Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matt Elam

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    I'm hoping teams are scared off by Elam's height and allow him to drop to us in Rd 2. With it being such a deep Safety draft some may choose to address in later in the draft.
    That would be sweet.

Bottom line is some of these safeties will make it to the top of the second round unless there is a huge run at the position. Since I expect some teams to reach for players like QBs OTs and pass rushers, I think some safety guys will slide.

Elam weighed in at 5-10 and 208, so he is a little on the smaller side for a safety and that might cause him to drop, even though he hits like a ton of bricks and can run.

The problem you face with shorter Safety's is that they sometimes have to cover the TE's and most of those guys are 6'4" and up. That's a hard task even for 6'0", 6'1" Safety's ... much less a 5'10" Safety. That said, I'd take Elam in a heartbeat if still there in Rd 2 for us.

I'll be surprised if Elam is not there for us, except maybe the Ravens take him if they can't resign Reed. I like Elam, but any of the top Safeties I like as well. The problem is if the Eagles sign a FA S, then they lok to fill other of our many needs: OT; OLB/DE; DT; CB.

Quote Originally Posted by old duke View Post
    I'll be surprised if Elam is not there for us, except maybe the Ravens take him if they can't resign Reed. I like Elam, but any of the top Safeties I like as well. The problem is if the Eagles sign a FA S, then they lok to fill other of our many needs: OT; OLB/DE; DT; CB.
    We could go from the outhouse at Safety...to the Penthouse. Sign Goldson or Byrd and draft Elam.

Getting a read on Kelly defensively is hard right now but listening in it sounds like he values size and speed on defense which means Elam at 5ft 10 might now be in there plans. I personally don't care, Elam can flat out play and I would be thrilled with him in round 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12