Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 345
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    57,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    Probably more support today than there was in 2007, when the 110th Congress wasn't all that interested in passing comprehensive immigration reform.
    Well the labor groups on the left and the xenophobes on the right viewed any sort of amnesty as completely unacceptable at the time. However political realities have come crashing down and neither is willing to let their extremes run the show on this subject anymore.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    14,452
    I heard the initial proposals and I like it.

    We're going to enforce the border even more, and illegals go to the back of the line. That is the only real , fair and sensible way to accomplish thiscomplex problem.
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

    "Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    58,391
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenKelly View Post
    I heard the initial proposals and I like it.

    We're going to enforce the border even more, and illegals go to the back of the line. That is the only real , fair and sensible way to accomplish thiscomplex problem.
    Agreed. The goal should be to able to recruit and retain elite foreign talent into American businesses and institutions.

    However getting rid of as many illegals and preventing as many illegals from getting in period is another ideal.

    Now if only there was a way to prevent the false citizens problem.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    14,452
    Ray, you really crack me up with all your posts about the Tea Party. Like you have them figured out. :)

    Rubio was elected soley because of the Tea Party You don't see any rallys against him or this legislation, do you?
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

    "Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    45,452
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Agreed. The goal should be to able to recruit and retain elite foreign talent into American businesses and institutions.

    However getting rid of as many illegals and preventing as many illegals from getting in period is another ideal.

    Now if only there was a way to prevent the false citizens problem.
    Sure, but as long as those same American businesses want lower cost labour...
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

    --

    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    14,452
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Agreed. The goal should be to able to recruit and retain elite foreign talent into American businesses and institutions.

    However getting rid of as many illegals and preventing as many illegals from getting in period is another ideal.

    Now if only there was a way to prevent the false citizens problem.
    As to your first answer Q, I would say immediate entry with with full citizenship.

    There is no Constitutional way, so accept the best of the worst ideas buddy.
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

    "Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    14,452
    Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Sure, but as long as those same American businesses want lower cost labour...


    CHF, isn't that the way capitalism is suppose to work. Less skilled, less pay. I know your not making the same money as an investment banker simply because you're talking to me in an internet forum. ;)
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

    "Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,793
    Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    Lucky for the Democrats that Rubio is a moron in other ways.
    I'm curious as to why he's a moron in other ways? Is it because he's a conservative minority candidate with serious ability to make a run in 2016 for the top spot in this country? I'm sure the game plan will be to create a bunch of fake scandals to discredit him among the Latino and moderate crowds come crunch time.

    He hasn't been around long enough to pile on with ridiculous comments like yours. His situation is very similar to the current President who was a young Senator a few years prior to running for President. He'll be at or very near the top of the list for the GOP in 3 years and for good reason. He can absolutely excite the base moderate and far right, and will also help appeal to the minority crowd, even if only by a slight margin.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

    Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

    Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    45,452
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenKelly View Post
    CHF, isn't that the way capitalism is suppose to work. Less skilled, less pay. I know your not making the same money as an investment banker simply because you're talking to me in an internet forum. ;)
    Sure, but then if we're going to allow that to be true, then we have to just live with illegal immigration. Because those are the lowest cost labourers.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

    --

    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Surfing on a ripple of evil.
    Posts
    18,585
    H1-B visas. Same or greater skill. Less pay
    As smart as the internet

    We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Surfing on a ripple of evil.
    Posts
    18,585
    How can someone be at the back of the line when they already have a seat at the table ?
    As smart as the internet

    We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington
    Posts
    28,322
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    I'm curious as to why he's a moron in other ways?
    Rhetorical?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Promised Land
    Posts
    37,464
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenKelly View Post
    Ray, you really crack me up with all your posts about the Tea Party. Like you have them figured out. :)

    Rubio was elected soley because of the Tea Party You don't see any rallys against him or this legislation, do you?
    Call them what you want. They are the ones that won't compromise, social conservatives, whatever. Rubio has definitely got one foot on either side of the divide now, but I doubt you'll see the hard core members cross over on this one, much as they haven't on anything else. David Brooks had a column about the Republican party split right now in today's paper (or google news anyway).

    Let's just call them the ultra right wing of the Republican party, unless you still want to fantasize about Democratic tea party legislators.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    14,452
    Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Call them what you want. They are the ones that won't compromise, social conservatives, whatever. Rubio has definitely got one foot on either side of the divide now, but I doubt you'll see the hard core members cross over on this one, much as they haven't on anything else. David Brooks had a column about the Republican party split right now in today's paper (or google news anyway).

    Let's just call them the ultra right wing of the Republican party, unless you still want to fantasize about Democratic tea party legislators.

    Yes, we are the far right, but we haven't gone away. As much as you propose it. lol
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

    "Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    14,452
    Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Call them what you want. They are the ones that won't compromise, social conservatives, whatever. Rubio has definitely got one foot on either side of the divide now, but I doubt you'll see the hard core members cross over on this one, much as they haven't on anything else. David Brooks had a column about the Republican party split right now in today's paper (or google news anyway).

    Let's just call them the ultra right wing of the Republican party, unless you still want to fantasize about Democratic tea party legislators.

    POLITICO – In an interview with POLITICO, Paul said he’ll return to Congress this week pushing measures long avoided by his party. He wants to work with liberal Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy and Republicans to eliminate mandatory minimum sentences for pot possession. He wants to carve a compromise immigration plan with an “eventual path” to citizenship for illegal immigrants, a proposal he believes could be palatable to conservatives. And he believes his ideas — along with pushing for less U.S. military intervention in conflicts overseas — could help the GOP broaden its tent and appeal to crucial voting blocs that handed Democrats big wins in the West Coast, the Northeast and along the Great Lakes.

    Rand Pauls thougths on an Immigration Bill. And just look at his remarks on grass posession. The Horror!!!
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

    "Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.