Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bah, I forgot, Auburn. I was thinking PSU. NBD. Regardless, I never liked Campbell coming out and I'd take Manual when comparing them as prospects.

In the last 3 days I've heard the following.

Arizona = leaning towards drafting Geno Smith.
    Oakland = cutting Carson Palmer , leaning towards Smith.
    Buffalo = ownership heavy on Smith.
    Jacksonville = ownership is unhappy with QB play. Knows that Gabbert doesn't = ticket sales. Could be staying silent in hopes that no one leap frogs them for Geno.

I think the Kansas City might have themselves a nice draft day in 2013 & 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    The Jags have come out in support of Gabbert a few times this offseason, which I find puzzling. They should be looking for a QB. However, I"m thinking they wait until the first pick of round 2. Barkley,Nassib,Jones and Glennon are all potential options there.

I mentioned Geno as a potential trade target for Arizona. Makes a lot of sense to me. If I"m KC, I make it cheap. Give me a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year and its a done deal. This isn't an RG3 situation, if you hold out for too much, they'll pass.
    I think it's a smokescreen for Jacksonville. They probably aren't going to bail on a high first round pick after just two seasons, but they'll be ready for something if an opportunity presents itself. But (so far), I don't think that this is the draft for it. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a third round pick to pressure him, especially if it's a Landry Jones or similar talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre View Post
    Mayock has now elevated EJ Manuel to #2 in his QB rankings, this probably reflects chatter he is hearing amongst GMs and scouts

Thoughts?
    He has lots of potential, but his decision-making has been suspect and he thinks that he's a lot more elusive than he is. What I remember most about him - unfairly, I should add - is his tendency to spin backwards away from an onrushing defender and lose ten more yards. And this wasn't just against Florida, but against ACC teams like NC State.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    What I remember most about him - unfairly, I should add - is his tendency to spin backwards away from an onrushing defender and lose ten more yards. And this wasn't just against Florida, but against ACC teams like NC State.
    You can probably count on one hand the number of times it's happened to him in his career. My least favorite part about EJ is that he seems to float a bunch of his passes.

Should be a helluva 3-way race for the starting QB spot this coming season for the Noles. The talent everywhere else is still plentiful.

He's a bit of a safe pick IMO actually, but with limited upside. Jason Campbell comes to mind. He has a lot of similarities to Jake Locker as a prospect actually. I liked Locker as a prospect, but he certainly hasn't been great to this point. He's a very good character/work ethic guy, so that would make me more likely to take a chance on him. He's an early 2nd rounder type to me. I wouldn't take him top 10 if I were a team like Buffalo or Arizona or anything.
    Huh? This is pretty much the opposite of what EJ Manuel is as a prospect. He's an incredibly high-risk, high-reward type pick. I have no idea how you could compare him to Campbell and Locker in back-to-back sentences.

Barkley is the safe, limited-upside QB in this draft class.

[QUOTE=Nick Soapdish;6069189]I think it's a smokescreen for Jacksonville. They probably aren't going to bail on a high first round pick after just two seasons, but they'll be ready for something if an opportunity presents itself. But (so far), I don't think that this is the draft for it. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a third round pick to pressure him, especially if it's a Landry Jones or similar talent.

Really? Khan is a pretty aggressive owner. His first draft was 2012 and he made a pretty bold move to get Blackmon when they obviously had larger holes to fill. He had no part in drafting Gabbert and doesn't seem to care for him.

New Coach. New GM.

Why should they care about a QB that they had no part in getting?

Not to mention sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Huh? This is pretty much the opposite of what EJ Manuel is as a prospect. He's an incredibly high-risk, high-reward type pick. I have no idea how you could compare him to Campbell and Locker in back-to-back sentences.

Barkley is the safe, limited-upside QB in this draft class.
    I disagree completely. I'm not saying Campbell and Locker are the same guy, but both have traits that remind me of him. Namely, they all have good arms and are relatively athletic, but they lack the necessary pocket presence and accuracy. I disagree completely that Manuel isn't low upside too. I'd be shocked if he every fixes his issues, particularly his accuracy. However I think he's a safe bet to maximize the things he can do well and have a reasonably lengthy career, generally being one of the league's top backups or low end starters.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Jacksonville needs to cut ties with Gabbert. Its over, he's a sunk cost. They don't have to take Geno, but they need to be looking for a franchise QB starting now.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Jacksonville needs to cut ties with Gabbert. Its over, he's a sunk cost. They don't have to take Geno, but they need to be looking for a franchise QB starting now.
    The fact that I think the Jags

a) Were bought for more than they were worth
    b) Were ranked BELOW the Charlotte Bobcats in merchandising last season...
    c) Will likely not have a key free agent signing this offseason
    d) Are likely to have a huge drop in season ticket holders (Jax economy has sunk)

Would leave me to believe that ownership is just hoping that the Chiefs stick with the no1. pick and draft Floyd or Luke. The cost of a top 5 first round QB is nowhere near what it was in 2009. To the point where, if you fail within 3 years, you could draft another one and not hurt your cap as much.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFin View Post
    You can probably count on one hand the number of times it's happened to him in his career. My least favorite part about EJ is that he seems to float a bunch of his passes.

Should be a helluva 3-way race for the starting QB spot this coming season for the Noles. The talent everywhere else is still plentiful.
    Yeah, he hasn't done it much, but they were all memorable.

It's weird. Sometimes, he does float them, but he throws a lot of bullets too (sometimes too hard).

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    Really? Khan is a pretty aggressive owner. His first draft was 2012 and he made a pretty bold move to get Blackmon when they obviously had larger holes to fill. He had no part in drafting Gabbert and doesn't seem to care for him.

New Coach. New GM.

Why should they care about a QB that they had no part in getting?
    Honestly, I thought that receiver was their biggest hole last year, but my main reason in assuming that it's a smokescreen to say that Jax likes Gabbert is twofold.
    I'm assuming that Nastradamus is correct in citing Jax's faith in him (which I haven't heard one way or another) and a team isn't likely to publicly undercut a player unless it's to build a fire under him or they're certain that they'll cut him outright. And it isn't the latter.

But if Jax isn't saying anything good about Gabbert, then that doesn't apply.

Or if you're saying that Jax is being upfront when they express confidence in Gabbert (which doesn't seem to be the case since you talked about how Khan doesn't like him), I'm simply skeptical because Gabbert hasn't shown anything to indicate that he's the QB of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    Yeah, he hasn't done it much, but they were all memorable.

It's weird. Sometimes, he does float them, but he throws a lot of bullets too (sometimes too hard).

Honestly, I thought that receiver was their biggest hole last year, but my main reason in assuming that it's a smokescreen to say that Jax likes Gabbert is twofold.
    I'm assuming that Nastradamus is correct in citing Jax's faith in him (which I haven't heard one way or another) and a team isn't likely to publicly undercut a player unless it's to build a fire under him or they're certain that they'll cut him outright. And it isn't the latter.

But if Jax isn't saying anything good about Gabbert, then that doesn't apply.

Or if you're saying that Jax is being upfront when they express confidence in Gabbert (which doesn't seem to be the case since you talked about how Khan doesn't like him), I'm simply skeptical because Gabbert hasn't shown anything to indicate that he's the QB of the future.
    Let's take ownership away , and look at their coaching staff. They hired Miami's OC - Jedd Fisch (former Seattle QB coach) to run the offense. He really helped adjust Stephen Morris to the Pro Style Miami playbook - allowing him to still move around.

Not sure about all the "word is" or "I'm hearing" stuff, but I believe in real things: Eagles were in Morgantown with Geno today and by "Eagles", I mean their owner, GM and coach. That's either an epic smokescreen to trade down or they're in love with him. I guess you could say it's extreme due diligence, too, 'cept I don't think owners go along for due diligence.

Someone is taking him in the top 4 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    Let's take ownership away , and look at their coaching staff. They hired Miami's OC - Jedd Fisch (former Seattle QB coach) to run the offense. He really helped adjust Stephen Morris to the Pro Style Miami playbook - allowing him to still move around.
    I don't think Stephen Morris is a player you want on your coaching resume for proof of development.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast