Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 113
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    QBs tend to move up beyond their value. I'm not going to get into the individual merits too much, but I like Glennon particularly quite a bit. Reminds me of Flacco a bit(coming out, not now). He's got tremendous arm talent. I'm souring a bit on Wilson I have to say, but I'm curious to hear what comes out of workouts and the like.

    As for Barkley, he is in a tough spot. He's not a great fit for the teams that need QBs like Buffalo or Arizona. I'm not drafting a weak armed guy top 10 to play in that Buffalo weather and Arizona just hired Arians who runs a deep passing offense.
    Glennon has a strong arm but so what? You dont need a gun to have a deep passing game. Rivers lead the league two years in a row with YPA and he doesnt have a gun. Glennon is in the Gabbert catagory for me. Got some talent that a team will reach for but wont be that great a NFL QB and as we have seen so far, Gabbert stinks. Glennon threw 17 INT's and completed less than 60% of his passes and is a virtual statue out there but i will say he should be better than Gabbert. Thats not saying a whole lot though.

    If these guys were in last years draft they would be 3rd or 4th round picks. Again i agree teams will reach since this is a weak QB class but if i need a QB, im calling New England and try and trade for Mallet who has two seasons learning under Brady and his contract will expire before he gets a shot there, and his contract is cheap right now too.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,159
    I think Glennon's a better prospect than Mallett. I think he's better than you give him credit for. He had a pretty awful supporting class. He definitely doesn't move well, but he can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball where it needs to go. Rivers has a pretty strong arm fwiw. I'm not saying you have to have a rocket arm to be successful, far from it. Just that Barkley doesn't fit certain schemes/situations.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    I watch Rivers every week. His arm is above average but it isnt what i would call strong. Dont agree about Glennon over Mallet at all. Not to mention Mallet has two years tutoring under Brady who is an attention to detail guy. He would be way more ready than Glennon would and he would be a lot cheaper.
    Im not real big on Barkley either but the guy did play in a pro set offense. Reid is going use a WCO and i dont think that is a difficult one for QB's coming from a pro set. You never know what a guy can do til he plays in it.

    One QB who is really flying under the radar in this draft who i believe in time will be a good NFL QB is Landry Jones. I know you wont agree but i think he is going to be better than Tyler Wilson and i dont think he can only play in a spread offense. Jones has put up some good numbers his whole college career. Needs some work but they all do. Just think down the road he is going to be one that coaches smack themselves in the head and wonder why they didnt pick him. To see Nassib rated ahead of him imo is funny.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,159
    Above average is fine. Not sure what your point is though. I never said you have to have a strong arm to be a good QB or anything similar. That doesnt' mean its not a weapon if you have one, in addition to the other necessary QB skills.


    and yah, Hoyer and Cassel were going to be great too. Not to mention Rohan Davey. I like Mallett, but he fell for a reason. Just because he backs up Brady doesn't mean he works like him, or is him.

    I'm curious about JOnes too. He could surprise, though he could also be the one who is the Gabbert of this draft. He seems to **** his pants at just the wrong time.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    Cassell? Who ever said Cassell was going to be a great NFL QB? Hoyer an Davey? C-mon , that wasnt my point. Those guys dont have Mallets talent and he fell because of his attitude and rumors about being a pothead. He is a better QB than Glennon.

    And im just saying he is learning from one of the best who is very detailed not just because he plays at New England. Those other guys including Cassell are scrubs. IDK, thats just what i would do instead of picking Glennon or Wilson in the top 10 but it happens all the time and GM's will continue to get burned doing it.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-07-2013 at 07:43 AM.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    581
    Nice work.

    Steelers. Love Ansah at 17.

    Not a fan of Stefan Taylor in the 2nd at all. We already have two physical RB's without exceptional speed. I feel that if/when they go RB in this draft it will be for another Chris Rainey type later (minus the domestic violance).

    If they go offense I think they take the top WR on their board. Only have two WR's under contract next year (Brown, Cotchery). Justin Hunter would be a great fit, they need a tall physical WR.

    That being said if the draft fell like this I'd want the top safety. McDonald or Rambo. Polamalu ain't no spring chicken.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
    Cassell? Who ever said Cassell was going to be a great NFL QB? Hoyer an Davey? C-mon , that wasnt my point. Those guys dont have Mallets talent and he fell because of his attitude and rumors about being a pothead. He is a better QB than Glennon.

    And im just saying he is learning from one of the best who is very detailed not just because he plays at New England. Those other guys including Cassell are scrubs. IDK, thats just what i would do instead of picking Glennon or Wilson in the top 10 but it happens all the time and GM's will continue to get burned doing it.
    My point is, you can't just say, he plays for the Pats, he's going to become good. He fell for a reason. I doubt his attitude went away over night.

    and plenty of people thought Cassel was the next big thing. He did practically go for a 1st round pick and was franchised.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom298 View Post
    Nice work.

    Steelers. Love Ansah at 17.

    Not a fan of Stefan Taylor in the 2nd at all. We already have two physical RB's without exceptional speed. I feel that if/when they go RB in this draft it will be for another Chris Rainey type later (minus the domestic violance).

    If they go offense I think they take the top WR on their board. Only have two WR's under contract next year (Brown, Cotchery). Justin Hunter would be a great fit, they need a tall physical WR.

    That being said if the draft fell like this I'd want the top safety. McDonald or Rambo. Polamalu ain't no spring chicken.
    I dont' think either DWyer or Redman is someone you can count on to start. Isn't one of them a FA too?
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I dont' think either DWyer or Redman is someone you can count on to start. Isn't one of them a FA too?
    Both RFAs. Both will most likely be retained. I don't disagree that Dwyer may not turn out to be a starter.

    But using a 2nd rounder on essentially the same player, maybe a slight upgrade, while trotting out Jericho cotchery and Antonio brown as the starting WRs every week seems like a less desirable situation.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    57,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I dont' think either DWyer or Redman is someone you can count on to start. Isn't one of them a FA too?
    I'd pick one and run with it.

    Pesonally I'd go with Dwyer and a reasonable scat back.

    but a late round power back up wouldnt hurt either.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom298 View Post
    Both RFAs. Both will most likely be retained. I don't disagree that Dwyer may not turn out to be a starter.

    But using a 2nd rounder on essentially the same player, maybe a slight upgrade, while trotting out Jericho cotchery and Antonio brown as the starting WRs every week seems like a less desirable situation.
    If a WR is an equal value, I'm fine with them going that direction. I just think Taylor is highly underrated and a great fit for what the Steelers do, both with his physical running and his abilities in the pass game.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    My point is, you can't just say, he plays for the Pats, he's going to become good.
    I never said just because he plays there he is going to be good. However, most QB's that sit a while with good coaching and a good teacher become good. Not like he doesnt have talent already and more than Glennon imo.

    He fell for a reason. I doubt his attitude went away over night.
    Yep and i told you why. Maybe you dont recall those things. He also didnt have the best attitude. You havent heard a thing about him since he was drafted such as partying and such.

    and plenty of people thought Cassel was the next big thing. He did practically go for a 1st round pick and was franchised.

    Cassell was traded along with Vrabel for that 2nd round pick and the guys got fired who did that didnt they!

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4,656
    The Saints are switching to the 34 which actually better suits their personnel. There has been a lot of talk about the need for more help up front but they have Bunkley and Hicks to compete as the starting NT. Bushrod will probably get priced out of the New Orleans and there is no one behind him. The Saints need an OT more than defense.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,187
    I think the Saints could get by with Drew Brees' release and that system. Frankly, if those guys are competing to be your starting NT, expected yet another year of the Saints getting run over like a mouse on a train track.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    782
    If I'm running the Titans and if it's a guard that I'm looking for in the 1st round, I'd rather trade down, acquire more picks and select Jonathan Cooper who would probably be the best fit in the ZBS.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.