Thread: Keeper Help

Keeper Help

Roto league. 7 x 7. I came in 5th of 12 last year.

R, HR, RBI, K, SB, SLG, OBP

W, L, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB

5 keepers:

A. McCutchen, S. Castro & M. Cain are obvious.

I have a LARGE group I need to pick 2 more out of. The rest of my 2012 hitters, basically. In order of consideration:

Chris Davis (30+ HR). (He'll be my 3rd keeper, probably.)
    Brett Lawrie (break out year if healthy?)
    Matt Joyce
    Brandon Phillips (you know what you're getting, but declining. Position scarcity.)
    Alfonso Soriano (great 2012)
    Austin Jackson
    Wilin Rosario (28 HR from the catcher)
    Brandon Moss (great numbers in half a season of ABs)
    Justin Ruggiano (see above)
    Kyle Lohse (really good 2012, over 200 innings. Could be had later, I guess)
    Hiroki Kuroda (see above)

I have Gerrit Cole and Dylan Bundy on my minors roster. That surely eliminates me burning a keeper on Lohse and/or Kuroda. We have 4 total minors spots, and Bret Jackson and Bubba Starling are the other two guys. I'll start my season with Jackson on the bench. So midseason, I'll have 3 out of 4 minors roster spots open.

If we have an open spot this season, I'll advertise it here. It's pretty well-run.

1) I'm not a fan of Jackson or Starling as minor league keepers. You surely can do better IMO.

2) I almost think Austin Jackson might be a great pick. He's not big on power, but he can fill in solidly everywhere else.

3) for phillips, i'd want to see what other 2B are being kept. His OBP really hurts you. And if you kept him and Davis you'd almost be tanking the category

4) I'd actually probably go with Wililn Rosario if I was gonna take a low OBP guy just becuse catchers who can cover 5 categories are gonna be rare enough. And Coors field doesn't hurt...
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Ok.

It's going to be Lawrie and either Davis or Phillips. I think I might have to retain my 2B-SS-3B combo. There's going to be a lot more good OF and 1B out there I can get in the early rounds. Last year I plucked quality contributors like Davis, Rosario, Moss and Ruggiano from the FA pool and was in 1st place with this team for the middle 3 months of the season.
    Last edited by BigFin; 02-05-2013 at 01:47 AM.

I'd go Rosario, but I get what you're doing loading up on INF.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by BigFin View Post
    Ok.

It's going to be Lawrie and either Davis or Phillips. I think I might have to retain my 2B-SS-3B combo. There's going to be a lot more good OF and 1B out there I can get in the early rounds. Last year I plucked quality contributors like Davis, Rosario, Moss and Ruggiano from the FA pool and was in 1st place with this team for the middle 3 months of the season.
    In my 20 team 13x13 Roto league I just traded Salvador Perez for Brett Lawrie. I also had Carlos Santana and Travis d'Arnuad. So I was trying to trade either Perez or Santana. I would have preferred to keep Perez as he wold have only cost me a 9th rd pick versus the 5th Rd pick Santana's going to cost me to keep. I'm able to keep d'Arnaud as 1 of my 3 rookie keepers. I really like Lawrie this year and am expecting him to out perform his projections. He's costing me a 7th to keep an to be honest I think Perez's value is higher if only because he was 2 rounds lower to keep, but it was the best offer I got and I didn't want to be stuck with 3 catchers in a 2 team league.

If I was you I would have probably kept Austin Jackson and either Lawrie or Rosario. I'm just not as worried about a catcher in a 12 team league.

C: W. Rosario
    1B: F. Freeman
    2B: B. Phillips (K)
    SS: S. Castro (K)
    3B: B. Lawrie (K)
    OF: A. McCutchen (K)
    OF: M. Cabrera
    OF: H. Pence
    UT: D. Fowler
    UT: P. Alverez

BN: C. Crisp, D. Ackley, C. Carter

SP: M. Cain (K)
    SP: M. Latos
    SP: J. Johnson
    SP: B. Anderson
    SP: K. Lohse
    RP: J. Putz
    RP: J. Grilli
    RP: S. Cishek

BN: A. Burnett, A. Albuquerque

-------------------

PICKS

(1) M. Latos - SP
    (2) F. Freeman - 1B
    (3) J. Johnson - SP
    (4) W. Rosario - C
    (5) J. Putz - RP
    (6) B. Anderson - SP
    (7) M. Cabrera - OF
    (8) H. Pence - OF
    (9) J. Grilli - RP
    (10) S. Cishek - RP
    (11) D. Fowler - OF
    (12) P. Alverez - 3B
    (13) C. Crisp - OF
    (14) D. Ackley - 1B, 2B
    (15) A. Burnett - SP
    (16) K. Lohse - SP
    (17) A. Albuquerque - RP
    (18) C. Carter - 1B
    Last edited by BigFin; 03-27-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Hope you didn't pass on Action Jackson for Latos.

- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Hope you didn't pass on Action Jackson for Latos.
    It looks like he'll be available with my next pick soon, but I'm going Jordan Zimmerman, who'll also most likely be there. Hitting appears to be a helluva lot deeper than pitching.

I gotta say.

Strikeouts for hitters is a really gay stat.

It's an out, just like any other out.

I guess that hurts a bit for a guy like Jackson who also isn't a great OBP guy.

But pitchers are just so volatile. I'd rather grab nice multi-category hitters. Especially guys who will hit for power.

- Ghandi

Freddie Freeman. Zim went right before me.

I begrudgingly took Freddie but I think I'll end up really liking this one.

I thought Freddie was gonna break out last year. But at this point it's a solid pick. Could be a really nice gain.

- Ghandi

Shoulda kept Chris Davis.