Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 9ERS4EVA View Post
    But by not calling it the refs decided the game by allowing a blatant penalty to not be called. Ravens could've gone easily gone down and won the game after the score so it's not as if it cost them the game, but it did take away the last chance the 9ers had.

If the situations were reversed I would say we got extremely lucky. Didn't get lucky with Bowman because the refs didn't call that play any differently than the whole game. But they just called a penalty on Culliver for the same thing but suddenly in the end zone it's ok.
    It could have been called but it wasn't, and the point is if you are relying on a flag on 4th down to save your ass, then you haven't put yourself in the best position to win a game. They had opportunities throughout the game and kept shooting themselves in the foot. The loss was based on the body of work not one no call on 4th down.

Quote Originally Posted by LASam View Post
    It could have been called but it wasn't, and the point is if you are relying on a flag on 4th down to save your ass, then you haven't put yourself in the best position to win a game. They had opportunities throughout the game and kept shooting themselves in the foot. The loss was based on the body of work not one no call on 4th down.
    I don't disagree. But the call was still blown in the context of calling the same thing on Culliver the drive prior. It can't be a foul on one side and not the other. The guy freaking bearhugged Crabby.

Roman is the ultimate goat however. Until this team has a passing game inside the redzone that they can count on they'll continue to have games like this. When was the last time anyone can remember a TD for the 9ers like Dennis Pitta had? Or even a TD in the back of the endzone in general. All the ass kissing for Roman all week and in the biggest series of his life is only call to the endzone was a fade.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

It was truly puzzling why Roman went away from the things they do best when the game was on the line. It's been said before that he overthinks things sometimes and trys to get too cute with the playcalling to go away from what he thinks the defense is expecting. There is something to be said for just lining up and doing what you do best and if they stop it at least you went down with your best shot. The final 3 plays on the drive were nothing remotely like what the Niner offense does best.

That was a really tough loss...but also, I think, a deserved one. Ultimately, we made too many mistakes to win. A bad penalty on the first play, a bad fumble, a bad interception, the special teams gaffe, appalling secondary play from Donte Whitner and Chris Culliver. Yes they should have done better on that last series, and yes there probably was a penalty available at the end there - but ultimately we made boneheaded mistakes that the Ravens didn't make nearly so much. A really disappointing loss, but we'll be back.

Colin Kaepernick is going to be a mega-star, barring injury. A phenomenal performance. I would have loved one designed run play for him on that last series from the 5-yd line.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_Niners_fan View Post
    That was a really tough loss...but also, I think, a deserved one. Ultimately, we made too many mistakes to win. A bad penalty on the first play, a bad fumble, a bad interception, the special teams gaffe, appalling secondary play from Donte Whitner and Chris Culliver. Yes they should have done better on that last series, and yes there probably was a penalty available at the end there - but ultimately we made boneheaded mistakes that the Ravens didn't make nearly so much. A really disappointing loss, but we'll be back.

Colin Kaepernick is going to be a mega-star, barring injury. A phenomenal performance. I would have loved one designed run play for him on that last series from the 5-yd line.
    maybe I'm blurring drives, but wasn't what he was doing when he rolled to the right ? 2nd down ? I haven't got around to re-watching any of the game

The throws on 3rd and 4th downs had to be made into the endzone.
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    maybe I'm blurring drives, but wasn't what he was doing when he rolled to the right ? 2nd down ? I haven't got around to re-watching any of the game

The throws on 3rd and 4th downs had to be made into the endzone.
    Just rewatched that play...honestly I think Colin could've ran that one in. He would've needed a big block by Delanie and it would've been close but I think it's one instance where running it would've been a better option...tho Crabtree probably should've had the catch. Wasn't an easy one but it hits his hands.

Also rewatching that...they were awfully quick to throw a flag on the delay of game. Tho it didn't matter much given the timeout which in hindsight shouldn't have been called.

Valiant effort to come back in a tough game and it sucks to come so close...but really inexcusable not to let Frank have a go of it in the situation when he was gashing them towards the end there. Even on 3rd down Crabtree was real close to picking up a few more yards there before getting his helmet smacked and dropping it.

Gotta have a few more options in the redzone. Love Crabtree but I'm pretty sure the Ravens expected him to get the ball. Would've loved to see something to a guy like Garret Celek after having him sneak out out of the pistol.

Oh well :(
    Draft well and then coach em up!

Find the next Ronnie Lott & Justin Smith & Jerry Rice & Deion Sanders

Not sure why you were happy with the playcalling Ricky because from where I stood it was Greg Roman again failing in his ability to get us points in the red zone. This team consistently has no way to score through the air when they are down there. When the running game or Colin isn't able to run it in they bog down.

All I can hope is he improves in the offseason as he's clearly going to be back. But until this team can convert 3rd downs and red zone opportunities more consistently through the air they'll continue to finish up short.
    The only part I questioned was the final drive inside the 10 yard line, and that's pretty much it. The players must bear some of the responsibilities, so you can't simply just say 'Roman' everytime they don't convert. We just switched from a QB who constantly made his one read and then checked down to a guy who, even though he looks to be an electric player, was still making only his 10th start in his career. It's only glaring due to the final series, but it wasn't much of an issue against the Falcons or Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakic19 View Post
    I did acknowledge it. I said that we got whooped in the first half but then we turned it around and whopped Baltimore in the 2nd. We had 100 more yards. Averaged almost 3 yards per play more. We had one more turnover and gave up a bad kick return but despite that, we still were in a position to win and the refs screwed us.

That is what I was trying to say. All that stuff happened and was the reason we had to claw back but is is obvious that the refs had an agenda to follow. Some of those calls they let go, including a blatant hold on Miller on the kick return, were impossible to miss.

That's what makes me sick most about this loss. In the Giants game last year at least we can say we beat ourselves. If not for those two fumbles we would be in the Super Bowl. This time, I cant say we beat ourselves because we got ourselves in a position to win the game but were not allowed to from a poor non-call.

It's sickening to watch experienced guys like this agree.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-officiating/

The asterisk beside the Baltimore win and controversy over the multiple non-calls will NEVER go away. Ever. And it's a shame because it turned out to be a great game.

There will be multiple rule changes and changes to the way the refs call the game and we were on the short end of the stick. It's a sickening feeling.
    Asterik? Multiple rule changes?

OK...whatever.

To me the main reason why we lost is simple as this: Our Coaching Staff.

With this I am not sayin that we should change it or whatever, I really think this Staff is great and its the main reason in our rise from the black years of the past, but maybe not good enough for the big game ?

Harbaugh is brilliant coach and I am very happy that is our coach, 8 out of 10 he outcoach opponents,BUT...I dont like the way he acted after the game, blaming the loss to the refs... c'mon...IF the team was ready for the BIG game, we will never put ourself in that hole !!
    At the end, even with all thos "bad calls" by the refs we were in the position of win this game...and after the TD, Falcco could have or could have not marched for a FG...in the second half we make the Ravens go 3 and out a couple of times.

How can you blame the refs when in the last two playoff games you came out to play and fall behind to 17 or 26 points before start to play football ?
    Why it happen this ?
    What's the reason could be for that ?
    Anybody has an explanation how this could happen ?

First play of the game, penalty for illegal formation ? After two weeks of time to prepare in the smallest details this game ?
    This sound to me a Coaching staff problem more than a player kind of problem...

The same problem for the reason we didnt run in those 4 play of the SB was there at Atlanta...I remember very well seeing Gore going to Harbaugh and complaining quite loudly to give him the f&*%ing ball....
    Thats the biggest delusion for me....the Bill Walsh and George Seifert 49ers SB teams ALWAYS were well prepared for that game...I know that it could sound easy to say right now, but its the truth.
    Yes, there were Conference games that we lost to Giants, Vikings that were as terrible as this one, BUT in the biggest game Walsh & Seifert always were prepared for the game, the players came out focused and played right from the beginning...
    Walsh and Seifert were masters to know how employ the players at their best.
    It seem that Our present Coaching staff is not so good at knowing how to exploit the best of each player at the same time...

For bad that it could sound, I would have been less heartbreaked if the loss was due to a player error or bad game from a player...knowing the top brass is at the top of the game is much more reassuring in a defeat.
    If you start to doubt the (bad) choices of the Coaching Staff during a game, then next time you play the big game could be less optimistic about the results...

Dont know...I dont want to sound polemical...I am not, really...these are only the toughts that cross my mind after a couple of days from the game...

Its tough to look at the bright side right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Roma View Post
    The only part I questioned was the final drive inside the 10 yard line, and that's pretty much it. The players must bear some of the responsibilities, so you can't simply just say 'Roman' everytime they don't convert. We just switched from a QB who constantly made his one read and then checked down to a guy who, even though he looks to be an electric player, was still making only his 10th start in his career. It's only glaring due to the final series, but it wasn't much of an issue against the Falcons or Packers.
    It wasn't an issue against those guys because the running game was working. When the running game isn't dominating in the red zone he doesn't have a big bag of tricks to get guys open. As I said earlier, when was the last time you remember a 9er receiver catching a ball in the back of the endzone? Everything is throw it short and hope our guys make plays.

For 2 years this team has been consistently poor on 3rd downs and in the red zone. 2 years is a pretty damn big sample size.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

It wasn't an issue against those guys because the running game was working. When the running game isn't dominating in the red zone he doesn't have a big bag of tricks to get guys open. As I said earlier, when was the last time you remember a 9er receiver catching a ball in the back of the endzone? Everything is throw it short and hope our guys make plays.

For 2 years this team has been consistently poor on 3rd downs and in the red zone. 2 years is a pretty damn big sample size.
    Did our percentages not go way up on 3rd downs and in the red zone with Kaepernick at QB?
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

"If a person has an imaginary friend they call him crazy but if a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend they call it religion"

-My two favourite teams are the SF 49ers and whoever is playing the Seahawks.

Did our percentages not go way up on 3rd downs and in the red zone with Kaepernick at QB?
    Yes it did but this is his 10th career start. Coaches need to help the guys out. Going to Crabtree 3 times in a row isn't exactly getting very creative. You know the Ravens are going to have two guys on him at all times. There should've been some kind of playcall that gets a guy open that nobody would really care about...I think I mentioned Celek before.

Seattle does a great job of calling pass plays near the goalline. Even in the game against us. Anthony McCoy, 1 catch, 1 TD. Lynch had a TD. And they use Michael Robinson in the passing game too. Yes you want the ball in your best player's hands but sometimes you have to get other guys involved because everyone in the stadium knows you're going to one guy.

Frustrating to say the least...
    Draft well and then coach em up!

Find the next Ronnie Lott & Justin Smith & Jerry Rice & Deion Sanders

3rd downs they did because he can scramble so well, not because of anything Roman did.

Believe the red zone ones went down actually. Kaep was just much better at creating explosive offensive plays that turned into td's instead of fg's from outside the red zone.

If this team can just get to middle of the pack on 3rd downs and in the red zone they will be exceedingly difficult to stop. That should be what Roman works on all offseason.
    Last edited by 9ERS4EVA; 02-06-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genus49 View Post
    Yes it did but this is his 10th career start. Coaches need to help the guys out. Going to Crabtree 3 times in a row isn't exactly getting very creative. You know the Ravens are going to have two guys on him at all times. There should've been some kind of playcall that gets a guy open that nobody would really care about...I think I mentioned Celek before.

Seattle does a great job of calling pass plays near the goalline. Even in the game against us. Anthony McCoy, 1 catch, 1 TD. Lynch had a TD. And they use Michael Robinson in the passing game too. Yes you want the ball in your best player's hands but sometimes you have to get other guys involved because everyone in the stadium knows you're going to one guy.

Frustrating to say the least...
    It pains me to say this but on the 2nd down after the LeMichael run....Delanie was wide open in the left corner of the endzone. It was the play where Crabtree was stopped short on the 2 on the crossing pattern. Kaepernick just didn't see Walker. There are links out there which show the whole playcall. Delanie couldn't have been more wide open.

I have come to the conclusion that even if we would have scored, I am fairly confident that Flacco would have marched down the field against our secondary and banged up pass rushers to get a FG. At least that is what I am telling myself to ease the pain!!
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

"If a person has an imaginary friend they call him crazy but if a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend they call it religion"

-My two favourite teams are the SF 49ers and whoever is playing the Seahawks.

It pains me to say this but on the 2nd down after the LeMichael run....Delanie was wide open in the left corner of the endzone. It was the play where Crabtree was stopped short on the 2 on the crossing pattern. Kaepernick just didn't see Walker. There are links out there which show the whole playcall. Delanie couldn't have been more wide open.

I have come to the conclusion that even if we would have scored, I am fairly confident that Flacco would have marched down the field against our secondary and banged up pass rushers to get a FG. At least that is what I am telling myself to ease the pain!!
    Every QB in every game leaves/misses some oppertunities on the field. The Niners came up a little short at the very end. I'm sure Falcon fans felt the same way when the Niners forced a 4 and out so close to the endzone. The Niners needed more than 6 points for the 1st half. Especialy when they gave up 3 td's.

I remember at the 2 minute mark leaning over and telling my brother the obvious." After all that, it's coming down to being a 2 minute game". A lot of that thanks to Kaep

I don't know if it's Roman or Kaep but, you have to throw the rock into the endzone and in the field of play those last two plays of the game
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast