Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2013 Off Season: Butchers Bill

Going to start listing the players cut by the Lions since it doesn't really (all) belong in the Titus thread :)

1. Titus Young ($900k salary cap hit**)- IFoWR
    2. Stephen Peterman ($3.2 salary cap cleared)- RG
    3. KVB ($8.5M salary cap cleared)- RDE
    4. Cory Williams ($???M salary cap cleared)- DT

Net Salary Effect To Date - $10.8 salary cap cleared

Cap Data Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/det/

Click link, click on Peterman and KVB and they explain the cap savings for Detroit.

**There is some confusion about this number. It may not include the cap space we recovered by not paying $790k to Young his 2013 salary / roster bonus / and work-out bonus. So maybe this number should only be a $110k hit against the cap?
    Last edited by The Cryin Lion; 02-07-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

I like the way things are going. Gotta clear up the cap and we've started with some solid moves. I'm hoping Backus is next followed by a restructure for Nate and a new Stafford deal. I know many hate on Raiola, but we will probalby end up being best off keeping him. With all the OL turnover, having stability at C could be important. If a top C falls in our laps, I'd be ok with taking him, but we can probably use our 2nd rounder better(where I assume we'd have to get one). We may be able to get Raiola to take a paycut too. Maybe instead of 4 mil he'd take 2 or 3 after talking to his agent about the open market. He could definitely get another starting job, but not sure for how much.

I'm hoping Nagy or Fox can nail down RG. That would be huge, leaving us with one less hole to fill.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Barrett Jones, round 2.

BTW -- TITUS YOUNG picked up on waivers by the St. Louis Rams. Now he can start comparing himself to Danny Amendola.

Give me Danny any day and TWICE on Sundays.

Wonder what the over/under is until he tries to sucker punch Cortland Finnegan?
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

Centers not athletic enough to play LT on the best O-Line in the country have gone higher than the 5th pick of round 2. Guys who never won the Outland Trophy as the best lineman in football. I like Jones a bunch too, but I really don't see him being there in round 2. Fortunately Raiola isn't due a bonus, so there is no hurry on cutting him. If we did get Jones in the draft, we could cut Dominic the next day.

Strange that Fischer and St Louis signed Young. Either he doesn't think as highly of Schwartz as we were led to believe, or he thinks awful highly of himself. Titus Young was out of control completely and totally as little as a week ago or whatever.

Sometimes maybe you just think a change of scenery can help a guy. They are taking basically no risk on Titus. The first time he screws up, they can dump him.

I get what Jones did in college, but I don't think he's going to be rated as highly in the draft as you think. I won't be surprised if he's gone by our 2nd rounder(4th pick actually IIRC), but I don't get the sense that he's rated as an elite C prospect like a Mangold,Pouncey or Mack(as a prospect). Fredericks may even go before him, though maybe as a G. I agree though, its nice that we have the luxury of cutting Raiola after the draft if need be.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

I think Fischer feels Young is talented, and since they don't have to pay him any guaranteed money they can just cut him if he creates a problem. My guess is that Young plays nice for a year, blows up after that and gets cut. Not much risk for St. Louis.

I edited my first post to indicate 2013 Salary Cap Impact of roster moves.

You positive on those numbers? Not to be a dick, but I've heard some other ones floating around.

I added the source for the cap data to my OP above.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/det/

The numbers on Young I took from what is being reported in the detroit news papers.

I believe the -$900k hit is from the $1.81M signing bonus. The final two years of his contract would constitute half of that figure, so right around $900k and they would accelerate as soon as he were cut.

I guess what is interesting is that the number probably doesn't count the reduction in Youngs cap hit due dropping his 2013 salary ($550,000), Roster Bonus (~$185k) and Work Out Bonus ($55k).

So maybe our net change is only a $110k hit against our cap.

What numbers are you hearing, Nas?

Here's one site I had been looking at earlier in the offseason

http://thenetrat.blogspot.com/2013/0...situation.html

The guys who were cut were erased from the list you posted, so I couldn't really see what it said or what it was basing its numbers off of. I have no idea who is right fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    Centers not athletic enough to play LT on the best O-Line in the country have gone higher than the 5th pick of round 2. Guys who never won the Outland Trophy as the best lineman in football. I like Jones a bunch too, but I really don't see him being there in round 2. Fortunately Raiola isn't due a bonus, so there is no hurry on cutting him. If we did get Jones in the draft, we could cut Dominic the next day.
    Well, Jones is no secret. But neither was DeCastro last year. Interior linemen slip. That's a fact. Sure he could be gone by 2.4, but if he's not I'd snatch him in an instant.

I'd even CONSIDER trading out of 5 for a 12-15 range and getting both Warmack and Jones. We'd suck on D next year, but our OLine would be set for the next 10 years.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

I wouldn't want both, but I'd be cool with getting one. I love Warmack, but I think we can find a good enough OG/C later.

I'm really hoping we can trade Joeckel or FIsher to a team like SD or maybe St.Louis and pick up at least an extra 2nd. That would be perfect. There will be a lot of good defenders available between 10 and 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I wouldn't want both, but I'd be cool with getting one. I love Warmack, but I think we can find a good enough OG/C later.

I'm really hoping we can trade Joeckel or FIsher to a team like SD or maybe St.Louis and pick up at least an extra 2nd. That would be perfect. There will be a lot of good defenders available between 10 and 20.
    This would be the perfect situation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast