Tennessee's "Don't Say Gay" bill.

This bill gets 2nd life!

The bill, SB 234, still bars Tennessee teachers from discussing any facet of “non-heterosexual” sexuality with children in grades K-8. But the newest iteration also includes a provision requiring teachers or counselors to inform the parents of some students who identify themselves as LGBT. State Sen. Stacey Campfield (R), who authored the bill the first time around and again introduced it this time, calls out students who might be “at risk,” but leaves the interpretation of that behavior to the teacher:
    The general assembly recognizes that certain subjects are particularly sensitive and are, therefore, best explained and discussed within the home. Because of its complex societal, scientific, psychological, and historical implications, human sexuality is one such subject. Human sexuality is best understood by children with sufficient maturity to grasp its complexity and implications [...]
    A school counselor, nurse, principal or assistant principal from counseling a student who is engaging in, or who may be at risk of engaging in, behavior injurious to the physical or mental health and well-being of the student or another person; provided, that wherever possible such counseling shall be done in consultation with the student’s parents or legal guardians. Parents or legal guardians of students who receive such counseling shall be notified as soon as practicable that such counseling has occurred
    link:
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Question

Of course it's a silly bill just on the face of it... but why would any K-8 lesson need to involve sexuality (gay or otherwise) to begin with?

This is a "solution" without a problem.
    Although it is said that our faith concerns matters which are obscure, the reasons for embracing the faith are not obscure but on the contrary are clearer than any natural light.
    -Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by Gmaniac View Post
    Of course it's a silly bill just on the face of it... but why would any K-8 lesson need to involve sexuality (gay or otherwise) to begin with?
    I think I started sex ed classes in 5th grade and that was in 1979. I think they start earlier now. In fact, a conservative evangelical minister I know is working on a book advising parents to start talking about sex as early as kindergarten. Granted, that is parents, but he certainly doesn't think the age is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmaniac View Post
    This is a "solution" without a problem.
    Depends on what you think the problem is. Bills like this identify the problem as openly talking about homosexuality and seek to isolate LGBTQ youth from their peers. It worked wonders in Bachmann's district in Minnesota where LGBTQ teen suicides skyrocketed under a similar policy. Problem solved!
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

I still haven't had any formal sex education. Just telling the bitch that what she wants and what she'll get are up to me have led me down the path to Nirvana.
    Gang Way!

There are some really good books put out by a Christian book company. They are broken up into a series of 3 for age groups. They do a very good job explaining in a way that is understandable but not sexual.
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.