up in the SEC and Rbs Malena and Williams doing so well his attitude cost him. That said Michael is an absolute beast running the ball and he can find the endzone. If picked up anywhere from 3-5 rounds and he gets his head straight, he could be the answer at RB, but again his attitude is the issue.

A total of 10 players from the 2012 TCU team worked out for representatives from 29 NFL teams, including Pittsburgh Steelers defensive assistant coach Jerry Olsavsky.
    TCU Stansly Maponga, DE (6-foot-1 7/8, 251 pounds) — Maponga ran the 40-yard dash in 4.81 and 4.84 seconds. He had a 4.37-second short shuttle and a 7.30-second three-cone drill. He left 29 1/2 inches in the vertical jump and had a 9-foot-6 broad jump. Maponga played defensive end in college, but is also being worked out at linebacker (as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 base defense). The NFL linebackers coaches present worked out Maponga.
    Last edited by BIG STEEL; 03-08-2013 at 09:54 PM.

No thank you on Brown unless he's looking to be the massive nose tackle, he'll be a liability at Offensive tackle. Michael at running back? No thank you. He's a running head case, I understand the offense of Texas A&M didn't suit his break out season but the kid is a guy with allot of talent but seams like a one contract and done. If there's some information that tells me the kid's mis understood, I'd love to listen to it. The kid must have an agent or parent or someone that is going to wake him up for the interview; what the heck.
    Last edited by westcoast; 03-09-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG STEEL View Post
    Keith Butler was at Auburn's PD, he ran the LB drills, supposedly watching Corey Lemonier. 6'3" 255lbs DE. Size says 3-4 OLB but ready he might have trouble with transition.
    This is a guy who is a steal. He's probably worth a first but will last into the second round. Lemonier is perfect to fill in for Harrison.
    Last edited by westcoast; 03-09-2013 at 05:19 AM.

double post
    Last edited by westcoast; 03-09-2013 at 05:19 AM.

Lemonier is a great pass rusher. Playing in space? Looks real stiff to me.

- westcoast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast