AP named MVP AND OPOY

Ridiculous that he won BOTH.

Ridiculous bad or ridiculous good?

I think it's a good thing. He deserves it. I think he should have won it over Peyton Manning. As great as Peyton was for the Broncos, he didn't deliver what he was brought to Denver to do.

Few expected the Vikings to be in the playoffs, and AP carried that team. He should have won Comeback Player of the Year and made it a sweep.
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

I've never understood the idea of different people winning MVP and O/DPOY. If you're MVP that should make you POY. Just HMO.
    "I just want to be a really filthy old man and get paid for it." -George Carlin

It was sort of like the AP show last night. Though the MVP is debatable, it is hard to say he was not deserving IMO.

Could've been the trifecta with CBPOY, too.

Very well deserved. Especially considering just a year ago, us Vikings fans were wondering if he would have ever come back the same and he ends up being better.
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

I definitely don't think he deserved either, but if you are getting one you should probably get both.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Scooter View Post
    I've never understood the idea of different people winning MVP and O/DPOY. If you're MVP that should make you POY. Just HMO.
    Eh, you can have a guy like Jeff George who puts up great offensive numbers but perhaps doesn't do much for the bottom line in wins and losses, and another player who has more modest numbers, but comes up big in clutch moments. The exception, sure, but not unheard of.
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

I don't think you should be OPOY(i.e. best offensive player in a given year) if you are simply a compiler who doesn't help your team.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I don't think you should be OPOY(i.e. best offensive player in a given year) if you are simply a compiler who doesn't help your team.
    It doesn't need to be a compiler, per se. That was just an example. A better one might have been the 2009 season. Chris Johnson runs for 2K yards and 14 TDs. Pretty impressive performance. His team still finished 8-8. Peyton Manning throws for 4500 yards and and 33 TDs that year. A pretty good season, but not nearly the level of a 2000+ rushing yards. His team finishes 14-2.

Now imagine we replace both players with average/above average players at their positions. Which squad sees the larger drop off in wins and overall success?
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I don't think by definition that is accurate. If Drew Brees breaks the passing yardage record on a playoff team, but Rodgers puts up great numbers on a 15-1 team. I don't think anyone would call Brees a compiler. You could argue that Rodgers deserved OPOY as well, but Brees broke a record that had stood for the better part of 3 decades and Peterson came 9 yards shy of breaking an equally long standing record.
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

glad he got MVP.

every year we have these threads, and every year it seems the words "most valuable player" (to their teams' success) must fall on deaf ears.
    without peterson, the vikes dont' come close to the playoffs.
    without Manning, broncos went to the playoffs the year before with one of the worst QBs in the NFL and a Defense that won them games.
    without Brady, the Patriots went 11-5 that season (2008), and most would say they have a better backup QB now, plus better players on both sides of the ball.

by far, petersons TEAM would've fared far worse than Brady/Mannings' teams would have. that's my view of MVP, not "most popular player on a team that had a good record".

Hard to argue (as IHT said) AP's value to the Vikings. He was literally a one man band. Manning's MVP hoopla was mostly driven I think by his return, and the improvement to the offense of the Broncos. Then again, he's always a top performer, and to look at how Indy did without him that last year shows how important players like AP, Brady, Manning really are.

Award wins or not, I'm just glad we've got him.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by IHT View Post
    glad he got MVP.

every year we have these threads, and every year it seems the words "most valuable player" (to their teams' success) must fall on deaf ears.
    without peterson, the vikes dont' come close to the playoffs.
    without Manning, broncos went to the playoffs the year before with one of the worst QBs in the NFL and a Defense that won them games.
    without Brady, the Patriots went 11-5 that season (2008), and most would say they have a better backup QB now, plus better players on both sides of the ball.

by far, petersons TEAM would've fared far worse than Brady/Mannings' teams would have. that's my view of MVP, not "most popular player on a team that had a good record".
    Or "Best QB on the team with a great record".

I'm not saying it would be a travesty if Manning or Brady won, but to define MVP is what Peterson did. We win 4 games, maybe 5 without him.