Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    You are a douchebag and that's putting it nicely. I'm sure his wife and 2 children would love reading comments like this....absolutely classless. This man saved countless lives over the course of his service, lives of other men in uniform on our side and most of those folks probably never knew he was there. If you think real Snipers are just a bunch of folks who enjoy killing people, you're an absolute moron. He suffered from and overcame PTSD and dedicated his life after he got out in 2009 to helping fellow vets with similar problems.

BTW, i had met Chris on a couple of ocasions. You won't find a more humble, down to earth, and family oriented person out there. We should be so lucky that a few men like him still populate this nation.

Whatever, i knew reading the boards here on this subject would get my blood boiling. A man was murdered, with his service to this nation and we have Americans who talk like this?
    Well I certainly would hope that his family would know better that to read this board for comfort.

Apparently not the thread for social commentary. I only posted it because the first thing I thought of when I read that "The American Sniper" was shot was "who the **** calls himself The American Sniper?"
    Last edited by Kilmer; 02-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    I am clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post

And..Kilmer...that was a stupid thing to post. The man did four tours in Iraq just so that you could post ignorant **** on KFFL.
    Probably stupid to post. I should probably support his family by buying his book and reading it as penance.
    I am clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilmer View Post
    Probably stupid to post. I should probably support his family by buying his book and reading it as penance.
    No, but you could try to be less of a complete schmuck or a douchebag.

FYI, the killer's mom contacted him to try and help her son; he was doing the killer's mom a favor, and trying to help a fellow vet.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...fellow-veteran
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

Not the most noble professions to be writing a book about though.

And it was an honest question, whether you think it was a dumb thing to say. I don't know the man personally. But I certainly would not want to be known as a Sniper. But I don't play Call of Duty. I don't celebrate kills.

He could have called himself a Marksmen. Again I say, who mourns a Sniper?
    You're a clown. The men he helped provide protection to via his marksmanship. The people he helped extract as a Seal. And what he's called is irrelevant; Marksman is a title that shows your ability at the gun range. Sniper is what you're duty is. Why be so smug about what his duty was in the military?

Wow...Prayers for his family and some of these comments are just disgusting.

Glad to know some people respect service to this country....
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    You're a clown. The men he helped provide protection to via his marksmanship. The people he helped extract as a Seal. And what he's called is irrelevant; Marksman is a title that shows your ability at the gun range. Sniper is what you're duty is. Why be so smug about what his duty was in the military?

Indeed saving the life of his fellow soldiers noble and admirable.

And the tactic of sniping is a necessary evil, but to write a book celebrating the kills is classless and disgusting in my estimation. I never would wish this man dead, but his book, I'm certain, is a slap in the face to many Iraqis who were simply fighting to protect their families, their friends, their country, their neighborhoods.

We like to demonize "Iraqi Insurgents," but in reality, we shouldn't have been over there tearing up there country in the first place, murdering their citizens, and, btw, another name for an "Iraqi Insurgent" is a "native Iraqi citizen."

So we manhandle them, kill them, mame them, f*** up their cities, and this guy writes a book about how he's killed their native sons.....I can't get behind that.

RIP, Chris Kyle. I sincerely mean that. But your book is disgusting.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

I fail to see how you can question the book when you likely haven't read it. And "celebrating" is an opinion, again, based likely on not having read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    I fail to see how you can question the book when you likely haven't read it.

You're right, I haven't read the book, just read the reviews.

Ostensibly it chronicles the kills he made as a sniper in a country the U.S. shouldn't have been in in the first place....unless there is another nuance that the reviews have missed, I don't need to read a book called, "American Sniper."

-Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    You're right, I haven't read the book, just read the reviews.

Ostensibly it chronicles the kills he made as a sniper in a country the U.S. shouldn't have been in in the first place....unless there is another nuance that the reviews have missed, I don't need to read a book called, "American Sniper."
    1. You missed the biographical part of his growing up in Texas, his childhood, his days in the Rodeo, and overcoming a back injury to join the SEALS.

2. You missed how he deliniates between the branches of the military, their roles, and what his role was in supporting and carrying out the missions.

3. You missed how seriously he took his role, how he had to make split second decisions on the makeup of an individual; how a number of insurgents were gang members, druggies who snorted their courage, or the more dangerous AQ elements.

4. You missed how he worried every time he pulled the trigger if he had killed an innocent man, and that he could be charged with murder if he was ever wrong.

5. You missed how most of his kills were between 200-400 yards out; hardly the typical sniper crap we see on tv, and how most of his kills were in support of a mission.

6. You missed how every time he went out, he had a bounty on his head, and how it effected his wife and family back home knowing that.

7. You missed how he questioned the role of the action, but didn't question his role in supporting the mission and those out there with him.

8. You missed how PTSD almost cost him his marriage, how it effected his relationships, what he did to deal with it, and how supportive his family was in overcoming it, and how he's worked with a number of others in trying to move past it.

So yeah, I'd say you missed a sh!t ton of nuance.

Yeah, did I miss how he talks about all of the bar fights he got into as a SEAL and was arrested on several occasions?

Did I miss how he claimed that he kicked a bunch of UFC fighters' asses after a UFC event in April '07 in Tennessee when there was no UFC event in April '07 in Tennessee?

And if he was worrying whether he was killing innocent people or not, perhaps he and his compatriots should have been a little more certain before putting a bullet through some unsuspecting Iraqi's head from 400 yards out (which I really could give a sh!t about the distance).

Again, I do believe that sniping and snipers are a necessary evil, but writing a book about a bunch of unconfirmed kills (according to the Pentagon) is classless.

-Gandhi

I regret posting what I did. Because I certainly did not intend to dishonor an American War Hero. I was uncomfortable with what the title of his book celebrated and the skulls he wore on his clothing and was quick to judge.
    I am clay.

I regret posting what I did. Because I certainly did not intend to dishonor an American War Hero. I was uncomfortable with what the title of his book celebrated and the skulls he wore on his clothing and was quick to judge.
    That's all cool....

Sorry for blasting you...I mean I say stupid **** all the time here as well...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

People did seem a wee bit quick to play the 'douchebag' card on you today...
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    Indeed saving the life of his fellow soldiers noble and admirable.

And the tactic of sniping is a necessary evil, but to write a book celebrating the kills is classless and disgusting in my estimation. I never would wish this man dead, but his book, I'm certain, is a slap in the face to many Iraqis who were simply fighting to protect their families, their friends, their country, their neighborhoods.

We like to demonize "Iraqi Insurgents," but in reality, we shouldn't have been over there tearing up there country in the first place, murdering their citizens, and, btw, another name for an "Iraqi Insurgent" is a "native Iraqi citizen."

So we manhandle them, kill them, mame them, f*** up their cities, and this guy writes a book about how he's killed their native sons.....I can't get behind that.

RIP, Chris Kyle. I sincerely mean that. But your book is disgusting.
    I've read it and you are disgusting for having no clue what you're talking about. Go pick up a copy and come back after you've read it. He never "celebrated" killing anyone. It was a real life transcipt of the events that unfolded during his tours, among other things. And if you read the book you might skip some of the over generalized talking points.

This guy was trying to HELP this kid that ended up murdering him at the request of the murderers own mother. He dedicated his life to protection his fellow veterans not only during war time but after it. Why don't you read his bio and see the foundations he helped create to battle PTSD.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    I've read it and you are disgusting for having no clue what you're talking about. Go pick up a copy and come back after you've read it. He never "celebrated" killing anyone. It was a real life transcipt of the events that unfolded during his tours, among other things. And if you read the book you might skip some of the over generalized talking points.

This guy was trying to HELP this kid that ended up murdering him at the request of the murderers own mother. He dedicated his life to protection his fellow veterans not only during war time but after it. Why don't you read his bio and see the foundations he helped create to battle PTSD.
    No thanks. The fact that you think it's a great piece of work only confirms my belief about the book.

-Gandhi

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast