Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just actually looked up Abraham stats.

No one in the NFL currently has more career sacks than him. Is currently 13th all time and will likely pass Derrick Thomas to move into 12 place this coming season. I would not have guessed either of those things.

He certainly is a bit of a compiler but still it has been a hell of a career.

He was a stud no doubt. Compiler even probably isn't fair. We will have to see what they do to replace him I guess.

I definitely don't agree that 5 mil of cap space, is "peanuts" though.

edit - I was guessing on the numbers. Its 3.25 mil actually.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 03-01-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

If they don't think $3.5 million for 10 sacks and 6 forced fumbles is good value, wait until they see what they're going to pay on the free agent market for that kinda of pass rush production. Finding pass rushers on the unrestricted free agent market isn't really where I would go to uncover value.
    “I spent a lot of money on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” -- George Best

I don't particularly like getting rid of Abraham because this forces us to overpay for a FA DE or overdraft a DE in round 1. I do think there is an excellent chance he still plays for the Falcons though. I will admit that he hasn't had near the snaps the last couple of years. Not sure the reason but he has been an amazing Falcon and I was so pissed when they traded a first for him years ago.
    Go Falcons

Does Robinson have anything left in the tank?
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

Quote Originally Posted by VikingFan2k2 View Post
    Does Robinson have anything left in the tank?
    I was always OK with Robinson. He would get beat from time to time but not bad. He is very physical and lays the wood for a CB. I could see him being a safety in a few years. He needs to be on a team where he can get his hands on the WR.
    Go Falcons

When I saw this, I got on the same track as everyone. Abraham still seems to have enough in the tank for a nice legacy run.

Two pass rushers in the past decade have gave the Pats fits, and that was Abraham with the Jets and Freeney. Now both are in very similar circumstances.

I feel plenty a contender will look to add either as a situational guy to make a last hurrah.

Who knows, could be a good faith thing, where the Falcons will let him go for a couple of years, but the door is always open to come back.

Osi is from Atlanta and is probably going to sign.

But at this stage he's a situational rusher and not an every down lineman. Also curious how much they'll give him.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNBlue View Post
    That's a bit relative to what the people replacing him can give you.
    As a Falcons fan, I will be eternally grateful for Abraham. He was a solid presence for the team. It helped that the coaches rotated him out often enough to keep him healthier than he had been in the past, the final regular season game vs. Tampa not withstanding. That said, it was time. He had 10 sacks this past season, but 5 of those came in games against the Raiders and the Cardinals. In the final 6 games he only had 1 sack.

He is among my all-time favorite Falcons (and Gamecocks), but it was time.
    "I just want to be a really filthy old man and get paid for it." -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Duke 21 View Post
    Osi is from Atlanta and is probably going to sign.

But at this stage he's a situational rusher and not an every down lineman. Also curious how much they'll give him.
    Yeah, this is my fear. Although signing Osi couldn't possibly be nearly as bad as the Ray Edwards signing.

Falcons spent so many resources on that offense that the D needs to be completely rebuilt. Their best secondary player is coming off injury and the others are free agents. They got no pass rush all year and they just released their best guy. If you get an elite QB you shouldn't have to surround him with so many high picks. They overspent on offense and now the defense needs a lot of work. Where is all that help going to come from? You can't build a defense through free agency.

Really they only added Jones for significant cost once they drafted Ryan. The D has some pieces, they just need a re-tool, not a rebuild.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

What pieces?

I saw former first round pick Weatherspoon getting abused by the Niners. Has Jerry developed much? They don't get any pressure.

The last 2 years they used 5/6 of their first 3 picks on offense.
    Last edited by eaglesnut; 03-08-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    What pieces?

I saw former first round pick Weatherspoon getting abused by the Niners. Has Jerry developed much? They don't get any pressure.

The last 2 years they used 5/6 of their first 3 picks on offense.
    Jerry has not panned out at all. In spite of that, they're pretty solid on the interior DL The secondary is in very good shape. DeCoud and Moore at safety, Samuel and Grimes at the corners, assuming Grimes makes it back. Biggest needs are pass rusher and some upgrades at MLB and OLB.

But I agree-this draft needs to be heavily focused on defense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12