Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy idea

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    I was relying there on a thread I found in a Cowboys board. Turns out that part of Ratliff's new contract involves a renegotiation of the last year or two of his old one. Sportrac has his cap hits at $5.225 and $5.6 million for this year and next. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jay-ratliff/
    Gotcha. i think the Campbell contract is more reflective of what Melton might get. Which means:

1. Sure, we can backload it to afford him next year.
    2. Doing so means some major money owed in the later years, and for a young guy, good chance we won't be able to keep restructuring (down)

The good news is the cap starts a major expansion after this year. And Stein is among the best in the biz. Given we're in the middle w/ available cap space, I think we have an "as usual" type offseason - the ability to resign Melton, one big-name player (ala a LT) and resign all of the lower-tier guys we want to. And maybe a mid-tier fill in as well (like a vet TE). I'm officially off the edge regarding worrying about this.

We'd have to get at least a late 2nd for Peppers. I would try to trade Melton, too. Franchise him and trade him like the Pats did w/ Cassell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    Here's a nutty thought. But it completely changes the face of our cap position and our defense.

1. We trade Julius Peppers for draft picks. That saves us $8M from our cap. We tell the new coach to work with last year's #1 pick as our RDE.
    2. We don't re-sign Melton. That rids us of a guy who was going to consume $7-8M/year and a guy who only does one thing--is a one-gap penetration guy.

Obviously, we throw out our 2 best DL guys and that's bad. But it also--particularly with Melton--opens the door to playing a different style of defense than the T2. Clearly, we'd have to go with a scheme that is more workable for lighter, faster guys on the edge. We'd also have an opening at DT we would have to fill. But perhaps we could use $4M or one of our higher draft picks to bring in a different type of player--a big fattie?--to man the interior of the DL.

These are the kind of moves you make when you go to a new coaching staff. Dump big $$$ guys to free up $$$ and bring in draft picks to remold the team with a different vision.

Probably crazy moves. But conceivable.
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

I say we reduce the roster down to about 20 with some players playing both ways or maybe play a couple short on offense. I don't think anyone would notice.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

The problem with getting rid of Peppers is that he makes everybody else on that defensive line better. I don’t think that you can say that about any of our other guys at this point. In my opinion he has been worth every penny for that reason alone. Something obviously has to give, and I sure hope that it doesn’t mean showing Melton the door. I don’t know, I just think that Peppers is a guy that has value far beyond his actual production. It’s not just a matter of replacing his sack production with one guy, it’s a matter for finding another guy that will draw as much attention as Peppers does. Those guys tend to cost about what we are paying Peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by anhur View Post
    The problem with getting rid of Peppers is that he makes everybody else on that defensive line better. I don’t think that you can say that about any of our other guys at this point. In my opinion he has been worth every penny for that reason alone. Something obviously has to give, and I sure hope that it doesn’t mean showing Melton the door. I don’t know, I just think that Peppers is a guy that has value far beyond his actual production. It’s not just a matter of replacing his sack production with one guy, it’s a matter for finding another guy that will draw as much attention as Peppers does. Those guys tend to cost about what we are paying Peppers.
    I agree with anhur and honestly I think it is a huge gamble to part ways with 2 of the best players on our defense in hopes to acquire guys who we can plug in and work. This is way too much to play with. Its a pipe dream and I can't say it wouldn't work but just because a player works well for another team doesn't mean they will fit here. Just because a rookie plays well in college doesn't mean it will translate to the Pro's. We know Peppers makes players around him better. We know Peppers has and continues to play at a Pro-Bowl level. We know Melton plays at a top level at the age 26? Why waste this on wishes and hopes of someone else doing the same? I'm sorry but this makes no sense at all. Especially when we lost Rod Marinelli as DC which already could become a problem. I personally think we need to do everything we can to keep the core defensive players intact and add youth through the draft to keep it at a top level. I can understand not signing Urlacher and asking to restructure Peppers, extend Tillmans contract to add space but that's about all I'd go for.

On offense I dont care of we clean the entire line. Cut Hester because he hasn't lived to his contract. Cut Kellen Davis beause he's garbage at best. There are plenty other ways to clean this cap than tampering with 2 of the best players we have. We need to focus on that.

LT, TE, MLB are key needs. FA i'm only concerned with 2 positions at this point. LT and TE. If we can splash on 1 top player and another solid TE who won't command 6+ mil contract I say lets go that route and worry about the rest via draft. We aren't that many players away from doing something. We don't need to go tearing up this roster for multiple position changes when only a few are needed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by brantcruz50 View Post
    Gotcha. i think the Campbell contract is more reflective of what Melton might get. Which means:

1. Sure, we can backload it to afford him next year.
    2. Doing so means some major money owed in the later years, and for a young guy, good chance we won't be able to keep restructuring (down)

The good news is the cap starts a major expansion after this year. And Stein is among the best in the biz. Given we're in the middle w/ available cap space, I think we have an "as usual" type offseason - the ability to resign Melton, one big-name player (ala a LT) and resign all of the lower-tier guys we want to. And maybe a mid-tier fill in as well (like a vet TE). I'm officially off the edge regarding worrying about this.
    I don't care if we're active in FA. 1 Top young LT, and a Vet TE ala Dustin Keller would fufill my FA hopes.

That leaves RT, Guard, Center, MLB, CB, OLB, Safety, WR via draft.

Quote Originally Posted by pellepelle10 View Post
    I agree with anhur and honestly I think it is a huge gamble to part ways with 2 of the best players on our defense in hopes to acquire guys who we can plug in and work. This is way too much to play with. Its a pipe dream and I can't say it wouldn't work but just because a player works well for another team doesn't mean they will fit here. Just because a rookie plays well in college doesn't mean it will translate to the Pro's. We know Peppers makes players around him better. We know Peppers has and continues to play at a Pro-Bowl level. We know Melton plays at a top level at the age 26? Why waste this on wishes and hopes of someone else doing the same? I'm sorry but this makes no sense at all. Especially when we lost Rod Marinelli as DC which already could become a problem. I personally think we need to do everything we can to keep the core defensive players intact and add youth through the draft to keep it at a top level. I can understand not signing Urlacher and asking to restructure Peppers, extend Tillmans contract to add space but that's about all I'd go for.

On offense I dont care of we clean the entire line. Cut Hester because he hasn't lived to his contract. Cut Kellen Davis beause he's garbage at best. There are plenty other ways to clean this cap than tampering with 2 of the best players we have. We need to focus on that.

LT, TE, MLB are key needs. FA i'm only concerned with 2 positions at this point. LT and TE. If we can splash on 1 top player and another solid TE who won't command 6+ mil contract I say lets go that route and worry about the rest via draft. We aren't that many players away from doing something. We don't need to go tearing up this roster for multiple position changes when only a few are needed right now.
    pelle buddy, waz up?

I agree with most of your post. Urlacher and hester can walk, but I think they are good with Tucker as the DC. I know you live in Washington so you may not be privy to all of the local buzz. check out the meet mel tucker thread for a little local perspective.
    As far as FA is concerned, if they can land an LT like bushrod( kromer connection ) and keller, I think we'd all be happy. Then they can adress the rest in the draft the bpa way.

haha whats up my man. I've been spending a lot of time on twitter getting a lot of inside info from Chicago, NFL writers, analysts. Its amazing how fast you receive info on there. I've been following along whats been going on and I'm not knocking Tucker. It'll have to wait until this season to see what he can do and the good thing is we haven't really lost any of our positional coaches which will help us significantly on the defensive side of the ball. Jon Hoke was the biggest help of all. Bushrod was TERRIBLE at pass blocking and I can't say a change of scene will help him here. I personally would like us to get someone of higher value for the line as we need a face as we once did with Tait, Kruetz during their Pro-Bowl era.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12