Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Marine kills 2 @ Texas gun range

A former Navy SEAL who wrote "American Sniper," a best-selling book about his lethal career as a marksman in Iraq, was shot to death with another man at a gun range near Stephenville, Texas, on Saturday.
    Chris Kyle, 38, and the other man were found dead at the shooting range of Rough Creek Lodge on Saturday afternoon, Texas Highway Patrol spokesman Lonny Haschel told KXAS.

The gunman, identified as Eddie Ray Routh of Lancaster, Texas, was arrested after a brief pursuit, Trooper Haschel said. The other victim was named as Chad Littlefield, aged 35.

Capt. Jason Upshaw of the Erath County Sheriff's Office said Routh used a semi-automatic handgun, which authorities later found at his home, the Associated Press reported.

Routh is in the Marine Corps Individual Ready Reserve, a U.S. military official confirmed. As such, he is not active or drilling with a unit.

Routh's service record shows that he was an armorer with the rank of corporal and served from June 2006 to January 2010. He was deployed three times -- to Iraq, various locations in Europe and the Middle East, and to Haiti.

Kyle, a Texas native who grew up hunting, served four tours in Iraq with Navy SEAL Team 3. His shooting during battles in Ramadi and Fallujah became legendary, and insurgents nicknamed him the "Devil of Ramadi" and put a bounty on his head.

He was credited with 160 confirmed kills, including one in 2008 in which he said he fired from 2,100 yards away -- 1.2 miles.
    The Star-Telegram described him as "America's deadliest sniper."
    Weird; very weird.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...lite&GT1-43001
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Yeah, it's sad. I don't really get the idea of going to the range to rehab a shellshocked vet -- unless you're using blanks.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    Yeah, it's sad. I don't really get the idea of going to the range to rehab a shellshocked vet -- unless you're using blanks.
    It's weird with all those guns at the gun range, you would have thought that someone would have been able to stop it from happening.

Surprise, surprise, another NRA talking point seems to be full of sh!t.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

Chit happens. Shame.
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    It's weird with all those guns at the gun range, you would have thought that someone would have been able to stop it from happening.

Surprise, surprise, another NRA talking point seems to be full of sh!t.
    One of the reasons I don't like guns (there are many like theft and accident, etc...) is that I can never get comfortable around them. It's not that I freak out at the sight of one, like on a Cop or anything, I just prefer not to be around them because... they have a 'habit' of going off and causing serious problems - for whatever reason: accident, looney, robbery, whatever.

I wonder if some people, like these guys, get so comfortable around guns - by using them all the time, they lose the 'fear factor' of being around others with them. I don't even know if that's a stupid thing to say because I've never been a gun enthusiast to have been around them/people with them enough to know.
    Gang Way!

Who mourns a Sniper?
    I am clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilmer View Post
    Who mourns a Sniper?
    The people who would have been killed by his targets/victims had he not sent them to Allah, and the nation who sent him to war, whether it was a just war or not. What a dumb thing to say.
    Gang Way!

Not the most noble professions to be writing a book about though.

And it was an honest question, whether you think it was a dumb thing to say. I don't know the man personally. But I certainly would not want to be known as a Sniper. But I don't play Call of Duty. I don't celebrate kills.

He could have called himself a Marksmen. Again I say, who mourns a Sniper?
    I am clay.

And it was an honest question, whether you think it was a dumb thing to say. I don't know the man personally. But I certainly would not want to be known as a Sniper. But I don't play Call of Duty. I don't celebrate kills.

You are a douchebag and that's putting it nicely. I'm sure his wife and 2 children would love reading comments like this....absolutely classless. This man saved countless lives over the course of his service, lives of other men in uniform on our side and most of those folks probably never knew he was there. If you think real Snipers are just a bunch of folks who enjoy killing people, you're an absolute moron. He suffered from and overcame PTSD and dedicated his life after he got out in 2009 to helping fellow vets with similar problems.

BTW, i had met Chris on a couple of ocasions. You won't find a more humble, down to earth, and family oriented person out there. We should be so lucky that a few men like him still populate this nation.

Whatever, i knew reading the boards here on this subject would get my blood boiling. A man was murdered, with his service to this nation and we have Americans who talk like this?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

His family and the soldiers he helped to protect, I suspect.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

What's wrong with a sniper?

Sniper at the SuperBowl...

His family, and fellow servicemen, for one.

Hopefully the country he protects as well.

That's horrible. I feel for his family.

The eyes of these guys in the police pictures always look so creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    One of the reasons I don't like guns (there are many like theft and accident, etc...) is that I can never get comfortable around them. It's not that I freak out at the sight of one, like on a Cop or anything, I just prefer not to be around them because... they have a 'habit' of going off and causing serious problems - for whatever reason: accident, looney, robbery, whatever.
    One time I was hanging out with a friend and he took his father's old revolver out...and was sort of handling it and swinging it around a bit..not pointing at me or anything, but I asked him to put it away. I am also uncomfortable with gun that isn't holstered...the same way I am uncomfortable with people who stand too damn close to the yellow line on the subway platform or on a ledge of a tall building...

=================

And..Kilmer...that was a stupid thing to post. The man did four tours in Iraq just so that you could post ignorant **** on KFFL.
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by byron2112 View Post
    What's wrong with a sniper?

Sniper at the SuperBowl...
    Thanks for sharing...great seat in the house...I wonder if he neglected his duties on the final NYG drive and saw the Manningham catch directly below....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast