Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I like wrestling, Asian martial arts, fencing, all that stuff.

In small doses, at least -- the pacing from a spectator standpoint is problematic, either too slow (most of them) or too fast (fencing).

Anyhow, wrestling may literally be mankind's oldest sport. Just for historical reasons it belongs in.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    Anyhow, wrestling may literally be mankind's oldest sport. Just for historical reasons it belongs in.
    I'll second this emotion. I'm a little stunned that they even contemplated removing wrestling for the Olympics and to actually remove is very disappionting.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

You shouldn't be stunned. The Networks won't bid as much for, and the sponsors won't pay as much to be the official ___ of the Olympic games if they maintain sports that aren't being watched.
    That's all that matters.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    You shouldn't be stunned. The Networks won't bid as much for, and the sponsors won't pay as much to be the official ___ of the Olympic games if they maintain sports that aren't being watched.
    That's all that matters.
    The decision for the last slot came down to wrestling vs. modern pentathlon.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    That's all that matters.
    Pretty much.

Coming from an ex-wrestler: this is a marginal sport. I'm not saying politics weren't involved in its removal from the Olympics, but it's a little naive to think that it didn't belong there in the first place. It has a limited appeal outside of a comparative handful of countries, and needed two or three other sports to fill one of the smaller venues at the London Olympics (basketball and swimming, by comparison, routinely filled much larger venues on their own).

NBC is a for-profit business. If they could get more ratings from showing wrestling rather than another sport--whether swimming or rhythmic gymnastics or golf or rugby--why wouldn't they?

NBC also has plenty of opportunities to show NCAA wrestling in January and February, once football's done--and yet they don't do that, either. Neither does Fox, neither does CBS, and ABC only shows it on ESPN2 or ESPN3 until the finals.

Why isn't Real Pro Wrestling still going strong, instead of folding after two years? Why didn't Fox build a high-profile programming schedule around it instead of relegating it to a subsidiary network that didn't even carry the Fox name?

How many pay-per-view amateur wrestling events are there per year, as opposed to boxing or UFC?
    “The great unmentionable evil at the center of our culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze Age text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human religions have evolved – Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. These are sky-god religions. They are, literally, patriarchal – God is the Omnipotent Father – hence the loathing of women for 2000 years in those countries afflicted by the sky-god and his earthly male delegates.”—Gore Vidal

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234