Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason news

Won't hold my breath on that, unless that guy is also a special teams wizard.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

Kap bandwagon.....ALL ABOARD !!!!

Patriots offense
    1. Continue to get better at running the ball. 2012 was improved from 2011. Gronk and Ballard are bigger TE's so getting either or both back healthy will help.
    2. More passing out of power run sets as opposed to spread formations might provide more obvious matchups to exploit.
    3. Varying tempo as opposed to all hurry-up all the time might improve the defense. A long sustained drive every now and again where they aren't in a hurry to snap the ball with 25 seconds left. Not saying we have to run all the time to control tempo as you can throw screens, or play action and still take your time changing personnel. Just fart around in the huddle more and snap the ball with 7 or 8 seconds left.

Key free agents: Welker, Vollmer, Thomas, Woodhead, Edelman
    Key returning players (injuries): Gronkowski, Ballard, Demps

Welker: he'll be 32 next year. Would he sign a 3 year deal? Would 8-10 million per year spent on Wes be better spend on some combination of Aqib Talib, Jairus Byrd, Ed Reed, or Dashon Goldson?
    Vollmer: he was older when drafted out of Houston and will be 29 next year. Misses time every year due to back issues, but is a very good right tackle when healthy. How much do you pay for that?

Donald Thomas, Danny Woodhead, and Julian Edelman would all be great depth signings if we can get them.

Draft: Pretty good lineman draft and there are some receivers too. Perfect, because that is what we need.

Defense: same problems as last year though not as acute: need pass rush, linebackers who can drop into pass coverage, secondary upgrades (strong safety and cornerback).
    1. We get Chandler Jones back from injury, but could use another end.
    2. We need an interior lineman. Myron Pryor keeps getting hurt. Ron Brace was a bust. Kyle Love got hurt and is only average and mainly a run defender. Where is the push up the middle except for Wilfork who we would like to keep fresh for second half by playing someone else for a series or two in the first half. What do we have really? Deaderick? Armstead (CFL)? I could see us drafting an interior lineman at some point and signing some help too.
    3. We start 3 middle linebackers: Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower were all MLB's. They are all best against the run as they all have size. And can all blitz effectively. None of them make their money covering Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson, or Ray Rice effectively over the middle. We need some speed at linebacker and some players who excel at covering the TE and RB over the middle. We try to cover up this weakness by playing a lot of zone, but when we drop players into zone, the pass rush never gets there and eventually everyone is wide open. We need some different personnel so that we can play more aggressive on defense.
    4. Back end of the defense is weak. McCourty helped as we were getting torched for big plays down the center of the field repeatedly after a 5-3 start to the season (Seattle, Baltimore in particular). Tavon Wilson and Nate Ebner were the safeties in Seattle. We need a strong safety and I think that Jairus Byrd, Dashon Goldson would be perfect. Ed Reed may be OK too.
    5. Cornerback play is spotty. Dennard was a bright spot. Arrington is a free agent and would only really be for depth. Cole was a decent slot corner and plays special teams too, but is also a free agent. Talib got hurt twice (hip, hamstring) so how much do you offer him, but when healthy the whole defense looked different. Dowling has been to IR two years in a row so that may be the story of his life, but he is 6'2" and quick, so hope springs eternal. We need a cornerback, not necessarily Talib, but someone good to play opposite Dennard.

On balance, we need more help on defense than on offense.

Defense: interior line, defensive end, LB with speed that can cover TE, strong safety, #1 corner
    Offense: right tackle, wide receiver, interior line depth

I think that I would like it more if the team committed to playing more physical and aggressive. Stay balanced on offense, run the ball and throw to TE/RB, mix up tempo and grind clock occasionally wear down opposing defense. Blitz more on defense. Play more man-to-man coverage. Get up on the line and be physical with receivers instead of laying off 5 to 10 yards conceding the short pass if the other team cares to take it.

We'll see. I like the team a lot. Don't think we match up physically anymore to teams like the Ravens or 49ers like we did in 2003 and 2004 when we were possibly the most physical team in the game. I think that the needs on defense need to take priority over offense.

Quote Originally Posted by metrix View Post
    I think I'm inclined to agree with this. I think McCourty is deemed "good" almost by default. I recall some of the great Safeties and if I'm being honest I see a rather large gap between them and McCourty. I'm not saying McCourty is bad per se. Only that we've grown accustomed to average performances by a lot of safeties and automatically deem them as "good". Because we're lef tot compare them to a lot of other average Safeties. IMO, both Safety spots need an upgrade even with McCourty in play at the position.
    Disagree. McCourty's perfect for today's NFL and is on the trajectory to become a top 10 S in the league next season.
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

"Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

He's already a top 10 safety. That says something about the overall mediocre safety play in the NFL, but after a couple guys like Weddle, Goldson, Kenny Phillips (when healthy), DeCoud and Byrd, I'd put McCourty right in the mix.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    He's already a top 10 safety. That says something about the overall mediocre safety play in the NFL, but after a couple guys like Weddle, Goldson, Kenny Phillips (when healthy), DeCoud and Byrd, I'd put McCourty right in the mix.
    DeCoud? Meh. I'd take William Moore over him.
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

"Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

Off season moves

Welker Let him test the market.
    Volmer Gone, will take to much to sign him. Can play LT for another team.
    Edleman Offer small money he will get injured again.
    Talib A must sign, IMO, he won't cost his value. ( I don't trust the Pats to draft a good one high in the draft)
    Arrington Sign him ( inside slot). Dowling forces Pats to use him outside.
    Woodhead Let him test the market. Make counter offer to keep him if he meets the Pats value. Maybe worth more to Pats than others.

Needs 1. Secure RT tackle outside the organization. SB signed big contract ,gone.
    2. Need a safety, get the best you can FA or draft. Don't short cut the position.
    3. WR That can take it to the house. That fastest guy you can get. I would use Demps anyone that can run!!!!
    Willie Gault couldn't couldn't catch a cold but he scared the crap out of the defense
    4. CB Take the bad boy from LSU. We need to replace Dowling the glass man!
    5. Cover LB
    Last edited by m haynes; 02-06-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    Don't worry about spelling , get the meaning.

I think people are underselling the depth problems we had on the DL. Guys like Deaderick, Cunningham, Love, et al are just mediocre players and none of them get much pressure on the QB. I know we added Armstead but I'd like to see the Patriots add more to the DL, whether it is another penetrating DT or a DE. If Wilfork ever missed time we'd be screwed.

Rotoworld is saying the Pats dont' wanna give Talib more than 1 year.

Good luck keeping him with that. With Grimes injury, Talib might be the #1 CB on the market.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

I think people are underselling the depth problems we had on the DL. Guys like Deaderick, Cunningham, Love, et al are just mediocre players and none of them get much pressure on the QB. I know we added Armstead but I'd like to see the Patriots add more to the DL, whether it is another penetrating DT or a DE. If Wilfork ever missed time we'd be screwed.
    There's some meat for the DL in free agency...pass rushing DT's don't grow on trees...but there are names like Hampton who is long in the tooth...Franklin who was good a few years ago...some of those guys could give Love a run for his $$$....mix in Cunningham, the CFL dude, Pryor, and etc...we could find something...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Rotoworld is saying the Pats dont' wanna give Talib more than 1 year.

Good luck keeping him with that. With Grimes injury, Talib might be the #1 CB on the market.
    I think they're willing to let him walk, and besides, I think the market for Talib may be smaller than you think. There's a reason he only fetched a late-round pick in a trade.

Jeepers Creepers!

Checkit out

Former NFL defensive lineman Tony Casillas scoffed at the "deer antler spray" madness that surrounded Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis during Super Bowl, telling a Dallas radio show Wednesday that his Cowboys teammates in the 1990s were fond of their own obscure potential enhancement product, a horrific-smelling veterinary ointment known as DMSO.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...drugs/1898805/

Quote Originally Posted by m haynes View Post
    Off season moves

Welker Let him test the market.
    Volmer Gone, will take to much to sign him. Can play LT for another team.
    Edleman Offer small money he will get injured again.
    Talib A must sign, IMO, he won't cost his value. ( I don't trust the Pats to draft a good one high in the draft)
    Arrington Sign him ( inside slot). Dowling forces Pats to use him outside.
    Woodhead Let him test the market. Make counter offer to keep him if he meets the Pats value. Maybe worth more to Pats than others.

Needs 1. Secure RT tackle outside the organization. SB signed big contract ,gone.
    2. Need a safety, get the best you can FA or draft. Don't short cut the position.
    3. WR That can take it to the house. That fastest guy you can get. I would use Demps anyone that can run!!!!
    Willie Gault couldn't couldn't catch a cold but he scared the crap out of the defense
    4. CB Take the bad boy from LSU. We need to replace Dowling the glass man!
    5. Cover LB
    I am definitely not with you on a ton of this.

I just don't want to think about the Welker stuff, so I am gonna table that.
    Vollmer depends. Does he want LT money in early negotiations? Do other teams offer LT money? I think we need at least to make a sincere effort to sign him at first.
    Edelman should be a cheap resign, why not?
    I completely agree Talib is a must sign. Maybe not for five years, but at least two.
    Arrington is perfect for us as a slot corner, and if he costs that much even better. Best? Talib Dennard and someone else push him to dime.
    Woodhead, I just so no real possibility he gets any offer outside us that keeps him signing a decent offer with us.

RT need obviously is dependent on Vollmer. If he is gone, Bill/Dante might be comfortable with Levoir/Cannon, then this need gets pushed down. However I could see this making draft day trades at a premium, letting us pick up more picks to get developmental OL to fill the coffers.

I personally think safety is one of our lowest needs. Sure everyone likes the best of both worlds. I just think we can get by fine with what we have at DL and S and insert money/talent elsewhere.

We have McCourty at FS who looks the part. Plus we have Wilson/Gregory at 2a/2b. Wilson is obviously young, so there is a good chance he develops into a good starter. The three deep of McCourty Wilson Gregory seems nice to me, and much nicer than a ton of other positions. No way I see this in the first like we are being mocked. However if a S with a first roundish grade slips to our second rounder, I wouldn't scoff at a S, but it needs to be a huge value.

3. I was mum on WR, now I am 1000% on board. This however depends a lot on the first round shakedown. I think we take at least one WR in the first three rounds with a bunch of nice ones with concerns out there: Allen, Hopkins, Woods, Austin, Patterson, Hunter, Wheaton, the list goes on. Patterson is kind of a pipe dream, if he tests 100%, he is top 15.

If you want speed, we should take a flier on Marquise Goodwin from UT. Biggest speedster in the draft and then we would have two 2012 track and field Olympians on our team!

4) I definitely like CB. In a perfect world, I want to solidify our rotation as Talib 1 new guy 2 Dennard 3 and not have to rely on Arrington at all, Dowling to be healthy, or scrubs to step up. The problem? pretty much every team in the league wants to get better at corner. Value dependent or get lucky with a small school guy later. And Mathieu is so far from the answer for us. I would rather use what we have plus maybe Goodwin as our returners. Mathieu is not that great of a corner.

5) I guess this would be nice. Maybe find a really oversized SS in the seventh and try it out.

Haha I think you just described a ton of depth, where the problem none are worth anything more than just that.

From my perspective I think it is fine, but isn't Glenn Dorsey a FA? Dude was stuck in square hole for his time at KC. Plus he was recruited by Saban. Plus he could plug right in at UT next to Wilfork and learn one role.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast