Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    There are examples pro and con for taking QB's in the first and waiting till later. There is no bonifide formula for drafting a franchise QB. What you can't do imo, is overrate a QB due to the position he plays while passing up a blue chip player at another position. This is what I believe KC would be doing if they took a QB #1. I understand that the private workouts have not taken place yet, but I honestly don't put much emphasis on that in regards to ranking a player. Look at the tape in game situations. That is where you find out what a kid can do. If you look at the film on the QB's in this draft class, it is really not all that impressive. It doesn't mean they won't become good players, but if I'm picking in the top ten or even top 20 for that matter, do I pass up what I think is a clearly better player at another position simply for the hope that a QB I rank lower will exceed my expectations? I wouldn't, and while the money risk is not as big of a factor, you still have to pay the guy a good sum and you are going a few years longer without getting that QB you thought you had but didn't.

In the end, its too early to tell, as we don't quite know enough about these guys IMO. I'm very curious to see what teams think of these guys after their interviews and personal workouts.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Glennon and WIlson are the new Ryan and Flacco. Don't be the team that takes Jake Long.
    If Long had stayed 100% no one would be writing sentences like this. Long was a blue chip LT prospect.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

In the end, its too early to tell, as we don't quite know enough about these guys IMO. I'm very curious to see what teams think of these guys after their interviews and personal workouts.
    Yep, but it's still fun to speculate.

Despite my arguments earlier, I'm probably higher (or at least I was) on Glennon than a lot of guys. He didn't have great games against Florida State, but was still making some incredible passes and did enough to beat us two years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    If Long had stayed 100% no one would be writing sentences like this. Long was a blue chip LT prospect.
    I completely disagree. I'm not counting his recent decline when saying that. No LT is worth passing on Matt Ryan for when you don't have any sort of franchise QB.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    Yep, but it's still fun to speculate.

Despite my arguments earlier, I'm probably higher (or at least I was) on Glennon than a lot of guys. He didn't have great games against Florida State, but was still making some incredible passes and did enough to beat us two years in a row.
    Yah, he's got to clean up a few things, like footwork and trying to do too much with his arm, but I'm sticking to the idea that he can be another Flacco type.

The history of 2nd round QBs is pretty ugly. There are a few gems like Brees, but not many.

Maybe changing. Dalton and Kaepernick are both 2nd rounders.
    Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.

Maybe, or maybe they are flukes. Even with them counted in the numbers aren't good.

I completely disagree. I'm not counting his recent decline when saying that. No LT is worth passing on Matt Ryan for when you don't have any sort of franchise QB.
    I think you're using some serious hindsight.

I don't think Ryan would be the #1 QB in this class. Very few thought he was truly a franchise QB.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

I don't think Ryan would be the #1 QB in this class. Very few thought he was truly a franchise QB.
    Very true, a lot of people (including me), were dogging him for his high INT numbers at Boston College. I don't call him getting much play for #1 overall.

I am using hindsight and I agree with you, read my posts in this thread. I"m just saying, you don't want to be that team looking back in hindsight again. I think that's really about the time the value of QBs in this league started to skyrocket.

Amusing Senior Bowl Q and A here. A bunch of random questions such as, who has the best NFL uniforms(overwhelmingly Seahawks), who would you want to coach your team if you started an NFL franchise(Saban) etc.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...avor_eigh.html

I don't agree, Mayock loved Ryan and obviously, he was ranked in the top 5 and would blow this QB class to pieces if he was available. That was a very solid draft year with lots of top end talent, this year's QB class is having difficulty getting a top 5 rating with a minimal amount of elite athletes.

As for QB's getting drafted too high, one factor comes to mind immediately, there are a ton of new GM's and HC's in the league looking to make a dramatic statement to their fan base/owner and drafting a QB in round 1 has that impact.

From what I saw at the Senior Bowl, the only QB's who might possibly carry round 1 talent are Geo Smith and perhaps Tyler Bray, non of the QB's at the Senior Bowl proved a whole lot except that they are a mediocre lot.
    Last edited by kenroher; 01-26-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Ryan had more questions than probably Smith Wilson and probably Barkely.

you guys are using hindsight.

- Ghandi

Ryan had more questions than probably Smith Wilson and probably Barkely.

you guys are using hindsight.
    I remember reading a quote from a member of I think it was the Chiefs front office saying Ryan was not a franchise QB at the time. He had good physical attributes, but had won nothing at BC and turned the ball over a lot. I'm probably in the minority but I still think the guy is overrated. He's obviously turned into a very good NFL QB but a lot of his success is based on the weapons he has imo. He's able to just throw the ball up because he has receivers that win the one on one battles. Meanwhile he still throws too many picks and tends to shrink in big games.

This just doesn't look like a strong QB class. I'm glad the Niners aren't looking for one.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast