Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Eagles reportedly inquiring about Eric Winston

The Eagles and Texans have reportedly already contacted the agent for RT Eric Winston, who was released by the Chiefs in a somewhat surprising move.

I think Winston is somewhat overrated, as evidenced that he has now been released by two teams in two years. But he would be a good stopgap option at RT and would possibly free Philly up to take Dee Milliner or Dion Jordan at 4 if they like them.

One positive for Winston is that he is a very likable guy, was very popular on the Texans with players and the media, could be good for team chemistry.
    Last edited by Iggloo; 03-07-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Not a bad option to bring in to compete for the right tackle spot.

He supposedly allowed three sacks in 1,000 snaps last season according to Pro Football Focus, which is less than half as many as the combined guys we had playing RT. So even though pass blocking is not his strength he would be a big upgrade there.

He's definitely start if he came here and probably would command some money.

Would he start over Heremens? I don't know that, I do like the fact they are exploring it at least. Tells me they are looking for help everywhere they can. A red flag to me is the fact that Reid cut him.

He would definitely start over Herremans, who was not very good at OT. Herremans is going to be moved inside somehow, probably to RG IMO, or maybe even cut.

I'll take him as a backup.....That is it!

Backup to who? King Dunlap? Some of you guys are funny.

Winston is going to get paid and probably go back to the Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    Backup to who? King Dunlap? Some of you guys are funny.

Winston is going to get paid and probably go back to the Texans.
    No Iggloo, perhaps it is you that is funny.....I do not want the Eagles to pay a guy nearly 10 million a year, we did the dream team thing here once, did we not learn from that....I can't see paying that kind of Starter money...now if Winston is willing to take backup type money say 2 million, and possibly become a starter, then I'm all for it. I'd sooner draft the O-tackle of the future....I do not wanna see the Eagles sink Huge dollars into players that other teams are releasing....There is a reason they are being released. We should have learned our lesson before.

Wouldn't be a bad signing. Say that both Joeckel and Fisher go in the top 3. Or they have a much higher grade on someone at a different position. The tackles after Round 1(except for Fluker at RT who will probably go in Round 1) are developmental types. Guys like Terron Armstead or Kyle Long would probably not be ready to come in and start right away. Certainly wouldn't pay a lot for Winston though.

Winston can still play and he's much better than anything else we have at RT. It all comes down to $$ and how much he wants -- I don't want to overpay for the guy.

If they can get him without overpaying - and i'm thinking approx $5M per, then I'd sign him, and move Todd back to LG, next to Peters, and then move Evan to either RG, to compete with Watkins, or play C, as I think he did play C before - most G and C are proficient at both.

We don't have to get a superstar to play OT, unless we draft one. Otherwise, get a solid OT in FA, and just draft Defense in the 1st 3 rounds.

I think Dennis Kelly will be Chip Kellys guy...he is very athletic, and has long arms, everything Kelly loves in his O-tackles. Dennis Kelly showed some promise for a late rd draft pick.

He wasn't making $10 million in KC before he got cut. What makes anyone think he would cost that much? Jake Long is going to get less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Birds4life81 View Post
    Winston can still play and he's much better than anything else we have at RT. It all comes down to $$ and how much he wants -- I don't want to overpay for the guy.
    Pretty good assessment of the situation.
    Last edited by Iron Eagle; 03-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.

"Me against the world? So what…Im Brian Dawkins
    versus the whole 0 and 16 Lions offense
    So bring on the Giants Falcons and Miami Dolphins…"

No he isnt getting ten million a year, yes he would beat out Herremans at right tackle, and last but not least Dennis Kelly isnt stoppin the Eagles from upgrading. Wings stop it already!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast