Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 168
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    B.C
    Posts
    9,388
    1) The odds of making a hole in one are 4000 to 1, so that is a silly comparison, LOL. Its almost pure luck. (I've got one and I play roughly 50 rounds per year)

    2) I wouldnt take a single QB in round one, but if I had to take one at the top of round two, I would take Tyler Bray to be honest. If his head is on straight and he gets some good coaching...Watch out.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,231
    I have nothing against Tannehill, I like him going forward quite a bit acutally. I think Geno's the better prospect though. Even if he's behind I'd say its only slightly. I think it would be quite hard to say he's a worse prospect than Gabbert,Locker,Ponder or Weeden though.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    10,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I have nothing against Tannehill, I like him going forward quite a bit acutally. I think Geno's the better prospect though. Even if he's behind I'd say its only slightly. I think it would be quite hard to say he's a worse prospect than Gabbert,Locker,Ponder or Weeden though.
    This is how I would rank them if, hypothetically, they were in the same draft. (2011-2013 1st round only)

    1. Andrew Luck
    2. RGIII
    3. Cam Newton





    4. Ryan Tannehill



    5. Christian Ponder
    6. Jake Locker
    7. Brandon Weeden


    8. Geno Smith
    9. Blaine Gabbert

    Obviously guys like Dalton, Kaep, and Wilson would be higher than 5 , but for argument sake I left them out.
    Not sure if it's GAME OVER for Locker but it doesn't feel like the Titans are the right fit for him.
    Last edited by dasher; 02-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,213
    That's just...wrong/strange/hard to believe/hilarious/yeahsureyourenottryingwaytoohardtobedifferent.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,231
    I gotta agree with wyndham here. I guess you'll be the smartest guy in the room if Geno is an epic failure. There isn't much left to be said at this point.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    10,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I gotta agree with wyndham here. I guess you'll be the smartest guy in the room if Geno is an epic failure. There isn't much left to be said at this point.
    Listen, if West Virginia or the Texas Tech Air Raid had any prior success of developing a Pro Style QB. Maybe, I'd be more enthusiastic.

    But you're talking about a system that involves little thinking against un athletic secondaries and linebackers in the once great Big XII.

    Call me wrong 1000x. But even Gabbert against Iowa (which had 3 players go in the 1st round) looked better than Geno vs Syracuse. Even Locker, who had a fairly ugly senior year, had 2 games where he came from behind and looked like his old self.

    Neither of you have ever come to the plate and explained how he got shell-shocked against K-State and Texas Tech.

    To me, most of you are riding on his first 5 games. And the rest of the season didn't happen.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    57,934
    Comparing a game in a freaking blizzard to some of those is just crazy.

    Geno would easily be ahead of Locker and Ponder.

    Ponder?

    Ponder wasn't even a 1st round QB IMO, and honestly I probably wouldn't have touched him in round 2.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,213
    Yeah, it's like it's cool to harp on about his performance in a snow bowl, but not even the slightest acknowledgement of when, for instance, he dropped 75%, 400 yards and 6 TDs on a higher-ranked team in a BCS Bowl game. Just reeks of a real bias.

    And, hey, maybe you're biased against the system. I'd get that, he has to prove he can play in the NFL, but at least give off the appearance of judging him fairly.

    Better pass on Aaron Rodgers, he played in a Tedford offense. Right?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    10,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Yeah, it's like it's cool to harp on about his performance in a snow bowl, but not even the slightest acknowledgement of when, for instance, he dropped 75%, 400 yards and 6 TDs on a higher-ranked team in a BCS Bowl game. Just reeks of a real bias.

    And, hey, maybe you're biased against the system. I'd get that, he has to prove he can play in the NFL, but at least give off the appearance of judging him fairly.

    Better pass on Aaron Rodgers, he played in a Tedford offense. Right?
    Rodgers also had to sit on the bench and had Brian Brohm picked in the 2nd round because even management doubted his transition.

    I get it "Wyn" ... you're a Chiefs fan.

    Drafting a QB after years of never doing it > Drafting the Right Person At the Right Time

    I'm also a Chiefs fan. I spent September and October hoping the Chiefs would have the worst record because
    i enjoyed watching the highlight tape of Smith in September (and that bowl game footage).

    But if we're going to pull out Junior Stats, why don't we start putting Matt Barkley at no.1 ?
    I mean that would be more fair because Barkley played in the same offense?
    Whereas Geno was playing in Dana Holgorsen's hybrid Spread Option (which he eliminated in 2012).

    This "crazy" talk is really more like "stupid talk" because you don't really know anything about the game of football.
    You don't talk routes or progression or anything. It's more like contrary statements that involve stats instead of Xs and Os.
    You feel the tiniest bit relevant because someone from a Chiefs Blog thinks it's a smart idea so you don't have a problem saying it too.

    Smith was a hot QB. The same way Locker was. The same way that Barkley was. And Leinart. And Clausen.

    But his Senior Season shows flaws. Flaws that have nothing to do with a flucking Blizzard. Flaws that have me , a kid that has never seen the Chiefs draft a QB in the 1st round his entire life, saying that the wait should probably continue for everyone's sake.

    He's Below NFL Average and 1st round Rookie average at Reading a Defense.
    He struggles tremendously when you send a delayed blitzer on him.
    He struggles tremendously when you bump his primary receiver at the line.
    His footwork to avoid pass rush isn't there.
    He doesn't perform well when he takes a snap directly under center.
    He doesn't know how to lead a comeback from 2 scores, and frankly he gives up if you knock him hard enough in the 1st quarter.

    If you have a better reason for his struggles. Which I know you really don't. Then great. But the argument is done.

    Where the F*** is there Bias. Or Unbias? I spell it out for you like a fricken child. But you don't read any of it. So I'm done with this.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    57,934
    I feel like your check list describes both Ponder and Locker as well.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    10,154
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    I feel like your check list describes both Ponder and Locker as well.
    Actually, wouldn't you say its the opposite - at least with Locker.

    The hype you could have on Geno was that he's accurate in the pocket. And as I said, when you get pressure on him, he doesn't do well on his feet.

    Locker had accuracy issues , mostly because he was forcing throws in the pocket. When he got out of the pocket (Which is Where He Shined his Junior Year), he was much more accurate. Unfortunately - Sarkasian didn't roll him out as much - partially because he had an injury issues that lagged on for the rest of the year. And unlike Geno, he had horrible WRs that couldn't go deep. A lot of it wasn't "confusion" , it was the fact that he didn't want to throw the ball away and risk an INT.

    Locker dropped like an anvil in 2010/2011 and some people said he was a 2nd round pick. But he manned up, admitted his mistakes, and went to the Senior Bowl, Threw at the Combine, and - according to Gruden - put together the best interview he had (along with Dalton). That got the interest of the Titans , and according to Kiper some teams even had him higher than Newton.

    W/ Christian Ponder.

    Like Geno, he was a short passing game guy but he had very good mobility and footwork. He had injury concerns with his throwing shoulder and arm. So health was an issue prior to the draft. Unlike Geno, he played in the Senior Bowl and played lights out earning him Senior Bowl MVP. When he went to the Combine, he did every test available and passed the physical.

    He came from a Hybrid WCO offense which helped him get draft value. And his DEEP Timing was good. He was also praised for being smart (graduated with 2 MBAs at FSU). But all the same, he wasn't considered "sexy". 6'2 and tape that wasn't the HUGE BOX SCORE numbers that made people... like Wyn loves ... think that Blaine Gabbert would be a better prospect.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,231
    Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    Listen, if West Virginia or the Texas Tech Air Raid had any prior success of developing a Pro Style QB. Maybe, I'd be more enthusiastic.

    But you're talking about a system that involves little thinking against un athletic secondaries and linebackers in the once great Big XII.

    Call me wrong 1000x. But even Gabbert against Iowa (which had 3 players go in the 1st round) looked better than Geno vs Syracuse. Even Locker, who had a fairly ugly senior year, had 2 games where he came from behind and looked like his old self.

    Neither of you have ever come to the plate and explained how he got shell-shocked against K-State and Texas Tech.

    To me, most of you are riding on his first 5 games. And the rest of the season didn't happen.
    I'm not saying he has no flaws or that he's had zero bad games. If that were the case, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He'd be negotiating his contract with KC within a few weeks(can they do that any more?).

    I would say though, that you are in part drafting him if you are KC because you believe Reid can work with him on his problem areas. All the things that you list are pretty fixable IMO.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 02-11-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    57,934
    He's Below NFL Average and 1st round Rookie average at Reading a Defense.
    He struggles tremendously when you send a delayed blitzer on him.
    He struggles tremendously when you bump his primary receiver at the line.
    His footwork to avoid pass rush isn't there.
    He doesn't perform well when he takes a snap directly under center.
    He doesn't know how to lead a comeback from 2 scores, and frankly he gives up if you knock him hard enough in the 1st quarter.
    I think the only thing Locker can do on this list is avoid the pass rush. But not in the way you're probably implying. He can do it if he's running for his life, or scrambing. Not to move around in the pocket and make a throw 20 yards downfield.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,213
    Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    But you don't read any of it.
    Believe me, I don't think anyone manages to get through one of your 11-reads-per-year blog posts. Especially after you come out with the kind of garbage you do in this thread, claiming you know something about football? And you rank EJ Manuel #1? Bwahahaha.

    But you know the real funny thing? You think it's me who's hopping on board what "a Chiefs blog says", when in fact I'm outspoken against the complete groupthink which pollute KC's fanbase, people like you -- who want to tank a season so they can draft a LT #1 to replace a first-round LT who gave up 1 sack last year. Yeah, because it's the "safe" thing to do. The same idiots who wanted to draft Aaron Curry #3 overall. And you think you're going against the grain by not liking Smith? Haha, wake up and smell the coffee. You're a true fan, you long for 8-8 every year achieved by having an OL with five top 10 picks.

    I'll take the QB #1, and if he busts? Big deal. I'll do it again in 3 years.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    10,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Believe me, I don't think anyone manages to get through one of your 11-reads-per-year blog posts. Especially after you come out with the kind of garbage you do in this thread, claiming you know something about football? And you rank EJ Manuel #1? Bwahahaha.

    But you know the real funny thing? You think it's me who's hopping on board what "a Chiefs blog says", when in fact I'm outspoken against the complete groupthink which pollute KC's fanbase, people like you -- who want to tank a season so they can draft a LT #1 to replace a first-round LT who gave up 1 sack last year. Yeah, because it's the "safe" thing to do. The same idiots who wanted to draft Aaron Curry #3 overall. And you think you're going against the grain by not liking Smith? Haha, wake up and smell the coffee. You're a true fan, you long for 8-8 every year achieved by having an OL with five top 10 picks.

    I'll take the QB #1, and if he busts? Big deal. I'll do it again in 3 years.
    My favorite part is that you said nothing about your own knowledge of football. You just pointed out flaws in mine. Last year I wanted Tannehill and the year prior I wanted Watt, Rudolph, Dalton, or Kaep.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.