Candidates to "step up"...

1. LB Danny Trevathan - 6'1 232 - Sometimes, fans are smarter than the coaches. Many of us wondered quietly and out loud for YEARS if Wesley Woodyard would be at least an equal to DJ Williams. Turns out, we were right. I get that same feeling about Danny Trevathan. I really hope that he can gain a lew lbs and slide into the MLB spot. With his coverage abilities, he is perfect next to Miller and Woodyard.

2. OG/C Phillip Blake - At 6'3 320lbs, Blake has the size to mash people on the inside. With Walton and Kuper coming off an injuries, Blake couple procide some intriguing depth on the interior. I think the coaches hope that he will make a strong push for the starting job...cause you don't draft 26 year old players with the intention of them being a longterm backup IMO.

3. S Quentin Carter - Solid guy all around...good hitter, good tackler...he'd be a nice addition to the Moore/Adams combo. In today's NFL, you can never have to many quality DBs...and Carter showed he could fit that role.

4. LB Nate Irving - He got some praise in the DPO last week and I really hope they are right. Adding another quality LB would do wonders for the team.

5. DL Malik Jackson - He's another guy who I hope can work and add some weight because he has really impressive athleticism for a guy his size...but he is stuck in that tweener role. If he could get into the 300lb range...I could see him being an impact rotation guy.

6. HB Ronnie Hillman - Let's hope the last game was a sign of things to come. At 21 years old, he should have just finished his JR year..can he be a feature back?

Which of these does the FO believe will take the next step? I guess we will get a clue through FA and the draft.

To me the least likely candidate of these is Blake. He wasn't impressive at all in preseason. So that prob makes him the one to succeed!

If Carter can stay healthy to me he will be a stabilizer that we need. If I were going to guess which one of these is most likely to succeed, I'd take Jackson.

Good list BHam ... I like Trevathan a lot - he and Jackson will probably have the best opportunities .... Hillman too, but I think Hillman's role will be smaller - but that doesn't mean he can't be important ...

I'm trying to figure out what happened to Blake. It's like his testosterone fell off a cliff.
    "When you allow unlawful acts to go unpunished, you're moving toward a government of men rather than a government of laws." John Wayne

I haven't given up on Blake - he just needed to work on some parts of his game. I expect good things from him this year.

To step up: Mitch Unrein and Ben Garland are candidates - IMO

I think BHam really hit all of them.

I would throw Omar Bolden out there.
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

Hillman really needs to take the next step
    His pass pro was aweful and caused Manning a lot of anxious moments
    Fix that and he should have a great year

Blake I just don't know about. Like Geo said he was not very good in TC and never really flashed anything

I think Denver fills the MLBer position from someone not currently on the roster.

I'd like to see Virgil take the next step or maybe even Julius

Moore.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

Hillman will never be good on pass support. We knew that when we drafted him. Hopefully he proves himself as a runner.
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

Good comments by Chris on Virgil Green and or Julius Thomas.

On Hillman - Never DC? Never is a long time for a guy who entered the league at 20 years old.

I should rephrase that. We knew when we drafted him he wasn't a good blocking RB. I find it hard that we ever expect him to be with his size.

I think he can go from a bad pass protector to an average at best. Hillman taking on blitzing LB's and big DE's just doesn't seem to be realistic and I think we all knew as well as Denver when they drafted him that blocking would be an issue.
    I have very little fait that Hillman will ever be a good blocker, but I have a lot of faith that he will be a weapon on our offense.

For me the guy that needs to take that next step is Derek Wolfe. He had a very good rookie season for a DT but has he reached his ceiling or can he improve over last year. Improvement makes the team better. Reaching to ceiling he's just another guy in the rotation

In regards to Hilman, every RB needs to be able to pass pro in the NFL. To say he can't block is to say he will not play.

Quote Originally Posted by CEH View Post
    I'd like to see Virgil take the next step or maybe even Julius
    I think Virgil Green has the makings of a great TE ... when he had the ball, he looked like a man among boys out there - which is impressive considering the limited amount of time he's had on the field ........ He's fluid, moves great and at 6 3", he's big enough ......

I like Tamme, and love Green's potential ..... Dreessen doesn't impress me

Quote Originally Posted by lucas707 View Post
    I think Virgil Green has the makings of a great TE ... when he had the ball, he looked like a man among boys out there - which is impressive considering the limited amount of time he's had on the field ........ He's fluid, moves great and at 6 3", he's big enough ......

I like Tamme, and love Green's potential ..... Dreessen doesn't impress me
    That is who I thought of immediately. Virgil wasn't in the mix the first part of the season and I kept expecting to see him come on the 2nd half, but he just never got any targets despite the extra playing time. I just think he has the ability to be a productive player for us.

Maybe somebody like Jeremy Beal could come on as well.
    1st and 10 at DEN 20 (Shotgun) T.Tebow pass deep middle to D.Thomas for 80 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by CEH View Post
    For me the guy that needs to take that next step is Derek Wolfe. He had a very good rookie season for a DT but has he reached his ceiling or can he improve over last year. Improvement makes the team better. Reaching to ceiling he's just another guy in the rotation

In regards to Hilman, every RB needs to be able to pass pro in the NFL. To say he can't block is to say he will not play.
    I see Wolfe like I see Orlando Franklin. He has only scratched the surface of his potential. Plus, we need a stud next to him.

That being said I've noticed over many years of studying drafts that when a scout or GM or coordinater has a knack for finding certain positions they usually do it over and over. I like our chances with JDR.
    "When you allow unlawful acts to go unpunished, you're moving toward a government of men rather than a government of laws." John Wayne