Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 143
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    31,781
    Quote Originally Posted by LASam View Post
    Geno Smith started well this season but got progressively worse as it went along and was awful in the Bowl game.
    Yup, on the same field, in their most recent game, Nassib looked and threw better. Not sure how he isn't the consensus better prospect.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    As an Eagles fan, the question I ask is, are any of these guys better than Nick Foles? I am not sure any of them are clearly better, though some may turn out to be. Thus, I don't think I reach for one.
    I think the Eagles would take Geno if he fell there, but probably not anyone else.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Dre View Post
    Why not a team like the Chiefs?

    I think they are a perfect fit, I think he can succeed in a WCO and he's the perfect guy to bring in and manage a team while a rookie gets up to speed
    I think he's a nice fit, but I think they need to find their guy for the future at this point. They haven't drafted a 1st round QB in 30 years. Its time.


    edit - I think under Reid, the difference between Smith and Cassel is probably minimal.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,789
    As I've said, if NFL teams agree that X guy is purely a shot in the dark, they won't take him, and that's fine. I'm not arguing that.

    Flacco wasn't a top 15 pick ... riiight. OK. So enough teams stupidly passed to make him the 18th pick or whatever it was. Think most of them wouldn't change their pick in a millisecond? Flacco had some question marks but the teams who passed on him SHOULD HAVE MADE THE PICK. That's my point and there's no argument against it. There never has been, especially since the rule changes made it that if you don't have a QB you don't have a good team. Again, if it's determined that the leader of this class has too many questions to take him, that's OK. You can't play the lottery. But just because he's not Andrew Luck, you still take him if he's good enough with a couple blemishes. Anyone that waits until round 3, and if anyone from this class gets taken late and goes onto early success, that team got lucky in their pick, because they clearly didn't identify him as a guy who would come in early and do well. Otherwise they'd have taken him way earlier. Drafting and developing is a very different story. And it's basically completely irrelevant when it comes to bad teams with no QB, i.e. those picking high enough to take a real prospect.

    FWIW, Mayock said Wilson "generated buzz" at the Senior Bowl. He also said that he talked to scouts and quoted them saying they're not even watching 2012 Arkansas tape because they were such a mess and it's not fair. They're looking at 2011 tape.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,789
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    Yup, on the same field, in their most recent game, Nassib looked and threw better. Not sure how he isn't the consensus better prospect.
    Yeah, because we judge prospects on ONE game, a game played in terrible snow conditions. I'm not sure either.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,789
    Kind of bored of discussing QBs tbh. Suffice it to say I hope Geno or Wilson gets a bit more pub in the next few months and the Chiefs sack up and take 1. If not, well, sucks, but they can at least land another elite prospect. No idea where a QB comes from though.

    I'm interested to see which DBs might slide to 34.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    31,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Yeah, because we judge prospects on ONE game, a game played in terrible snow conditions. I'm not sure either.
    That's how they play them. One at a time. And head to head, on the same field, on the same day, it wasn't even close. Perhaps you are saying that was Geno at his worst and Nassib at his best, but I sure hope that Geno doesn't show up too often across the rest of the games. And unfortunately for him as a prospect, he does. And that wasn't Nassib at his best either that day, but he was still better than Geno.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    As I've said, if NFL teams agree that X guy is purely a shot in the dark, they won't take him, and that's fine. I'm not arguing that.

    Flacco wasn't a top 15 pick ... riiight. OK. So enough teams stupidly passed to make him the 18th pick or whatever it was. Think most of them wouldn't change their pick in a millisecond? Flacco had some question marks but the teams who passed on him SHOULD HAVE MADE THE PICK. That's my point and there's no argument against it. There never has been, especially since the rule changes made it that if you don't have a QB you don't have a good team. Again, if it's determined that the leader of this class has too many questions to take him, that's OK. You can't play the lottery. But just because he's not Andrew Luck, you still take him if he's good enough with a couple blemishes. Anyone that waits until round 3, and if anyone from this class gets taken late and goes onto early success, that team got lucky in their pick, because they clearly didn't identify him as a guy who would come in early and do well. Otherwise they'd have taken him way earlier. Drafting and developing is a very different story. And it's basically completely irrelevant when it comes to bad teams with no QB, i.e. those picking high enough to take a real prospect.

    FWIW, Mayock said Wilson "generated buzz" at the Senior Bowl. He also said that he talked to scouts and quoted them saying they're not even watching 2012 Arkansas tape because they were such a mess and it's not fair. They're looking at 2011 tape.
    Hindsight is always 20/20. There are plenty of QB busts on the other side of that argument, too.

    Which gets me back to the original point that unless I really love one of them I probably just wait and see what happens at the top of round 2 if my team is drafting high enough.

    I just don't see why I need to take Glennon high if I can take Bray later. They are pretty similar in terms of size and strengths/weaknesses.

    I'm just not feeling that any of these guys is worth a high gamble, MAYBE Wilson. I would have considered Aaron Murray, too.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    31,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Kind of bored of discussing QBs tbh. Suffice it to say I hope Geno or Wilson gets a bit more pub in the next few months and the Chiefs sack up and take 1. If not, well, sucks, but they can at least land another elite prospect. No idea where a QB comes from though.
    You should consider the draft that landed the Chargers Drew Brees. How much worse would they have been with Vick instead of a Tomlinson/Brees combo.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    31,781
    BTW, from the looks of it here, and considering the history and this draft process every single year, I think we can say now, and it will be said much over the next few months, that Tyler Wilson in the best QB in this draft and he could go #1.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    31,554
    Wilson is the new Mike Glennon of the KFFL draft board.

    Seriously, if my team reaches for a QB I am going to be upset. I want Joeckel or Fisher in round one, and a safety like Vaccaro or Thomas in round 2. Those are huge need positions that can actually be addressed with solid players worthy of their draft status.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,698
    The history of 2nd round QBs is pretty ugly. There are a few gems like Brees, but not many.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    Wilson is the new Mike Glennon of the KFFL draft board.

    Seriously, if my team reaches for a QB I am going to be upset. I want Joeckel or Fisher in round one, and a safety like Vaccaro or Thomas in round 2. Those are huge need positions that can actually be addressed with solid players worthy of their draft status.
    Glennon and WIlson are the new Ryan and Flacco. Don't be the team that takes Jake Long.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    31,554
    In this draft, I very much want to be that team. None of these guys are going to be Joe Flacco or Matty Ice, much less RGIII or Luck.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,698
    That's my point though, nobody thought Flacco or Ryan were going to be what they are either. I think this year's class is being underrated for a few different reasons. Mostly due to last year's class being so highly regarded and them being the comparison now.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.