Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 54 of 54
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hotel 23
    Posts
    5,774
    So can Johnny Heisman enter the draft after next season? or I guess he will have 2 more seasons?
    Be Thankful for Everything for Soon there will be Nothing!

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    37,727
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSeahawk View Post
    Clearly I do, or I wouldn't have brought it up. I'm not debating whether it's legal, I'm saying I don't agree with it.
    and I"m saying your opinion on the subject makes no sense.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    21,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmore View Post
    So can Johnny Heisman enter the draft after next season? or I guess he will have 2 more seasons?
    He RS his first season so yes he would be eligible after this upcoming season.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hotel 23
    Posts
    5,774
    Quote Originally Posted by 9ERS4EVA View Post
    He RS his first season so yes he would be eligible after this upcoming season.
    ah, the redshirt was my next question, thanks
    Be Thankful for Everything for Soon there will be Nothing!

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    11,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    Taking a year off to avoid injury is such an interesting idea. If only some other famous players had proven their dominance in college during their Freshman and Sophmore years, and then taken a year off. It sure would be interesting to see how that turned out. Like maybe if you were a star running back that had just carried your school to a national championship, or a dominating WR who had also brought your team to national glory. Maybe in this little fantasy scenario that I dreamed up we could call the players Maurice Clarrett and Mike Williams. Those sound like good names for players.

    Good players in college are not always good players in the pro's. It could very well be that those two players would never have been good anyways. It could also turn out that Clowney could sit out a year and turn out good. Or play and dominate and not get injured and still be a bust. Or any other combination thereof.

    Reagrdless, I wouldn't draft a guy that sat out a year, and I know a lot of teams that want guys who love football would remove him from their boards completely, or at least move him down a few rounds.
    so far hes the number 1 overall pick, i mean if he takes a year off would a team pass up a franchise end because of that?

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    57,515
    Anyone who would question his love of the game or try to use a word like "quit" because he makes a BUSINESS decision needs to have some sense knocked into them.

    He's not quitting, and he doesn't not like football. He's looking out for his best interests. And after watching your teammate's leg look it'd been in a car wreck, I don't see how anyone could blame him.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    37,727
    If he loves business, great for him, but guys who love football don't take a year off. Its not a criticism, its a fact. Its how these guys are wired.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    57,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    If he loves business, great for him, but guys who love football don't take a year off. Its not a criticism, its a fact. Its how these guys are wired.
    So any player who transferred schools also doesn't' love football?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Orlando/Tallahassee
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    Usually the insurer (Lloyds of London?) agrees to take the payment when the insured gets his contract. So let's say it was a $5M insurance policy with a $1M premium...

    ...if Clowney gets hurt, LoL pays him $5M. If he doesn't, Clowney pays LoL $1M of his signing bonus.

    PFT covered the insurance in one of its posts. The NCAA offers a $5 mil policy for career-ending injuries. The premium is about 40k and it's spread out enough to make it affordable to families who want to pursue that avenue.

    Now if you're talking about separate insurance then I don't know and you may be right, but as far as the NCAA policy goes, it's set up to at least try and help some of these kids. Of course PFT then goes on to state that it thinks the NCAA should pay for the premium for all of their athletes because of how much money the NCAA makes. PFT loves stirring pots that either don't need to be stirred or no one cares if it's stirred.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.