Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

2013 NFL Draft Thread

The season is over. We've had a day to let it sink in, and now the is an offseason of moves awaiting us, starting with our current coaching staff. Still, as long as Carroll and Schneider are here, we'll have the long term personnel and scheme stability this team needs to take the next step, and after three years we're starting to get a feel for what they are looking for.

Pete more than hinted that they will continue to address the pass rush with multiple players being added. We also need to look at potential key losses at CB and OLB and grades along the OL and at WR. We are picking 25th overall.

All that being said, here are some preliminary college players I will be keeping an eye on during the offseason events:

DL
    DT Sheldon Richardson - my current fav
    DT Shariff Floyd
    DE Alex Okafor - strong all around DE
    DE Ezekial Ansah - raw as dirt, but extremely athletic and has only played two years of football. Screams John Schneider.

CB
    Xavier Rhodes - the only first round grade press corner. BIG. BIG. BIG and physical.
    David Amerson - another big corner with HS background at safety, but has played zone almost entirely in his scheme. Can he transition to man?

OL
    OG Chance Warmack
    OG/C Barrett Jones - versatile and technically flawless, Jones started one season each at RG, LT and C and played each extremely well. Not a mauler, but excellent in pass pro and blocking at the second level.

WR
    Corderelle Patterson - raw JUCO transfer is long, lean, and fast. Huge upside
    Robert Woods - the opposite of Patterson. Polished and experienced and what you see is what you get. A Tim Ruskell pick IMO.
    Deandre Hopkins
    Terrance Willaims
    Justin Hunter
    Da'rick Rogers. - off field concerns will keep him off some teams boards entirely, but the kid is a beast. Love him in the 2nd round.

In the first, I'd rank my current favs as . . .

DT Richardson
    OL Jones
    WR Patterson
    CB Rhodes
    DE Ansah

I would love to have Terrance Williams with our first round pick at 1:26... The guy is big and can definitely stretch the field, which is something we need badly... I don't want to take a chance with Patterson because I think he has a long learning curve, pretty raw... Reminds me of that Wr the Chiefs drafted a two years ago...

Not sure Richardson would be there when we pick... I'd love to have that guy too...

I hope we can package Flynn this year with one of our draft picks to move up... Flynn's best value to the team right now imo is trade bait...

This is a very rare moment, I completely agree with AO on the entire post.

I'll keep an eye on Williams . . .

So looking forward to this draft. Carroll mentioned in his season closing presser that he's hoping to find a QB with Wilson's mobility type. Curious who they target there.
    Last edited by Freezer Weasel; 01-15-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

I want whoever Schnider likes.

The end.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...hawks-thoughts

I don't give Kiper much thought other than day dreaming about the effects of lighter meeting hairspray but I thought I'd post this one. On the one hand I don't care for it since Mebane is our NT, then I kinda wondered. If this kid is a stud NT then we could move Mebane over to 3-tech, can he be effective in the role?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by HawksFanNorth View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...hawks-thoughts

I don't give Kiper much thought other than day dreaming about the effects of lighter meeting hairspray but I thought I'd post this one. On the one hand I don't care for it since Mebane is our NT, then I kinda wondered. If this kid is a stud NT then we could move Mebane over to 3-tech, can he be effective in the role?

Thoughts?
    Mebane's been tried at 3-tech. Either Holmgren's last year or under Mora. It didn't really work.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

That's been tried and Mebane wasn't that effective as a 3 tech. In this JS has a pretty good eye and Pete knows what he needs. I suspect the team will make at one move either in the draft or in FA to address the interior DLine as they have 3 FAs (Jones, Branch, and McDonald-RFA).

Who knows though as Mebane didn't have a lot of help when tried as a 3 tech. Having a big beast beside him absorbing multiple blockers would help anyone.
    Last edited by jammer; 01-16-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

Realistic guys I'm keeping an eye on at 1.25 are:

Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
    DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    Tavon Austin, WR, WVU

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHawks View Post
    Realistic guys I'm keeping an eye on at 1.25 are:

Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
    DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    Tavon Austin, WR, WVU
    Really like the last 3 there. Ansah, Hopkins or Austin could be a huge add IMO. Haven't seen enough of Hunt. Will have to check him out.
    Last edited by Freezer Weasel; 01-16-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    I want whoever Schnider likes.

The end.
    This. I don't know nearly enough about college ball to provide anything interesting to say and honestly, given how badass our drafts have been on the whole over the past 3 years, in Schneider I trust.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Nothing wrong with doing a bit of reading to get an idea of who is who.
    Seattle Seahawks, winners of SuperBowl XLVIII, what an amazing season!

Sure. Just seems to me that they don't really draft in a way in which draft guides are particularly helpful unless you study EVERYONE.

You just never know where they will draft which player.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast