Thread: No bill, no pay

No bill, no pay

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/23/news...html?hpt=hp_t3

This will likely pass. It will be interesting to see whether this can kickstart real negotiations

Maybe next time they should offer to resign if they can't get something done.

Unconstitutional.

AMENDMENT XXVII

Originally proposed Sept. 25, 1789. Ratified May 7, 1992.

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of representatives shall have intervened.
    Herbert F. Kornfield Killed Off

Midstate Office Supply

\m/

"If I die before the Allman Brothers quit touring, I died knowing that I had one more kick ass show to go to."

- vikesguy

It's a good thing it's unconstitutional too. You wouldn't want a coalition of legislators who are independently wealthy, or have wealthy backers who can keep them afloat for an indefinite period of time as they squeeze the more pedestrian members of the chambers for a particularly lopsided deal.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Stupid idea.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

I guess nobody was listening when the GOPers in the house recited the consitution
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

So the law threatens the Senate so that they have to pass a budget that they are already obligated, by law, to pass... good job Congress. Keep on being useless...
    And what I'm saying to you is, yes, I found a flaw... I've been very distressed by that fact.
    Alan Greenspan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by toine View Post
    So the law threatens the Senate so that they have to pass a budget that they are already obligated, by law, to pass... good job Congress. Keep on being useless...
    Well, they haven't passed one since 2009 so...

The pay withholding thing is stupid.

As for the substance -- the Republicans have said that their price for giving up on debt ceiling blackmail is a political process fix to at least get budget bills partially passed. That's a LOT more reasonable than their absurd previous stance of threatening default if they don't get their way on hotly contested policy issues.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Just balance the friggin budget already. How hard can it fvcking be?!?!?!
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.