Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    So Wayne LaPierre is going to testify before the Senate today. He has already released his prepared statement. And it pretty much is exactly what we should expect...

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...mony-to-senate

In addition, we need to enforce the thousands of gun laws that are currently on the books. Prosecuting criminals who misuse firearms works. Unfortunately, we’ve seen a dramatic collapse in federal gun prosecutions in recent years. Overall in 2011, federal weapons prosecutions per capita were down 35 percent from their peak in the previous administration.[3] That means violent felons, gang members and the mentally ill who possess firearms are not being prosecuted. And that’s unacceptable.
    Gee, Wayne, perhaps if you hadn't been so focused on eviscerating Federal gun law enforcement, we wouldn't see such a dramatic drop in Federal convictions. Let's remember, Wayne, it's been six years since we've had an ATF director. Yes that includes 2 years under a Republican President.

And when it comes to the issue of background checks, let’s be honest – background checks will never be “universal” – because criminals will never submit to them.
    This pretty much speaks to his entire agenda. There is no reason to do anything because criminals will always circumvent laws. Right, Wayne, maybe we should just eliminate ALL criminal law since it doesn't do anything.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

I hope some Senators query him on some of the specific neutering of the enforcement of specific gun laws and how the NRA will score legislators on the restoration of those enforcements.

He can sing and dance a good game about enforcing our existing gun laws. But I want to hear him on record about specifics about how the NRA will treat legislators who try to fix the problems with these laws.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

So Wayne LaPierre is now fighting against expanding background checks, despite arguing in favor of them in 1999.

91% of Americans support universal background checks. Wayne LaPierre, worried that it may reduce gun sales, doesn't care and instead fights against even modest sensible proposals.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Wayne LaPierre got his ass handed to him by Chris Wallace! When Fox starts calling you out*, Wayne, maybe it's time for you to rethink your actions.

*- I realize that Chris Wallace is a pretty good journalist and doesn't toe the line the same way many others in the organization do.

Edit:Screw you, Seafan. :)
    Last edited by flyerhawk; 02-04-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    *- I realize that Chris Wallace is a pretty journalist and doesn't toe the line the same way many others in the organization do.
    That's an interesting way to come out of the closet flyer!

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    Maybe that's because he's an idiot?

I keep posting that quote which says Kleck estimated the number of people wounded or killed in self-defense via gun to be 2X the TOTAL number of people wounded or killed by guns.
    He's one of the most accomplished criminologists alive today.

I get that you don't like him because you don't like the results of his research, but name calling doesn't change the fact that he's among the most well respected people in his field in the country.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Davekn View Post
    In addition we are talking about children. Lots of them. How many horrific stories have we read where Billy got a hold of dad's gun and shot Timmy? And in the vast majority of those cases dad was an avid gun guy who knew about gun safety.
    I'm pretty sure this is not true, Dave.

I believe most accidental gun injuries happen in urban areas with high crime where hunting and traditional gun safety culture are not taught.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Gee, Wayne, perhaps if you hadn't been so focused on eviscerating Federal gun law enforcement, we wouldn't see such a dramatic drop in Federal convictions. Let's remember, Wayne, it's been six years since we've had an ATF director. Yes that includes 2 years under a Republican President.
    I liked Jon Stewarts piece on this a few weeks ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2495301.html

This is simply incredible..

Wayne LaPierre had another Op/Ed yesterday. All I can say is...... Oh. My. God.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/13/stand-and-fight/

After Hurricane Sandy, we saw the hellish world that the gun prohibitionists see as their utopia. Looters ran wild in south Brooklyn. There was no food, water or electricity. And if you wanted to walk several miles to get supplies, you better get back before dark, or you might not get home at all.
    OK...

Hurricanes. Tornadoes. Riots. Terrorists. Gangs. Lone criminals. These are perils we are sure to face—not just maybe. It’s not paranoia to buy a gun. It’s survival. It’s responsible behavior, and it’s time we encourage law-abiding Americans to do just that.
    WTF?

Responsible Americans realize that the world as we know it has changed. We, the American people, clearly see the daunting forces we will undoubtedly face: terrorists, crime, drug gangs, the possibility of Euro-style debt riots, civil unrest or natural disaster.
    Wow.

We will not surrender. We will not appease. We will buy more guns than ever. We will use them for sport and lawful self-defense more than ever. We will grow the NRA more than ever. And we will be prouder than ever to be freedom-loving NRA patriots. And with your help, we will ensure that the Second Amendment remains America’s First Freedom.
    And LaPierre's obvious agenda comes out.

I think Lapierre hears Churchill in his own head when he speaks.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

So are we so sick of gun threads that nobody is talking about the Blade Runner shooting? Again another tragedy resulting from a gun in the house no matter which story you believe.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...th-murder?lite

Old Wayne has to consider any step back as a step back in his own power. Can't have that.

By watching spokemen for smaller and more radical gun orgs. I have to wonder if Wayne hasn't become much like a GOPer congress critter. Afraid of a challenger that's much more of a "true believer "
    Last edited by Grimjack; 02-14-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

If his supermodel girlfriend was armed, this might not have happened.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Odd that the NRA defenders are pretty mum these days. LaPierre gets crazier and crazier and they just sit blithely by.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast