Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Good grief. As if times havent changed
    Sure they've changed. But the REASONS people come - haven't. <shrug>
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

My dad was born in this country and was told to leave by to Old polish immigarnt couple on a trolley in Chicago because he was a jew. The store fronts had sighns No DOgs followed by No Jews. Spare me the ethnic handwringing

We have come a long way since Rockridge

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Yup. Back then the nativists were much more open about their hostility towards immigrants.
    Your enlightment comes from your pockets. I bet theiers did too
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Are you calling me out as bigoted CHF ? Cause I'm nothing like that guy.
    As smart as the internet

Are you calling me out as bigoted CHF ? Cause I'm nothing like that guy.
    Of course I'm not. I'm just pointing out that signs still exist. Now we HAVE progressed in that we don't see them in store windows, but the overall mindset still exists. We've just changed which groups we don't want let in.

--

Of course I'm not. I'm just pointing out that signs still exist. Now we HAVE progressed in that we don't see them in store windows, but the overall mindset still exists. We've just changed which groups we don't want let in.
    Some poeple want them all thrown out. I don't agree. I also don't agree that we should just make it so anyone can come and stay.
    As smart as the internet

Your enlightment comes from your pockets. I bet theiers did too
    Well certainly not living hand to mouth has enabled me to read up on such subjects and not respond viscerally to the subject.
    Last edited by flyerhawk; 02-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Some poeple want them all thrown out. I don't agree. I also don't agree that we should just make it so anyone can come and stay.
    Perfectly reasonable. Again, I see some solution as needing to come from

a. making legal process easier
    b. prosecuting those who hire illegals.

That would actually solve something and wouldn't be just an insanely expensive bandaid like building walls and minefields.

I don't think open borders is a real solution either.

--

Perfectly reasonable. Again, I see some solution as needing to come from

a. making legal process easier
    b. prosecuting those who hire illegals.

That would actually solve something and wouldn't be just an insanely expensive bandaid like building walls and minefields.

I don't think open borders is a real solution either.
    Then we agree on all points....

The only thing I would add is I would also like to tighten border security.
    Ignorance is those who disparage believers....12 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.
    13 Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Well certainly not living hand to mouth has enabled me to read up on such subjects and not respond viscerally to the subject.
    Thankfully you can 'read about it" Millions are living it. Nose bleeds much ?
    As smart as the internet

Thankfully you can 'read about it" Millions are living it. Nose bleeds much ?
    Not in the least.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Not suprised in the least.
    As smart as the internet

Not suprised in the least.
    Your smugness is noted.

Is that cake ?
    As smart as the internet

Sort of. It tastes great at first but then you realize how empty it really is.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223