Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Let me just say I despise the NRA with every ounce of my body. Worthless organization. And I like guns and own a couple myself.

When I was a kid back in the 60's they seemed like a decent operation, but they are far from that now.

Quote Originally Posted by ForWhoForWhat? View Post
    And thus a reasonable organization went to the sh!tter.
    I know they get bad press but I just don't consider them to be an organization that had gone down the ****ter. I think they have faults due to their fanatical dedication to their primary cause, just like the ACLU.

I fault the NRA for advocating for legislation that keeps helps to keep our society ignorant of matters regarding crime and guns. I think it's a failure of theirs but I don't think it's enough to render their organization useless.

I feel the same way about the ACLU's decision long ago to, for whatever reason, not advocate for my second amendment rights. Overall I think they are a feather in our cap, but specifically I find it disappointing that they only fight for some of my civil liberties.

Or something.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    What a scummy advertisement.
    I think they certainly could have re-chanted the hypocrisy mantra without involving the Presidents kids.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

So for about the past 5 or so years I have felt that I have been banging my head against a wall when it comes to gun laws. It wasn't that I believed that the laws had to be dramatically tightened. Heck I wasn't even sured that they had to be tightened at all.

But I am simply stunned by how toothless the ATF and other Federal law enforcement agencies are in stopping illegal gun trafficking. And they are toothless because the SAME PEOPLE demanding that they enforce the laws, pushed to eviscerate these agencies.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by The Cryin Lion View Post
    I think they certainly could have re-chanted the hypocrisy mantra without involving the Presidents kids.
    We either accept a basic standard of decency or we don't.

It's disgusting. It's the same mindset that allowed Rush Limbaugh to call a 16 year old Chelsea Clinton a pig. Until you demand better, we will always have this crap.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Isn't ironic that the President signed the 23 executive orders with a stage full of kids nearby?

When not one of those EO's would protect them at school anymore than what's already on the books.

Demand better indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Swords View Post
    Isn't ironic that the President signed the 23 executive orders with a stage full of kids nearby?

When not one of those EO's would protect them at school anymore than what's already on the books.

Demand better indeed.
    What do you propose? It seems clear that you don't like making the current rules more efficient, since that was what his EOs attempted to do today, so tell us what you would have liked the President to propose.

EDIT: FTR, Obama's EOs are pretty much all NRA approved proposals. Yet the fact that he fell in line with the NRA is obviously not enough to placate the gun rights crowd.

It's almost like it doesn't matter what he does, you will oppose him.
    Last edited by flyerhawk; 01-17-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davekn View Post
    You're right, I did skip over your post. Still doesn't change my position. I am supposed to believe that we are all going to be ok with a tax increase to support such a stupid idea? In this economy where they are extending tax cuts to help people save their houses and pump up the economy?

Sorry, don't mean to be so aggressive. You seem like a good guy. But his entire idea is just crazy in so many ways.
    I'm about as mildly supportive of it as once could be, for the sole reason that we're still teetering in a bad economy and -- by some strange miracle -- those who have been completely recalcitrant in investing our way out of it until we're on more level ground suddenly want to create jobs.

Consider it a public works project without any of the actual "works." I'd rather these people be employed fixing roadways and bridges or laying high speed rail track (or whatever), but if what it takes is putting them in a costume store cop uniform down by the music room, so be it.

There's just under 100,000 public schools in the U.S. (98,700) and usually around 3-6 deaths from school shootings in K-12 public schools per year (save for rare events like Newtown -- going off the wiki list for the US school shooting in the 2Ks and 90s), so if we want to pay 999,995 people a year to spend nine months sticking their fingers in their @ss and trying to f^ck high school chicks, I guess that's better than nothing.
    Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.

What do you propose? It seems clear that you don't like making the current rules more efficient, since that was what his EOs attempted to do today, so tell us what you would have liked the President to propose.

EDIT: FTR, Obama's EOs are pretty much all NRA approved proposals. Yet the fact that he fell in line with the NRA is obviously not enough to placate the gun rights crowd.

I just pointed out that he was using kids as a backdrop to his signing.... and nothing in his signings will protect them at schools. Do you disagree or do you favor him using them as props?

I'm not big on the NRA. I support local gun rights efforts. The NRA much like any other nationwide union orginization has drifted away from it's members many moons ago.

as for what I propose well let's have it shall we......

short term, immediate action to curtail school shootingsI propose allowing people/teachers to arm themselves if they choose. Provide training etc,.... Some may scoof at the idea but.... it .... will ..... work.

intermediate term, may take some time but the dividens will pay off Educate the public. Much like Sweden. We give drivers ED classes but no classes elective or otherwise on firearms . That's a shame.

Long term and probably the most important Culture. I would look to temper the culture of America through films, shows, campaigns etc,... TV can't advertise cigarettes but they can show firefights throughout movies and tv shows? something is wrong there, no? It was beyond stupid when actors and actresses claimed that we needed to stop and allow further gun control legislature but yet all of them were in movies and shows blasting up the screen. I can dig up the you tube but I'm sure we all have seen it. Media plays a HUGE role in Americans lives and they need to clean it up.

Any person in a physicians care that commits violent crimes the physician shall be held responsible for that persons crime in one form or another. Maybe a bit too harsh but since they are under their care they should be held accountable in the intrest of public safety.

I just put these together on the cuff, I'm sure I can come up with more but you probably wont like them either.
    Kyra Gracie

"Betrayal is the only truth that sticks." - Dan Black

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” - Helen Keller

I could not more vehemently disagree with your use of "It's almost like" in this sentence. I suggest you strike them completely. ;)
    Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner View Post
    Detail it. Why is it such a stupid idea? Is it your opinion that police officers present on site have no benefit to stopping an active shooter situation or are you saying that the reward isn't worth the cost? I'm trying to understand what is stupid about it.
    It's not financially possible, just that simple. Tax increases have been a huge issue in this country for a reason. People can not afford them and they will stiffle a very fragile economy. This is a panic idea in a rush to find a soluton but it's just not realistic.

Either you take hundreds of thousands of police officers off the streets or you rush out to hire them and end up with mall cops with guns. And again one armed officer (or mall cop) is no guarantee to stop a crazy armed with an AK 47 and the element of suprise. So we could invest in this project and children could still die.

Just not a realistic solution.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 01-17-2013 at 12:49 PM.

So Popeye... are you saying that you don't believe it's a big enough problem to justify the cost then? Not putting words in your mouth, I'm asking.

And Dave... your contention is that raising taxes or diverting money from other less important areas is not possible. Correct?

Almost?
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Swords View Post
    I just pointed out that he was using kids as a backdrop to his signing.... and nothing in his signings will protect them at schools. Do you disagree or do you favor him using them as props?
    Well you don't really know that, do you? While nothing he would EVER propose could possibly 100% protect them, many of the things he did propose could help reduce the risk.

I'm not big on the NRA. I support local gun rights efforts. The NRA much like any other nationwide union orginization has drifted away from it's members many moons ago.
    Well we agree on this.

short term, immediate action to curtail school shootingsI propose allowing people/teachers to arm themselves if they choose. Provide training etc,.... Some may scoof at the idea but.... it .... will ..... work.

intermediate term, may take some time but the dividens will pay off Educate the public. Much like Sweden. We give drivers ED classes but no classes elective or otherwise on firearms . That's a shame.
    Mandatory training? I really question the wisdom of allowing teachers to carry firearms. Every teacher I know vehemently opposes the idea.

Long term and probably the most important Culture. I would look to temper the culture of America through films, shows, campaigns etc,... TV can't advertise cigarettes but they can show firefights throughout movies and tv shows? something is wrong there, no? It was beyond stupid when actors and actresses claimed that we needed to stop and allow further gun control legislature but yet all of them were in movies and shows blasting up the screen. I can dig up the you tube but I'm sure we all have seen it. Media plays a HUGE role in Americans lives and they need to clean it up.
    It's always easy to blame Hollywood for providing what the American public wants. It's especially easy for conservatives because it exonerates their involvement in promoting the violence in our society.

Any person in a physicians care that commits violent crimes the physician shall be held responsible for that persons crime in one form or another. Maybe a bit too harsh but since they are under their care they should be held accountable in the intrest of public safety.

I just put these together on the cuff, I'm sure I can come up with more but you probably wont like them either.
    That isn't reasonable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Davekn View Post

Just not a realistic solution.
    They KNOW this. :) It's like someone arguing that they don't care if gays get married SO LONG as we dump the word marriage for everybody, and replace it with 'social contract' or whatever.

They KNOW that ain't happening. So they get to point to it, and crow about how enlightened they are, how solution oriented, when they know damned well it isn't happening.

Or to use an example from the other 'side,' when Jim talks about how we should do away with universal voting, like he's being all contrarian against liberal ideas. He KNOWS that isn't happening.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast