Page 1 of 161 1231151101 ... LastLast

Mid-season TV new/returning shows

Caught the first episode of The Americans. It was OK...entertaining in a 24 enjoy the action and don't allow yourself to get too caught up in the obvious plot holes sort of way. I'll keep with it for now.

Tried to watch the first episode of Do No Harm, just because I always liked Steven Pasquale on Rescue Me. Didn't even make it half way through. Complete excrement.

1600 Penn wasn't too bad...something I'd watch if it happened to be on, but wouldn't make an appointment for, either. Jenna Elfman still has her fastball.

Already talked about the return of Justified in another thread...been a little disappointed with the start, but hoping it gets better.

I think the second half of TWD S3 starts this week.

Still want to check out Kevin Bacon's show but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anything else worth checking out?
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

I watched the first two episodes of The Following (Kevin Bacon's new show) this weekend, and thought they were pretty good, especially for network TV, but ultimately, the limitations that go with network TV could be the shows undoing.

The Following is decent. I agree on the network TV thoughts. 1600 Penn imo was not very good. New season of Californication and Shameless have been back for a couple weeks. Shameless has been outstanding IMO.

Psych will be back on 2/27.

Mad Men APril 7th
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    I watched the first two episodes of The Following (Kevin Bacon's new show) this weekend, and thought they were pretty good, especially for network TV, but ultimately, the limitations that go with network TV could be the shows undoing.
    I tried watching, thought it was awful cliche crap.

Serial killer guy does whatever he wants and police/FBI are powerless to stop him unless the alcoholic ex-FBI or cop guy that caught him comes out of retirement.

Barf.

I always hate the shows that use the worst of writing/plot holes to create the show. I just can't watch any show where one guy can knife through hundreds of cops and FBI agents undetected to do whatever he wants.

In my current rotation (new shows starting up in BOLD):

Grey's Anatomy - Still stuck on this show...need to see it thru to the end.
    Bones - I know I said I'd quit after Brennan and Booth hooked up, but I haven't yet.
    Californication - Just started up again on Showtime...one of my little favorite shows...just absurd...
    Mentalist - Love Patrick Jane's character...
    Justified - Started up a few weeks ago..so-so...
    Switched At Birth - Corny show, but I know people on this show...so..I watch it.

Up in the rotation:

Spartacus - On Starz now, but I love it so much that I am letting a few episodes be added on Demand so I can do a blitz.
    Walking Dead - Back on 2/10 I believe.
    Southland - Back on 2/13 (TNT).
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

The Following

First episode I thought was great and intriguing
    Second episode felt like normal tv - the pacing, lighting, editing, etc was all off and it just felt like a normal weekly show. Ugh.

Still haven't checked out Ripper Street (it is on the DVR) but really no other "mid-season" shows getting my house excited.
    “True terror is to wake up one morning to discover that your high school class is running the country.” - Kurt Vonnegut

If you have Netflix, I have high hopes for David Fincher's remake of House of Cards. The original was absolutely brilliant (perhaps the best political drama ever, I recommend it to anyone), and it'll be a lot more accessible in this version, with the setting shifted from Westminster to Washington. Haven't had the chance to sit and watch more than just a trailer, but Spacey seems to have the character nailed, and the shift in location doesn't seem to have changed the tone any.

Not exactly "TV," but the concept's the same.

Suits came back a few weeks ago, usually only runs in the summer. Same with Necessary Roughness.

Arrow is back, as is Rules of Engagement (tonight).

Mostly looking forward to GOT and TWD.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

I watched the first episode of The Americans on FX but I didn't think it was very good. Will wait and see, seems like a show that AMC could do better.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    I watched the first episode of The Americans on FX but I didn't think it was very good. Will wait and see, seems like a show that AMC could do better.
    AMC has a pretty high bar...I only watch TWD, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad...haven't wasted time watching other shows. The smart thing nowadays is to WAIT for a cult following of a show to begin...if people love it...you can always catch up on DVD later. It's better than watching a so-so show and finding yourself HOPING that it will be cancelled soon because you cannot stop watching...LOL...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Smash just started again. I gather there's a new show-runner, and they've rejiggered some plot lines. So far I like the changes, namely:
    • Dropping the Karen/Dev relationship.
    • Dropping the Julia/Frank/Leo family stuff.
    • Dropping the Ellis character.
    • Having it be about more than one musical.

It seems the retcons will be pretty minor.

To like the show, however, you to have like musicals or similar entertainment-industry stuff, both on stage and behind.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Liking Kat McPhee is sufficient for me.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Mad Men APril 7th
    That should be good. Will Don return to his whoring ways even with his babe wife. Will Roger Sterling continue to drop acid and start wearing love beads. And Peggy?

Page 1 of 161 1231151101 ... LastLast