Teach like a Champion

Doug Lemov and his 49 Teach like a Champion Techniques are used in many charter schools and is encouraged is some public schools as effective teaching strategies (it's in our districts cache of professional development videos). It would be funny, if it were a satirical video.

If these methods appeal to you, Match Education, may just be what you're looking for. Like Match.com, this organization seeks to place would be nonprofessionals in the education field:
    Tough MutTer, a 10-hour “teacher obstacle course” in which would-be teachers at No Excuses charter schools run teaching drills with real-live urban high school students:

Thinking about becoming a teacher, whether through Teach For America or another path? The job is hard and a lot of people quit. The obstacle course is designed to test your instinctive teaching chops, emotional readiness, grit, and teamwork. This day is a fun way to learn about yourself, and whether teaching is really your calling. Tough MutTer is affectionately modeled on Tough Mudder. Tough Mudder events are hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces. Tough MutTeR is designed by Match Teacher Residency (MTR).
    "Great!" you say? New avenues to recruit new teachers? Well, sure except they have a much higher than average attrition rate (2 years), less training and development, and lets not forget the delightful effect frequent turnover has on our most vulnerable students (they only place in "No excuses" urban charters)!
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Boston Charters using Match Education and Lemov's strategies Attrition rates for 2012:
    2012 Teacher Turnover

Roxbury Preparatory Charter: 50%
    Edward Brook Charter: 49%
    Spirit of Knowledge Charter: 47%
    New Leadership Charter: 47%
    Boston Preparatory Charter: 35%
    KIPP Academy Charter Lynn: 35%
    Boston Renaissance: 35%
    Pioneer Charter School of Science: 35%
    City on a Hill: 33%
    Martin Luther King Jr. Charter School of Excellence: 33%
    Smith Leadership Charter: 32% (down from 58% in 2011)
    Conservatory Lab Charter: 30% (down from 56% in 2011)
    MATCH: 25%
    Mike Goldstein, chief design officer for MATCH, has a different take on why these schools burn through teachers:

Many of the people we attract simply do not want to be lifetime teachers. This is true of many talented folks from many sectors: they do not want any one career. Instead, we welcome talented people who basically say “I’ll give the kids everything I have for perhaps 5 years. Then I’m gone. It’s not burnout. It’s that I simply don’t want to teach 9th grade algebra my whole life. Is that of interest to your school?” No Excuses schools say yes (in a million different ways). Traditional schools say “Whatever.”
    i.e. great teachers are defined by the brevity of their careers. Good Lord, let's throw all the research out the window now.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error