Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Davekn View Post
    Let's not pretend he is unique here in taking the biggest offer from a bad team.

I have no idea what it will take but this is a priority IMO. They got blind lucky with the lack of injuries last year. And they simply must replace Polumbus in the starting lineup. I"'m thinking they have a lot of cap space after this offseason so maybe a long term deal with a big bonus will get it done?
    Didn't say he was unique, just that he won't be coming here. Gone for now are the days we could land anyone we wanted by over paying. On some level the penalty has forced us to learn how to find value. Apparently we're looking at Pashos but not clear what role - starting RT or depth guy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...t-tony-pashos/

Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    Didn't say he was unique, just that he won't be coming here. Gone for now are the days we could land anyone we wanted by over paying. On some level the penalty has forced us to learn how to find value. Apparently we're looking at Pashos but not clear what role - starting RT or depth guy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...t-tony-pashos/
    God I hope this is strictly to replace Black as the backup.

Word is D Hall is going to be released. This simply must happen. They re-worked his deal, and got in cap hell as a result, just so they could do this. There are plenty of better CBs on the free agent market this offseason.

Moss has to be next. Loved the guy but it's time.

Watch for the restructures or cuts to be Carriker, Hall, Moss & Chris Chester over the next 3 days.

Word is they are in on Antoine Cason & Greg Toler for the CB spot.

I'm usually not a big fan of restructures for obvious reasons. But the cap penalties have put us in a unique situation this year and I'd be ok with punting money down the road in certain instances such as Carriker and maybe Chester because they are in the long term plans I would think. Moss? I want him either cut or his pay reduced, that's it.

Sounds like Hall is gonna get cut!!! which shouldn't come to a surprise to any of us... The guy has ALWAYS over rated himself... The can be a superstar one minute and a complete bum the next. For me he has always been a "me" kind of guy... There were times when I thought he was finally getting it, but then he would say or do something stupid... But the bottom line is that he doesn't excel in all games, he seems to have one good game and one bad game... Personally I would like for the Redskins to show him the door, it's time!!!!

Bring me a guy like Toler and I think the skins have improved at the CB position.

Rob Jackson is close to signing a one year deal...

Paulsen and Young signed 3 year deals, Rob Jackson signed a 1 year deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...one-year-deal/

Redskins to sign Lichtensteiger to a 5 year deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-on-new-deal/
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it" @ Daniel Snyder

In a surprising move the Chargers put the lowest possible tender on WR Danario Alexander and so they would receive no compensation if he signs somewhere else. He had knee issues but is still young with huge size. He was one of the bright spot for the Chargers last year and could be the steal of this free agency. I hope we could land him.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it" @ Daniel Snyder

No real surprise that Lich, Paulson and Young signed. Good to see Rob Jackson get a new deal, one year probably works for the team as they now have another year to evaluate Jackson and Rak and make a decision next offseason when both deals are up.

Like the Alexander idea. And a new corner for sure.

Today we'll start to see the cuts/restructures. Cutting Carriker/Hall/Moss/Chester would save roughly 20.8 on the cap. Restructures would probably save upwards of 12-14M. They've already spent some of that. Won't be much left over for new contracts.

Should be an interesting 48 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    Paulsen and Young signed 3 year deals, Rob Jackson signed a 1 year deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...one-year-deal/
    Btw, per Comcast last night, those 3 year deals are averaging slightly over 2 mil per year, so Paulsen and Young are getting paid. I like them both, but I'm surprised they're getting that much. With Jackson, he's going to be a UFA next year, so he's going to be playing for a contract - so his season will determine whether or not he and his family (and his family's future families) will be set for life - he'll be somewhat motivated. :)

He had some bright moments last year, but I am happy to hear DHall will likely get cut. Still, the Skins need to add depth, keep Cedric Griffin, and pray that he, Josh Wilson, and Richard Crawford stay as healthy as Hall did as a Skin.
    I use stats like a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by jmuSkinsfan View Post
    Realistic Solutions:

Current Cap Space: $2.9 million

Release:
    Adam Carriker: $3.7 million
    London Fletcher: $4.0 million
    Total Saved: $7.7 million

Pay Cut:
    DeAngelo Hall: $5.0 million (from $8.2 to $3.0)
    Santana Moss: $3.0 million (from $6.1 to $3.1)
    Total Saved: $8.0 million

Re-Structured: (Per Rich Tandler's Calculations) - Increases salaries in 2014 and 2015 by $5 million
    Pierre Garcon: $3.893 million
    Barry Cofield: $2.745,000
    Christ Chester: $1.773,000
    Stephen Bowen: $2.140,000
    Total Saved: $10.101 million

Contract Extensions for Final Year Players:
    Josh Wilson: $2.1 million
    Brian Orakpo: $1.5 million
    Total Saved: $3.6 million

Total Under the Cap: 32.301 million

Re-Sign UFA/RFA (Against 2013 cap)
    Logan Paulson: $1.1 million
    Fred Davis: $3.0 million
    Rob Jackson: $2.0 million
    Lorenzo Alexander: $1.2 million
    Nick Sundfield: $0.7 million
    Bryan Kehl: $0.555 million
    Darrel Young: $1.5 million
    Total on UFA/RFA: 8.955 million

Money Reserved for Rookie Pool: $3.55 million

As an aside, here is some roster spot math:
    The Redskins have 19 players from last year's roster departing (as of now) via RFA and UFA. I propose that we retain the 7 above, bringing the number of roster holes to 12. I have us releasing Fletcher/Carriker, so that goes back up to 14. We currently have 7 draft picks, so you would assume that number goes back down to 7. I am proposing that we will sign four primary FA, so that falls once more to 3 roster spots needing to be filled. I am going to assume that those players will be around the vet. minimum for their age, but let's just place that number around $3.5 million to be safe.

Reserved for Roster Holes and Vet Minimums (4): $2.0 million

Remember, the salary cap only counts the top 51 contracts on a team ... so for this exercise, I'm only thinking about those 53 roster spots ... so don't worry about practice squad, etc.

So, to refresh ...
    Beginning Money to Spend: $32.301 million
    Spent on own UFA/RFA: $8.955 million
    Money Needed for Rookie Pool: $3.55 million
    Money Needed to fill out roster: $2.0 million
    Money Remaining for FOUR KEY Free Agents: $17.796 million

Remember, I accounted for the vet minimums to fill out the roster ... so this $16.796 million can be spent on four key players that we decide to bring in (last year's Brandon Meriweather, Pierre Garcon, Joshua Morgan and Cedric Griffin)

RT Eric Winston: 4 years, $19 million ($4.0 million in 2013)
    CB Antoine Cason: 5 years, $32 million ($5.5 million in 2013)
    FS Corey Lynch: 4 years, $12 million ($2.5 million in 2013)
    ILB Brad Jones: 3 years, $8 million ($2.0 million in 2013)

Total Spent toward 2013 Cap: $14 million

Money Left Over: $3.0 million

THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL ... BUT TO PROVE WHAT WE CAN DO.

Draft: SS, DE, SWR, RB, OG
    Great post, btw. My guess is that the difference between the 3 mil under vs 3 mil over is that they already made 6 mil of changes - perhaps changes suggested above, so I think you should assume that your plan really starts at 3 mil over the cap.
    I use stats like a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination.

Done deal?

From Adam Shefter:

The Washington Redskins are closing in on a deal that would bring former Buc and Patriot Aqib Talib to Washington with his former coach Raheem Morris. Of course nothing can be made official until Tuesday at 4 p.m. but sources tell me that Morris made a HUGE push to Bruce Allen and Coach Shanahan that he wants the troubled corner in his Secondary, and SIGNIFICANT progress has been made in getting a deal outlined. They must have gotten on the phone immediately at 12:01 this morning to beat other teams to the punch and made a convincing offer!

Make sense bc of the Morris connection... The guy is a good one if he can get his head on straight!!!

Wow I never even thought about Talib but that does make a lot of sense with the Moore connection. I thought the Pats made a great move when they got him so cheaply last year. As you said he has had issues but Hall for Talib would be a huge upgrade. I'm still holding out hope for Minifield even though I know it's a long shot.

Back to Ruz's post is that 2 mil per year per player or combined? No way you pay a fullback and a backup TE 2 mil per year.

Finally as I posted earlier I was never a huge fan of Carriker but I've changed my mind, they need help along the interior with the pass rush big time. He's no Jumpy Geathers but he is better than what we had last year. So I"m fine with a restructure there.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast