Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason news

Offseason news

4 Patriots make the PFF all-pro team

First team
    Tight End: Rob Gronkowski (NE)

The only thing that was going to keep Gronkowski out was his injury, but the performance in Week 17 eliminated even that argument. The Patriot is, by some distance, the best tight end in the NFL. He blocks well, gets open all over the field, and spikes like few can. He led our tight end rankings for the second year and its hard to look past him going forward.

Outside Linebacker: Jerod Mayo (NE)

In the past weve shouted from the rooftops how overrated Mayo has been. However, hes taken a big step forward this year with some strikingly consistent play that saw him finish the year our No. 2 ranked 4-3 outside linebacker.

Second team
    Sebastian Vollmer (NE) One of the more heated discussions came when Vollmer was selected over Anthony Davis. Both played exceptionally well with the work of Vollmer in pass protection getting him the selection.

Devin McCourty (NE) He was good at cornerback and then he was good at free safety. We had to find a space for him and this was the most logical position.

McCourty has had a really interesting first three years of his career. Hopefully Belichick settles on a position for the kid. Safety seems to be the right one but whatever it is, just let him stay there and he will REALLY flourish. Looking back at the last couple drafts, the Pats have really nailed their 1st and 2nd round picks.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

Per Bedard:

Defensive lineman Armond Armstead won't be the only Canadian Football League player with the Patriots this offseason. The team has agreed to terms with Brockton native and former Northeastern standout end/linebacker Jason Vega on a contract, CFL and NFL sources said.

Go, Huskies!
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

The team has agreed to terms with Brockton native and former Northeastern standout end/linebacker Jason Vega on a contract.
    Welcome home.
    And the more you see it, the more obvious it appears that there are two opposing forces at work; those that want us to know the TRUTH, and others who are frantically pulling out all stops to COVER IT UP.

Jimmy Carter, 2008

2013 opponents:
    (Farthest game west is at Houston)

HOME GAMES

TEAM W L Pct.
    Denver Broncos 13 3 .813
    Pittsburgh Steelers 8 8 .500
    New Orleans Saints 7 9 .438
    Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 9 .438
    New York Jets 6 10 .375
    Buffalo Bills 6 10 .375
    Cleveland Browns 5 11 .313

AWAY GAMES

TEAM W L Pct.
    Atlanta Falcons 13 3 .813
    Houston Texans 12 4 .750
    Baltimore Ravens 10 6 .625
    Cincinnati Bengals 10 6 .625
    Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438
    Carolina Panthers 7 9 .438
    New York Jets 6 10 .375
    Buffalo Bills 5 11 .313

Quote Originally Posted by Lester View Post
    2013 opponents:
    (Farthest game west is at Houston)

HOME GAMES

TEAM W L Pct.
    Denver Broncos 13 3 .813
    Pittsburgh Steelers 8 8 .500
    New Orleans Saints 7 9 .438
    Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 9 .438
    New York Jets 6 10 .375
    Buffalo Bills 6 10 .375
    Cleveland Browns 5 11 .313

AWAY GAMES

TEAM W L Pct.
    Atlanta Falcons 13 3 .813
    Houston Texans 12 4 .750
    Baltimore Ravens 10 6 .625
    Cincinnati Bengals 10 6 .625
    Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438
    Carolina Panthers 7 9 .438
    New York Jets 6 10 .375
    Buffalo Bills 5 11 .313
    Nice that we won't travel too far west..but Saints, Broncos, and Steelers at home...wow...we literally must go 5-0 at home vs. our division, the Bucs, and Browns.

Roadies in Atlanta, Baltimore...ouch...and the Texans could be tough (they can't be happy at how their season ended)....the Panthers could rise...the Bengals aren't push overs anymore...hmmm...

I can't complain...as I think the NFC West is now the best division in the NFC...and we won't play the NFC North or the East at least.....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Is McCourty a top 10 Safety?

Yes, without a doubt. There is a massive dearth of safety talent in the NFL right now. Other than Weddle, there's really no safety in the AFC I'd take ahead of him given his age.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    Yes, without a doubt. There is a massive dearth of safety talent in the NFL right now. Other than Weddle, there's really no safety in the AFC I'd take ahead of him given his age.
    I think I'm inclined to agree with this. I think McCourty is deemed "good" almost by default. I recall some of the great Safeties and if I'm being honest I see a rather large gap between them and McCourty. I'm not saying McCourty is bad per se. Only that we've grown accustomed to average performances by a lot of safeties and automatically deem them as "good". Because we're lef tot compare them to a lot of other average Safeties. IMO, both Safety spots need an upgrade even with McCourty in play at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by hendersonsplow View Post

Devin McCourty (NE) – He was good at CB and then he was good at free safety. We had to find a space for him and this was the most logical position.
    McCourty was very good at CB his rookie year but since has only "decent" last few attempts at it. He is a much MUCH better safety but even still he barely makes top 10 in my book.
    However if you list the top 5 or 6 young safety, meaning not 30+ in NFL:Weddle, Berry, Antrel Rolle, Goldson, Griffin, Earl Thomas. McCourty would be in the mix. But like someone said safety position in the NFL currently is rather weak.

No need to go breaking the bank for Reed but he could be great mentor to PAT's entire defensive secondary.
    (BREAK THE BANK IF TEACHES RAS-I DOWLING NOT TO GET HURT!!!) That combined with teaching McCourty how to not lose track of the ball when turns his back from the QB would be worth the costs!
    But I don't want see McCourty moved back to CB... again! I also have small concern with impact on development of a T. Wilson getting game snaps.
    Tavon Wilson played well in spots, he has good instincts ala Reed but is little bigger and brings more aggressive play than McCourty IMO.
    Last edited by NEpats_fan; 01-29-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    "aahhhhh, he said nig gaaah"
    Courtesy of Riley Cooper's hot friend.

Quote Originally Posted by metrix View Post
    I think I'm inclined to agree with this. I think McCourty is deemed "good" almost by default. I recall some of the great Safeties and if I'm being honest I see a rather large gap between them and McCourty. I'm not saying McCourty is bad per se. Only that we've grown accustomed to average performances by a lot of safeties and automatically deem them as "good". Because we're lef tot compare them to a lot of other average Safeties. IMO, both Safety spots need an upgrade even with McCourty in play at the position.
    Yeah the reality is now most of the good safeties are really just corners who can wrap up well. The days of headhunting, Rodney Harrison/Ronnie Lott type intimidators who can also pick off passes are gone. The best safeties nowadays are often the ones you never hear their name called during a game, because it's their responsibility to cover the deep third of the field. So if you hear their name it usually means (a) an interception, (b) a PI penalty or (c) a big completion/TD.

Quote Originally Posted by NEpats_fan View Post
    That combined with teaching McCourty how to not lose track of the ball when turns his back from the QB would be worth the costs!
    What would Reed teach him? I have seen Reed pick a lot of balls over the yrs, and I can't think of many that came with his back to the ball. The guy plays 30 yds off the LOS at times and has played with his front to the QB basically his whole career!

Quote Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
    What would Reed teach him? I have seen Reed pick a lot of balls over the yrs, and I can't think of many that came with his back to the ball. The guy plays 30 yds off the LOS at times and has played with his front to the QB basically his whole career!
    Reed knows how to read the WRs actions that points him going for the ball. I have seen Reed on plenty of plays running stride for stride with a guy across middle turnin at right moment to knock away a pass.
    Last edited by NEpats_fan; 01-31-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    "aahhhhh, he said nig gaaah"
    Courtesy of Riley Cooper's hot friend.

I'd be fine with keeping McCourty at safety but he played well at CB this year. I believe he was in the top 10 or so in Completion % against and passer rating against.

Reed said some glowing things about Belichick this week but still I can't see him playing anywhere except Baltimore. No reason to leave unless they don't want him back.

We resigned Fletcher today....good...hopefully he can cover guys in the middle of the field...but I'd like to pick up another speedy vet LB that can cover...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast