Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    The problem is that it would be hideously expensive. We are talking 100,000 security personnel. All trained to use a firearm. All meeting fairly stringent competency checks. You are talking tens of billions of dollars. The truth is any sort of solution would need to be local. Many schools already have security personnel.
    The money would be local. The edict to require it could be federal.

My kids school is spending an ungodly amount of money renovating their building this year and updating the playing surface and stands of their football stadium. An airlock entrance would be cheaper than a football stadium. So why are we looking at the football field and not better security? We would have to include two police officers in their staff budget. I think this money could be found without much strain on individual tax payers.

When you look at the entire bill it's astronomical. When you break it down per locality it's more reasonable.

Sure. But shouldn't that really be up to the municipality?

The concern I would have is that if the Federal government imposes it and some school system hires a psycho unknowingly who winds up shooting people, all of the sudden the Federal government overstepped its authority which lead to needless deaths and Cheezypoof is posting videos of Nazi Germany again.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Sure. But shouldn't that really be up to the municipality?

The concern I would have is that if the Federal government imposes it and some school system hires a psycho unknowingly who winds up shooting people, all of the sudden the Federal government overstepped its authority which lead to needless deaths and Cheezypoof is posting videos of Nazi Germany again.
    Does the school receive federal funding? Maybe it would just be a recommendation by the federal government or maybe funding would be contingent on compliance?

I get the concern of some psycho being hired and a lot of the "two cop" idea would be to help prevent that. But if you're so worried about cops going nuts and killing kids maybe we should be talking about not allowing police officers in schools then?

I'm not really worried about cops. Cops go through extensive training and you rarely hear about cops going cookoo, although it does happen.

I'm more concerned that the typical security guy would be more like a TSA employee than a cop.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

I'm not really worried about cops. Cops go through extensive training and you rarely hear about cops going cookoo, although it does happen.

I'm more concerned that the typical security guy would be more like a TSA employee than a cop.
    I'm talking about cops though. Not the rental kind either. They would be part of the police force and stationed at the school. Might be a revolving type detail if that would be better, I'm not sure.

So technically the tax money would go to the police department for this. Not the school's budget for staffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner View Post
    So technically the tax money would go to the police department for this. Not the school's budget for staffing.
    Local municipalities are always strapped for money, especially now. Most all are making cuts. Your kid's school aside there is no way you will convince us that local municipalities are so flush with the cash that would able to fund the incredible budget that would be necessary to put a unifomed police officer in every single public school.

I'm kind of disappointed that this needed to be explained to you.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 01-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davekn View Post
    Local municipalities are always strapped for money, especially now. Most all are making cuts. So they obviously do not have the funds that would be necessary to put a unifomed police officer in every single public school.

I'm kind of disappointed that this needed to be explained to you.
    I'm kind of disappointed in your reading abilities. I'm saying raise taxes. And I've already stated that MY locality is so strapped for money that they are remodeling the school and football stadium. Much like the president, security for the school is an afterthought for them though.

I'm kind of disappointed in your reading abilities. I'm saying raise taxes. And I've already stated that MY locality is so strapped for money that they are remodeling the school and football stadium. Much like the president, security for the school is an afterthought for them though.
    Maybe you should go to a school board meeting and hit them with your 'won't someone think of the chilluns!' line? :)
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Maybe you should go to a school board meeting and hit them with your 'won't someone think of the chilluns!' line? :)
    I plan on it. The next one is two weeks out.

But really, nobody really wants to talk about it. It's a waste of time.

I plan on it. The next one is two weeks out.

But really, nobody really wants to talk about it. It's a waste of time.
    Maybe take some handdog kids with you, and deliver the line surrounded by them. Take a page from Obama! :)
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Maybe take some handdog kids with you, and deliver the line surrounded by them. Take a page from Obama! :)
    That is a FANTASTIC idea.

You're right, I did skip over your post. Still doesn't change my position. I am supposed to believe that we are all going to be ok with a tax increase to support such a stupid idea? In this economy where they are extending tax cuts to help people save their houses and pump up the economy?

Sorry, don't mean to be so aggressive. You seem like a good guy. But his entire idea is just crazy in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Davekn View Post
    I am supposed to believe that we are all going to be ok with a tax increase to support such a stupid idea?
    Detail it. Why is it such a stupid idea? Is it your opinion that police officers present on site have no benefit to stopping an active shooter situation or are you saying that the reward isn't worth the cost? I'm trying to understand what is stupid about it.

So the NRA released a shooting game for the iPhone over the weekend. The game is supposedly suitable for ages 4 and above.

Stay classy NRA..

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...74.html?hp=l19

NRA: Practice Range, a new iTunes app released Sunday by the nation’s largest gun-industry lobby, offers users a shooting-practice feature, tips on safety training and a state-by-state gun law database.

The free app dispenses standard gun safety mantras before the user can begin to shoot: "Use only the correct ammunition for your gun;” “Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting;" "Know your target and what is beyond it."

It costs 99 cents to upgrade your firearm from a free M9 to a Beretta, a Browning or a Colt — and it offers indoor, outdoor and skeet shooting modes.

According to the iTunes ratings system, the app is appropriate for users who are at least 4 years old because it contains "no objectionable material." The ratings also include thresholds for 9-, 12- and 17-year-olds.

It's an APP. How many 4 year olds have an iphone or itouch? Besides the fact that the 4 year old age is from itunes not the NRA. So not sure where your "stay classy NRA" fauxoutrage comes from.

For being anti-gun you sure do have a hair-trigger

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast