Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thoughts on the season and the future.

I know a lot of us are down now because of RG3's injury and how the playoff game ended. But it was a great ride this season that Griffin took us fans on. Almost or as exciting as the Get On The Band Wagon or All The Way To Tampa Bay rides. RG3 will be back, there is no dou't in my mind, he is young and works to hard not to be. The last time he had a knee problem he sat in a chair throwing as hard as he could and won a Heisman Trophy. He gets a chance to come back and be a even better QB, is what I believe and smarter about some things. So many things to be happy about this season. We found out we have other players like Morris that set a team rushing record. Kurt Cousins will fill in and get the job done if Robert is not ready. The defense came together and our kicker missed 1 field goal. There is still a lot of work to be done but, the future looks brighter then in a long time and with another good draft, maybe we take another step. You have to like the type players that are being drafted too. The Snyder bull sh-t is behind us now. NFC East Champs! Get ready for Superman II.

I'm feeling it! The Skins should be able to keep this momentum going into next year assuming RG3 comes back ready to rock and roll. Even if he isn't, I'm confident in Cousins for a little bit.

Offense looked really more efficient this year. It was obvious with RGIII but it was still true with Kirk Cousins against the Browns. Like I said after the Panthers game I believe this offense is close from being really dominant. I don't think Kyle Shanahan will leave for a HC job, at least not this year, so the offense has strong foundations heading into next season. We are set at QB, RB and LOT which is huge. I was pleased and surprised by the level of the OL. I think having a mobil QB like RGIII certainly help but overall they looked pretty good. LeRibeus looks promising. I have nothing against Tyler Polumbus but I'm looking for an upgrade at the ROT position. I'm not sold with that WR group, Garçon looked good when on the field but is he a true #1 ? Morgan is a good blocker but he's nothing special, Moss is not getting younger, Hankerson is too inconsistent and Robinson disappeared after the game at Dallas. At TE Logan Paulsen did the job but he looks more like a solid back-up. If Fred Davis doesn't come back we may have to find a top TE. Niles Paul has been a huge disappointement IMO with a lot of drops and missed opportunities to make plays.

On defense I have to give some serious props to Jim Haslett. I wanted his head by mid-season and I have to say he did an amazing job in that playoffs run, especially considering the players he had. The defense was not great by any means but at least they kept the team in every game they played. Young players like Richard Crawford gained some valuable experience and there's no doubt the return of guys like Orakpo, Carriker and meriweather will help the unit. I expected more from Jarvis Jenkins after his solid training camp last year and was a bit disappointed by Kerrigan. He suffered from the loss of Orakpo but still it doesn't explain why he was not a factor at all in several games this season, or against the Seahawks. Hall could be a cap casualty and Josh Wilson will be a FA next year. With the kind of offense this team could have they would just need a decent defense. I'm confident.

For the ST it looks like we fixed the kicking position which is HUGE ! Forbath will have to work on his kickoffs as he let too many returns opportunities for the opposing teams. Sav Rocca had one of his best year so he should be back.

So overall the future certainly looks bright for this team. A lot will depend of RGIII and his ability to come back healthy but like JB said we could be good with Cousins too.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it" @ Daniel Snyder

As noted above we are finally onto something, division Champs! Keep adding pieces through the draft and free agency. I'd like to see the coaching staff kept intact through year 5. There was talk of extending Shanny's contract in the off season, I'd wait a year. And Snyder needs to fix the field. Does anyone remember how Peterson hurt his knee, was he hit or field related? Get rid of Grossman and bring in another rookie QB and start grooming.
    I Still Blame JC for Gibbs Leaving..

When is the last time we go into a 4th season of the same offense and defense philosophy? The stability has got to help. Haslett turned it around for me, I no longer want him fired and it does not sound like he will get HC sniffs this year. That stability alone has me hoping for more next season.

If only we could get our cap number back, damn Mara. We still have a bunch of holes to fill, but I think Bruce Allen and the scouting department seem to be doing a hellava job, so even finding low cost FA to fill in seems to be working. Maybe we will have enough Cap in two years to actually keep people we find for depth. Well, as much depth as a 53 man roster gives.

I hope the allow total recovery for RG3 and remove the pistol offense for now. RG3 takes enough hits when he scrambles, and it is the way he is able to extend the plays that matter most.

Good year. Nice to win the East for a change. Still, losing to the SeaHawks left a real bad taste in my mouth and it sucks to have to wait a whole offseason to get rid of it.
    I am clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin Nation View Post
    And Snyder needs to fix the field. Does anyone remember how Peterson hurt his knee, was he hit or field related?
    Kind of both. Dejon Gomes was push in the back while making his tackle on Peterson. So he hit him right in his knee but you can see that Peterson's foot stay planted on the field.

http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=1...1701111667.png
    Last edited by Mskins; 01-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it" @ Daniel Snyder

A good season and a great last 8 weeks, but once again, someway, somehow, the Redskins found a way to **** it up. I don't know if the Skins are snake bit, cursed, or what, but they're something and its not good.

I opined before the Seattle game that I wanted to see what was gonna happen next year. Would we build upon this year as I had hoped we would after 05 and 07? Or would we take two steps back like we actually did in 06 and 08? I guess I won't have to wait as long this year to find out the answers to those questions.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

There's so many positives to come from this season, it's hard to find too many negatives (Except for THAT one, you know which one.) Hell, going 5-1 in the NFC East right there is grounds for cracking open a beer and pouring it over my head while chanting the second verse to HTTR, but beating Dallas on Turkey Day for once and then in Week 17 to win the division will be a memory that we're going to cherish forever.

But here's some things I'd love to see improve next year.

- I'm going to assume Fletcher isn't retiring, but I'd love to see whoever's going to try to fill his big ass shoes step up this year. I felt like Perry Riley took a step back from his debut. Sophomore slump?

- We need to upgrade our safeties this offseason. I honestly think they were the reason we got destroyed through the air this season.

- Kerrigan had a sophomore slump and I hope to see that guy pick it up next year.

- RG3 needs to hit the film room ... and watch hours of Eli sliding. Feel free to take off running all you want, but when you see that pair of LBs closing, get your ass down, bro.

- No more option, please.
    ----------------------

if you want to follow me you should know
    I was lost then and I'm lost now
    And I doubt I'll ever know which way to go

A great season to build on. Hopefully Griff is back to start the season but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd like to see a new RT, and a good third down RB with some moves on offense.

On D, I'm not convinced Haslett is the answer but we'll see. I don't think he's going anywhere. I don't mind keeping DHall is he restructures but would like to see another CB, and plenty of competition at S. I'd like to see more depth at ILB as well.

It is entirely possible that Griffin's injury will ultimately be a godsend. If the injury is relatively minor then I think that it may ultimately make Griffin more cautious and Shanahan less willing to put him into harm's way.

I think Griffin can be an excellent pocket passer. A better line and less of a penchant to run will help him immeasurably.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

From USA Today and the DC Sports Bog...

When Robert Griffin III underwent surgery early Wednesday to repair his torn right lateral collateral ligament, it was determined that his right anterior cruciate ligament was also damaged and needed reconstructive surgery for a second time since 2009, Griffin's father told USA TODAY Sports.

The surgery was performed by renowned orthopedist James Andrews in Pensacola, Fla, and began early Wednesday as scheduled after MRI's initially showed no evidence of the ACL tear, according to Griffin II.

"Robert's ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession,'' Griffin II said in a text message to USA TODAY Sports. "You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace.''

The timetable for Griffin's recovery is unknown at this point, but renowned orthopedist Dr. Neal ElAttrache told USA TODAY Sports that, with a typical isolated ACL reconstruction, it takes at least six months for a skill-position player to get back on the field doing position-specific drills.

Griffin suffered a Grade 1 sprain of the LCL during a Dec. 9 game against the Baltimore Ravens and after missing the next game against Cleveland, But he aggravated the knee early in Sunday's wild-card game and then was forced from the field when his knee buckled in the fourth quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    From USA Today and the DC Sports Bog...
    I can't tell. Is this bad news, good news, or what we were expecting?

As for the thread as everyone knows I am very positive going forward. Should be obvious by now that Shanny and Allen have done a great job in totally turning over a terrible roster. Work needs to be done but I firmly believe RGIII will be as good as ever at some point next season, very likely for the opener. As Blaze pointed out every one of his injuries occurred on passing plays, not running plays. But they need to expand the offense, as we all know they will, and run a more conventional attack. With Garcon, Davis, and a QB who is a great passer they should be OK. Rasta and I have been saying for a year now they really need a fast 3rd down back, not sure if it's Halu or not but it's needed. As is a RT, no doubt in their plans, and help in the secondary..

Since we all know that QB is the key I see a divison with a 32 year old QB in NY, a real QB concern in Dallas and no QB at all in Philly. Yep, I like our future for sure.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 01-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.

On the 2nd time he got injured on the sack, he really was in no condition to protect himself. If healthy, he evades the sack. On the Ngata tackle, he was past the LOS, even though it was a pass play. Most QB's throw the ball away or take a few yards and slide. Bob was trying to get more than that. I like the effort, but that style of play is high risk/high reward/high injury..
    I Still Blame JC for Gibbs Leaving..

Quote Originally Posted by SinkLikeAStone View Post
    There's so many positives to come from this season, it's hard to find too many negatives (Except for THAT one, you know which one.) Hell, going 5-1 in the NFC East right there is grounds for cracking open a beer and pouring it over my head while chanting the second verse to HTTR, but beating Dallas on Turkey Day for once and then in Week 17 to win the division will be a memory that we're going to cherish forever.

But here's some things I'd love to see improve next year.

- I'm going to assume Fletcher isn't retiring, but I'd love to see whoever's going to try to fill his big ass shoes step up this year. I felt like Perry Riley took a step back from his debut. Sophomore slump?

- We need to upgrade our safeties this offseason. I honestly think they were the reason we got destroyed through the air this season.

- Kerrigan had a sophomore slump and I hope to see that guy pick it up next year.

- RG3 needs to hit the film room ... and watch hours of Eli sliding. Feel free to take off running all you want, but when you see that pair of LBs closing, get your ass down, bro.

- No more option, please.
    To be fair, RG3 was sliding (sort of) when crushed by Haloti Ngata. That play was pretty crucial so I think the situation called for him to try and get a bit more. It all spiraled down hill from there.

They are being smarter with the option. They completely removed the pitch aspect of it because RG3 was getting drilled on it. Now they run it/block it smarter where it's one read for him and he rarely get cleanly hit when doing it. All his injuries have come in called passing plays. The option play really helps Alf.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    It is entirely possible that Griffin's injury will ultimately be a godsend. If the injury is relatively minor then I think that it may ultimately make Griffin more cautious and Shanahan less willing to put him into harm's way.

I think Griffin can be an excellent pocket passer. A better line and less of a penchant to run will help him immeasurably.
    He'll be more cautious to an extent, but part of what makes RG3 who he is as a player is his ability to make plays on his feet. I'm willing to take the risk with the play style, just tone it down a smidge.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast