Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 143
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,721

    Senior Bowl thread


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    london, canada
    Posts
    9,436
    Here's some more weigh ins with comments that should prove useful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    31,548
    Looks like Eric Fisher is the best player there and will go top 5 now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,721
    Yeah, not sure on top 5, but I doubt he makes it past the Cards.

    My take so far:

    None of the QBs look great to me. They all flash talent but are really inconsistent. Glennon and Nassib have been the best of the bunch. Dysert has an arm but looks really raw and nervous.

    RBs - Barner looks good, beyond that I haven't paid too much attention to them. Most of the practice drills have been one-on-ones OL vs DL, QBs, etc and little for the RBs.

    WR - looks like a pretty good group to me. Patton was impressive yesterday vs Trufant, who has also been looking very good. Terrance Williams looked up and down, did a poor job of getting off the jam in the practices yesterday IMO. Markus Wheaton looked quite good and Denard Robinson looked raw but explosive. Tavarres King, Dobson, etc looked good, as well.

    OL - Lane Johnson looks great, could be a top 15-20 pick. David Quessenberry had a really good day at LG. Brian Schwenke, Larry Warford, and Brian Winters had good days. Rick Wagner, Oday Aboushi, Braxston Cave were awful. Justin Pugh and Xavier Nixon looked like guys that could be pretty good at OG.

    DL - Ansah got stoned a bunch of times, looked athletic but really raw. Mayock commented that he would be scared to risk a 1st on him and based solely on yesterday's performance, I would agree. Cornelius Washington just destroyed Aboushi, it was a blood bath, quite impressed with him. Datone Jones was also very impressive, I believe he was the only guy to beat Fisher. Kawann Short looked good, as well. Alex Okafor had a rough time going against Fisher. John Jenkins is a guy I tried to watch some because the Vikes be interested and I wasn't really impressed. Big guy but didn't really get much penetration IMO and seems like a 2 down player.

    LB - Kevin Reddick is the only guy I really noticed making plays but didn't really pay much attention. Oh yeah, Vince Williams (I believe it was him) absolutely destroyed a pulling OG. Shot through the hole and obliterated him. They replayed it about 5 times.

    DB - Robert Alford, Jordan Poyer, and Desmond Trufant were outstanding. Poyer showed quick hips and great balls skills. Really impressed with him. Trufant was trash talking a lot and playing very aggressively. I can't help but think that both may be in 1st round territory in a weak CB class IMO. I thought Jamar Taylor was solid, probably not a guy with a lot long/recovery speed, but did a good job of jamming WRs and being physical. Leon McFadden seemed to do well, too.

    I probably missed some but that what I remember after watching yesterday's practices.
    Last edited by PsychoViking; 01-23-2013 at 03:13 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,499
    Lot of positive buzz about Tyler Wilson. Interviewing extremely well with teams and media folk.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,323
    Wilson is gone by 7 at the latest, if not 1`or 2.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    31,548
    If someone drafts Tyler Wilson top 10 that will be like the Vikings reaching for Christian Ponder a few years back and taking him at 12.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    If someone drafts Tyler Wilson top 10 that will be like the Vikings reaching for Christian Ponder a few years back and taking him at 12.
    Wilson has talent, though, so that's a start. And he was being talked about as a top 10 guy prior to the season from hell for Arkansas, whereas Ponder was probably in the 5th round before his last year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,721
    With so many QBs seemingly even and locked in a group together, along with no one really being a true blue chip player, I'd pass and take whoever is left in round 2. I just don't see much separating any of them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    31,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Wilson has talent, though, so that's a start. And he was being talked about as a top 10 guy prior to the season from hell for Arkansas, whereas Ponder was probably in the 5th round before his last year.
    I actually like Wilson--as a second rounder. But he is simply not a top 10 type of talent. He is an Andy Dalton type at best in the NFL. He also has a history of concussions.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,446
    Not a good QB draft at all and some of these guys will be taken way ahead of where they should be.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,499
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    With so many QBs seemingly even and locked in a group together, along with no one really being a true blue chip player, I'd pass and take whoever is left in round 2. I just don't see much separating any of them.
    If you wait until round 2 you aren't addressing the position, you're just settling. That MAY prove to be what all the teams do, but I doubt it, mainly because I doubt they're as hungover from Luck/RG3 as all the Twidiots seem to be.

    IMO the QBs aren't particularly bunched up. There's Geno vs Wilson and then everyone else. Geno with elite production and good skill, but questions on footwork/mechanics, offensive system, possibly attitude; Wilson with a down year (which should be taken in context), some decision-making questions, etc. Everyone else, however, has a laundry list of question marks. A guy like Glennon has the height and arm strength but according to many he looks like a clown on most of his passes. Sure, he's a guy you might simply take a punt on with the 40th pick or whatever.

    There's also the big factor that the 1st pick no longer costs too much. Missing on a QB simply won't hurt you much more than missing on anyone. The REAL pain comes with 1 thing: NOT picking a QB who you should've.

    And remember: there's no such thing as a "franchise" LT. You don't win anything with an elite LT. The Dolphins wish they took Matt Ryan and didn't pay attention to the question marks over his INTs and upside.

    Better to swing and miss than bunt.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    If someone drafts Tyler Wilson top 10 that will be like the Vikings reaching for Christian Ponder a few years back and taking him at 12.
    Ponder isn't a legit franchise QB, but the Vikes don't make the playoffs without him this year. Wilson is easily the better prospect though
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    If you wait until round 2 you aren't addressing the position, you're just settling. That MAY prove to be what all the teams do, but I doubt it, mainly because I doubt they're as hungover from Luck/RG3 as all the Twidiots seem to be.

    IMO the QBs aren't particularly bunched up. There's Geno vs Wilson and then everyone else. Geno with elite production and good skill, but questions on footwork/mechanics, offensive system, possibly attitude; Wilson with a down year (which should be taken in context), some decision-making questions, etc. Everyone else, however, has a laundry list of question marks. A guy like Glennon has the height and arm strength but according to many he looks like a clown on most of his passes. Sure, he's a guy you might simply take a punt on with the 40th pick or whatever.

    There's also the big factor that the 1st pick no longer costs too much. Missing on a QB simply won't hurt you much more than missing on anyone. The REAL pain comes with 1 thing: NOT picking a QB who you should've.

    And remember: there's no such thing as a "franchise" LT. You don't win anything with an elite LT. The Dolphins wish they took Matt Ryan and didn't pay attention to the question marks over his INTs and upside.

    Better to swing and miss than bunt.
    I have to agree with this sentiment. I'd throw in that I think Glennon is right there with those 2 as well. He's pretty underrated. Similar stats and question marks to Matt Ryan who you mention here. Pretty bad supporting cast too, lots of drops and not a lot of playmakers. He has very good arm talent and I think he goes through progressions the best.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    9,170
    I think Alex Smith will be in high demand this offseason.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.