Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    No thanks. The fact that you think it's a great piece of work only confirms my belief about the book.
    So that's your excuse? How can you comment on something you have no experience with. You haven't read the book and refuse to do so, and yet trash it as some piece of **** work depicting killing poor Iraqi's. THAT confirms that you have no clue or right to speak of a book you've never even picked up.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

    Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

    Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    7,288
    Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    People did seem a wee bit quick to play the 'douchebag' card on you today...
    People have strong emotions regarding the military in this county, especially about those who serve. This is a sad story and I guess I just did not want to be sad today, so I posted cynically. The "murderer" is an ex-marine with post traumatic syndrome who apparently idolized the person he just killed. He is on suicide watch. So ultimately it may be IN death that Chris Kyle brings the attention to PTSD he was dedicating part of his life too.
    I am clay.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Undisclosed Location
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    So that's your excuse? How can you comment on something you have no experience with. You haven't read the book and refuse to do so, and yet trash it as some piece of **** work depicting killing poor Iraqi's. THAT confirms that you have no clue or right to speak of a book you've never even picked up.
    Read the synopsis, read the reiviews. I can see how this primal, jingoistic piece of work appeals to a person like yourself.

    I guess the next time I want to read a book vaunted by mouth-breathing, paste-eater, I'll be certain to pick it up.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

    -Gandhi

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    Read the synopsis, read the reiviews. I can see how this primal, jingoistic piece of work appeals to a person like yourself.

    I guess the next time I want to read a book vaunted by mouth-breathing, paste-eater, I'll be certain to pick it up.
    I do find it amusing you're too stubborn to even attempt to read the book, even when others besides "mouth breathers" or "paste eaters" suggest you do so.

    And yes, he was arrested for a couple of bar fights. What good is an autobiography if it glazes over the low spots in one's life? There's a bit of bravado engrained in military Seals; it's part of what makes them elite.

    As for whether or not he thought about killing insurgents, again, I refer you to the book you stubbornly and childishly won't read, because it doesn't fit into your paradigm of what some review says.

    He wasn't perfect, but he didn't claim to be. And he didn't glorify the job he did; he glorified how it felt to be there with his team members, and what it meant to be a Seal and a sniper. Of course, you don't get that because you simply refuse to listen.

    And he has 160 confirmed kills, which is confirmed by the military. He had 255 unconfirmed kills total. Not that you care, because again, you refuse to broaden your views by simply reading a book.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    Read the synopsis, read the reiviews. I can see how this primal, jingoistic piece of work appeals to a person like yourself.

    I guess the next time I want to read a book vaunted by mouth-breathing, paste-eater, I'll be certain to pick it up.

    Well considering i lived a similar life through much of the past decade i don't need to read a book (although i did out of respect for a fellow combat vet) to understand what people like Mr Kyle went through to one degree or another.

    I find it disgusting that you degrade him as a mouth breathing, paste eater simply because he chose to defend a nation and take the lives of people that you seem hell bent on defending before our own Americans, who by the way are only following the *******s who send them into harms way (conservatives and liberals a like Mr Bush and Obama). Hell, i've always maintained that going into Iraq was a mistake and a waste of resources at the expense of nation building to line the pockets of cronies like Dick Cheney, among others. But people like Mr Kyle and myself don't get to make the big calls on where we end up and what missions we are ordered to carry out.

    What real world experience do you have WB? I'm more than certain that you are extremely educated from a scholastic standpoint given your far left leanings and positions over a wide range of topics. But books and pieces of paper only take you so far in life. I'm a college grad myself, but honestly it was my time serving this nation that opened my eyes to the wonders, both good and bad around this world. I've set foot on dozens of nations, interacted with multiple cultures and have seen some of the most brutal conditions you can possibly imagine or maybe even witness on a TV program or the internet. Have you ever walked through villages in north Africa and witnessed what poor really means? Have you ever brought children in from the border regions in the Khost province who were tortured by members of the Taliban, with acid trips on bare skin, eyes torn out of skulls, and have those images ingrained in your memory forever? That just scratches the surface of things i've seen before the age of 30 sir.

    I find it highly unlikely that you have experienced anything even remotely close to that given the ease at which you berate a man like Chris Kyle. You think because he took life he had no moral values or was affected by what he witnessed over the course of a long career. He dedicated his life to helping folks get over their problems from the time he got out of the service in 09. The guy that murdered him was one of the people he was trying to help. He didn't have to, he didn't even know the damn kid. He does an honerable deed and ends up getting shot in the back of the head for it.

    You are very well spoken and written WB. However, you don't know what you're talking about on this one. And you can write me off like you do anyone else you don't agree with. Having seen much of the world, it's easy to understand why most people around the globe hate (i mean that literally) Americans. We are an ignorant society and have no idea how bad things are out there.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

    Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

    Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington
    Posts
    28,601
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    I do find it amusing you're too stubborn to even attempt to read the book, even when others besides "mouth breathers" or "paste eaters" suggest you do so.

    And yes, he was arrested for a couple of bar fights. What good is an autobiography if it glazes over the low spots in one's life? There's a bit of bravado engrained in military Seals; it's part of what makes them elite.

    As for whether or not he thought about killing insurgents, again, I refer you to the book you stubbornly and childishly won't read, because it doesn't fit into your paradigm of what some review says.

    He wasn't perfect, but he didn't claim to be. And he didn't glorify the job he did; he glorified how it felt to be there with his team members, and what it meant to be a Seal and a sniper. Of course, you don't get that because you simply refuse to listen.

    And he has 160 confirmed kills, which is confirmed by the military. He had 255 unconfirmed kills total. Not that you care, because again, you refuse to broaden your views by simply reading a book.
    Agreed. I think there's a lot of positives out of sharing his story. I intend to read it at some point.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    25,298
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    THAT confirms that you have no clue or right to speak of a book you've never even picked up.
    How would you expect anything more from a poster like this.
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    57,315
    Well this has been a useful thread.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Undisclosed Location
    Posts
    8,640
    So, in a hypothetical situation, say Iraq comes invades the USA and overpowers us, kills 600,000 of our people, level our biggest cities, turn it into a military zone. Our military fights back regardless of our country's flaws we are rooting for soldiers, the USA military because they are our sons and daughters, our friends.

    Our military, in this hypothetical, is so inferior to the Iraqis, it is overrun, many are killed, most have to humiliate themselve and surrender to the Iraqi military that was so dominant, the entire United States military suffers a huge humiliation on the world stage.

    After the country has been shattered and turned into a post apocalyptic landscape: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, etc. bombed into the stone age. Car bombs blowing up killing innocent people is an every day way of life.

    But wait, an Iraqi sniper has written a book making the claim that he is the best sniper ever, holding a new record because he killed so many Americans....yet the claim has not been confirmed by his own military....

    I'm thinking the human being group known as American citizens may not be happy with such a great piece of literature chronicling his kills while detailing the pressure that this sniper had to face when he was uncertain if the person was an innocent citizen. This poor sniper then has to deal with PTSD after setting a record of killing your fellow citizens, your sons, your daughters, etc.

    WTF? It's terrible that this Iraqi sniper had to deal with PTSD, yes. But f***ing tacky when 600,000 Americans have been killed and most cities have been leveled.

    Later this Iraqi sniper claims that he kicked a bunch of MMA fighters asses at a UFC event in Tennessee in April '07 (we could change it to Baghdad), when there was no UFC in Tennessee in April '07.

    Sounds like this Iraqi sniper interwove a bunch of fiction. Sounds like he's just jerking himself off.

    And bar fights with arrests? Really? I think I saw that kind of sh!t in Top Gun.

    So regardless if it is an Iraqi sniper claiming to hold the record of killing the most human beings at a far distance or if it is an American sniper making the claim of taking the most lives at a far distance...and then writing a book and interweaving fiction...

    I'm not wasting my time with that book.


    I have worked with several Navy Seals (a couple still on reserve) a few years back. The ones I knew were smart over-achievers, who were gentlemen and friendly.... I find them infinitely more interesting than this guy. But they also happen to be surgeons.

    Again, terrible that he's dead, such a young guy with a family, but the book is a typical dumbass American move. I just see it as being tone deaf.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

    -Gandhi

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Undisclosed Location
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    I find it disgusting that you degrade him as a mouth breathing, paste eater simply because he chose to defend a nation and take the lives of people that you seem hell bent on defending before our own Americans, who by the way are only following the *******s who send them into harms way (conservatives and liberals a like Mr Bush and Obama).

    Number one, I never called Chris Kyle a mouth breathing, paste eater.

    Secondly, I'm not degrading him as a sniper. I am criticizing that he wrote a book celebrating that he's the record holder for killing human beings.

    Thirdly, he didn't defend the USA. Iraq was never a threat to our country, none of the hijackers on 9/11 were even from Iraq. Our soldiers rarely protect our nation, they simply expand markets for corporations....and I don't fault our soldiers. I fault our government.

    Fourthly, I have no problem with him protecting his fellow soldiers, as I said in my initial post. But we shouldn't have been over there in the first place so why rub salt into Iraqi citizens wounds with a book.

    I guess if the shoe were on the other foot, I would be pissed if an Iraqi sniper wrote book about how many U.S. soldiers he killed.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

    -Gandhi

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    So, in a hypothetical situation, say Iraq comes invades the USA and overpowers us, kills 600,000 of our people, level our biggest cities, turn it into a military zone. Our military fights back regardless of our country's flaws we are rooting for soldiers, the USA military because they are our sons and daughters, our friends.

    Our military, in this hypothetical, is so inferior to the Iraqis, it is overrun, many are killed, most have to humiliate themselve and surrender to the Iraqi military that was so dominant, the entire United States military suffers a huge humiliation on the world stage.

    After the country has been shattered and turned into a post apocalyptic landscape: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, etc. bombed into the stone age. Car bombs blowing up killing innocent people is an every day way of life.

    But wait, an Iraqi sniper has written a book making the claim that he is the best sniper ever, holding a new record because he killed so many Americans....yet the claim has not been confirmed by his own military....

    I'm thinking the human being group known as American citizens may not be happy with such a great piece of literature chronicling his kills while detailing the pressure that this sniper had to face when he was uncertain if the person was an innocent citizen. This poor sniper then has to deal with PTSD after setting a record of killing your fellow citizens, your sons, your daughters, etc.

    WTF? It's terrible that this Iraqi sniper had to deal with PTSD, yes. But f***ing tacky when 600,000 Americans have been killed and most cities have been leveled.

    Later this Iraqi sniper claims that he kicked a bunch of MMA fighters asses at a UFC event in Tennessee in April '07 (we could change it to Baghdad), when there was no UFC in Tennessee in April '07.

    Sounds like this Iraqi sniper interwove a bunch of fiction. Sounds like he's just jerking himself off.

    And bar fights with arrests? Really? I think I saw that kind of sh!t in Top Gun.

    So regardless if it is an Iraqi sniper claiming to hold the record of killing the most human beings at a far distance or if it is an American sniper making the claim of taking the most lives at a far distance...and then writing a book and interweaving fiction...

    I'm not wasting my time with that book.


    I have worked with several Navy Seals (a couple still on reserve) a few years back. The ones I knew were smart over-achievers, who were gentlemen and friendly.... I find them infinitely more interesting than this guy. But they also happen to be surgeons.

    Again, terrible that he's dead, such a young guy with a family, but the book is a typical dumbass American move. I just see it as being tone deaf.

    Again, you have no experience with the subject at hand. Zero. Mr Kyle was both a gentlemen and friendly when i met him. Was he an extremely educated man? No. Did he wrestle with demons along his path and get into a little trouble? Absolutely. So he didn't become a surgeon or a NASA engineer. He dedicated his life to helping those in need with very serious mental issues. I can think of many worse paths to choose in life, especially given his background.

    I find it funny that scholars who have never been to war or have any idea the brutality and stress it causes on the human mind and body, would so easily talk about it as if their superior education gives them some sort of insight to the reality of it all.

    Did Americans kill Iraqi civilians? Absolutely. Were the vast majority of those killed, done by accident? Again, absolutely. When you are at war in a nation the size of Iraq, fighting an insurgent population, often in tight urban settings, civilians will die. You do realize WB that pre and post Saddam, Iraqi's killed/murdered far more of their own than Americans could even dream of killing. Americans aren't strapping bombs to their children and telling them to die for Allah because the village down the street are full of Shia Muslims and although they believe in principle the same as a Sunni, they are worthless human beings. Americans aren't gassing their own citizens because they want a little more freedom in life or don't adhere to a certain doctrine of Islam. Religion is supposed to teach tolerance. You find very little of that in Iraq and many other places over in that region, regardless of whether America is present or not.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

    Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

    Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The High Seas
    Posts
    37,774
    That's what your whole gripe is? Him writing a book you haven't even read? I doubt Iraqis have read it, either, unless it's been published in Farsi or whatever dialect they speak over there. Feel better?

    It is fun to watch you flail for excuses to feel High & Mighty being indifferent to an American Serviceman's death, tho. Those with the moral high ground always pick their battles so adroitly.
    Gang Way!

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    -- --- .-.. --- -. | .-.. .- -... .
    Posts
    4,777
    You don't want to read the book, fine. Listen to an interview Andy Dean has with Chris Kyle. Starts @ 19:30

    linky

    Celebrating his kills with a book? Ummm not really.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Undisclosed Location
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    That's what your whole gripe is? Him writing a book you haven't even read? I doubt Iraqis have read it, either, unless it's been published in Farsi or whatever dialect they speak over there. Feel better?
    While boasting that he has the record, while wearing skulls on
    his uni for every kill...

    Pretty tacky.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    It is fun to watch you flail for excuses to feel High & Mighty being indifferent to an American Serviceman's death, tho. Those with the moral high ground always pick their battles so adroitly.
    It's fun to watch me flail for excuses to feel high and mighty being indifferent to an American Serviceman's death?

    Really? Who the f*** are you talking about? Almost every post I have written what a shame it is that he died at such an early age with a family.

    And the construction of the strawman continues....
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

    -Gandhi

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    the Spanish Inquisition
    Posts
    15,728
    Alotta hurt in yer butt WB.

    Writing a book report ranting on a book you've never read has got to be one the top 10 most idiotic quests ever witnessed on this forum.

    You've certainly earned your clown shoes today.

    Congrats!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.