Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Duchy of Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    35,518

    Richard III's ghost won't be haunting any more parking lots

    Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer ... yeah right ...

    http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/03/world/...ent/index.html
    If all the atheists left the USA, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences, but less than 1% of the prison population.

    -- Richard Dawkins

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stephens City, VA
    Posts
    25,938
    "Yeah, everything that guy just said is Bullsh!t..... Thank you.." -Vincent LaGuardia Gambini-

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The peanut gallery....
    Posts
    39,828
    That's kinda cool...

    Only took 500 years to turn a battleground into a parking lot....

    Makes you wonder what will become of your current residence in 500 years....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    That's kinda cool...

    Only took 500 years to turn a battleground into a parking lot....

    Makes you wonder what will become of your current residence in 500 years....
    It will probably be under water or on fire, same as every other residence.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delft, The Netherlands
    Posts
    10,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    That's kinda cool...

    Only took 500 years to turn a battleground into a parking lot....

    Makes you wonder what will become of your current residence in 500 years....
    AFAIK the battleground - Bosworth Field - actually still exists, fairly intact (Gettysburg - to this point - intact level), and apparently posing some problems for battlefield historians (physical terrain and historical accounts do not seem to match up completely, at least not at first reading).

    The parking lot was the location of Greyfriars - the monastery of the Fransiscan monastery in Leicester - where he was burried in the monastery chapel/church after having been put in display to the populace. Nobody knew for certain what had happened with the remains after the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII. As it turns out now, it remained buried where it had been before, or was reburried in the monastery's cemetery at some point.


    That said, yes, it is interesting to think what might be at the location of one's home in 500 years...
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

    Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Duchy of Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    35,518
    A hearse! A hearse! My kingdom for a hearse!
    If all the atheists left the USA, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences, but less than 1% of the prison population.

    -- Richard Dawkins

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The peanut gallery....
    Posts
    39,828
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchBird View Post
    AFAIK the battleground - Bosworth Field - actually still exists, fairly intact (Gettysburg - to this point - intact level), and apparently posing some problems for battlefield historians (physical terrain and historical accounts do not seem to match up completely, at least not at first reading).

    The parking lot was the location of Greyfriars - the monastery of the Fransiscan monastery in Leicester - where he was burried in the monastery chapel/church after having been put in display to the populace. Nobody knew for certain what had happened with the remains after the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII. As it turns out now, it remained buried where it had been before, or was reburried in the monastery's cemetery at some point.


    That said, yes, it is interesting to think what might be at the location of one's home in 500 years...

    Cool...so it was a monastery instead of a battle ground...yep...still cool anyhow..thanks for sharing.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
    Posts
    40,377
    Pretty neat. THE Richard III.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Manassas, in the Old Dominion
    Posts
    17,845
    What do you all think about this society that found him trying to "re-image" his legacy? He is generally held as a tyrant, a child-torturer (put his nephews in the Tower of London so they could die and not challenge his throne)...These guys are saying that is really the work of the Tudors (I think) rewriting history...?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Berks County, PA
    Posts
    18,709
    Anybody have him in the Death Pool?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Duchy of Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    35,518
    Quote Originally Posted by ErkTheJerk View Post
    Anybody have him in the Death Pool?
    Henry VII did.
    If all the atheists left the USA, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences, but less than 1% of the prison population.

    -- Richard Dawkins

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delft, The Netherlands
    Posts
    10,656
    Quote Originally Posted by duck View Post
    What do you all think about this society that found him trying to "re-image" his legacy? He is generally held as a tyrant, a child-torturer (put his nephews in the Tower of London so they could die and not challenge his throne)...These guys are saying that is really the work of the Tudors (I think) rewriting history...?
    And this society is probably right (or more correct than what is commonly believed) - also considering Henry Tudor's own track record, and the fact that his physical deformation in those times was often believed to be a mark of him by definition being bad/evil. The Tudor's had every interest imaginable to make him look as bad as possible (considering they were the usurpers of the throne, simply judging by last name).
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

    Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Surfing on a ripple of evil.
    Posts
    18,995
    Cool stuff
    As smart as the internet

    We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Duchy of Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    35,518
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchBird View Post
    And this society is probably right (or more correct than what is commonly believed) - also considering Henry Tudor's own track record, and the fact that his physical deformation in those times was often believed to be a mark of him by definition being bad/evil. The Tudor's had every interest imaginable to make him look as bad as possible (considering they were the usurpers of the throne, simply judging by last name).
    I'm not sure Richard III reigned long enough for any opinion about his leadership to be well-founded.
    If all the atheists left the USA, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences, but less than 1% of the prison population.

    -- Richard Dawkins

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Duchy of Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    35,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Cool stuff
    People say that about threads I start a lot. Doesn't help in the POTM voting, however. ;)
    If all the atheists left the USA, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences, but less than 1% of the prison population.

    -- Richard Dawkins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.