Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

When the NRA went to Sh#t

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z1
    The turmoil of the 1960s — assassinations, street violence, riots — spurred Congress to pass the Gun Control Act of 1968, the first major piece of gun legislation since the New Deal. Supporters of gun control originally included California Gov. Ronald Reagan, who worried about the heavily armed Black Panthers.

The NRA didn’t like the 1968 law, viewing it as overly restrictive, but also didn’t see it as a slide toward tyranny. The top NRA officer, Franklin Orth, wrote in the association’s publication American Rifleman that “the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with.”

The key word: “sportsmen.”

In 1972, a new federal agency charged with enforcing the gun laws came into being: the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). Lawmakers raged against the terror of cheap handguns known as Saturday-night specials.

It was in that environment that Neal Knox rose to prominence.

Clifford Neal Knox — born in Oklahoma, raised in Texas, a graduate of Abilene Christian College — started out as a newspaper reporter and editor before founding, at the age of 30, Gun Week magazine.

He wanted to roll back gun laws, even the ones that restricted the sale of machine guns. He believed that gun-control laws threatened basic American freedoms, that there were malign forces that sought nothing less than total disarmament. There would come a point when Knox would suggest that the assassinations of the 1960s and other horrors might have been part of a gun-control plot: “Is it possible that some of those incidents could have been created for the purpose of disarming the people of the free world? With drugs and evil intent, it’s possible. Rampant paranoia on my part? Maybe. But there have been far too many coincidences to ignore” (Shotgun News, 1994).
    And thus a reasonable organization went to the sh!tter.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Hard to believe they'd stoop this low. Nothing like putting young girls on the spot. wow.

I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

What a scummy advertisement.

Maybe we should put secret service guards in every school. That's sounds like a great idea!
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

So the NRA released a shooting game for the iPhone over the weekend. The game is supposedly suitable for ages 4 and above.

Stay classy NRA..

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...74.html?hp=l19
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

if the NRA isokay with writing basically a blank check to ensure that all public schools are on par with the most elite private schools in all particulars, they may be the most liberal organization out there.
    I don't have a signature. You're imagining reading this right now. You should really see a mental health professional about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinsDevil View Post
    if the NRA isokay with writing basically a blank check to ensure that all public schools are on par with the most elite private schools in all particulars, they may be the most liberal organization out there.
    They want the Federal government to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Hard to believe they'd stoop this low. Nothing like putting young girls on the spot. wow.

Heh. It's the absolute truth.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    So the NRA released a shooting game for the iPhone over the weekend. The game is supposedly suitable for ages 4 and above.

Stay classy NRA..

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...74.html?hp=l19
    Yeah. Awful that they would want to teach kids safety with guns.

They just showed the video on Morning Joe. Scarborough is absolutely disgusted.

The NRA is going to lose the moderate Republicans because they continue to push a more and more radical view.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner View Post
    Wow. It's the absolute truth that the children of the President of the United States has personal security guards while everyone else's children does not? Yeah, no kidding. Again, are you advocating that we put Secret Service security personnel in every school?

I tend to view you as a pretty reasonable guy, BB. But this is not a shining example of it.

Is the game teaching gun safety at all? Or is it just a shooting game for accuracy?

Regardless, 4 years old is much to young to teach kids safety with guns, rather than about them. Especially with a video game.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Or, does BB advocate removing the armed security guards from the US Presidents children?
    Does that seem like a good idea? Are they not inordinately targeted for their relation to the President?
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Wow. It's the absolute truth that the children of the President of the United States has personal security guards while everyone else's children does not? Yeah, no kidding. Again, are you advocating that we put Secret Service security personnel in every school?

I tend to view you as a pretty reasonable guy, BB. But this is not a shining example of it.
    Sorry to disappoint. You should get used to it though, it's kind of "my thing".

I get that the President's daughter's need more security than mine do. I'm not an idiot. But the benefits of security translate to other people's kids as well, not just the Presidents. They want guns for their protection and laws for ours. That's not a catch phrase man, that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner View Post
    That a pro gun organization should use innocent teen and preteen girls in it's hideous video ads? That's true?

What have they done to deserve this scrutiny? I don't care what kind of security you have, some deranged person might take after them after seeing an ad.

Of course, it's your right to support this organizations methods if you want.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    Is the game teaching gun safety at all? Or is it just a shooting game for accuracy?

Regardless, 4 years old is much to young to teach kids safety with guns, rather than about them. Especially with a video game.
    I thought that's what the link said. I skimmed over it. Four years old is about the time you would want to start teaching your kids about gun safety regardless of if you have one in the home or not. I think an app is a great idea. I use apps to teach my kids a lot of things. I have three "telling time" apps on my phone right now and a multiplication app as well.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast