did a little poking about regarding the Bears' practice squad.

Dennis Derek likely a Mike Tice pet project, complete with the underachieving traits. interesting thought if the new Bears coach wants a power running style.

Reggie Stephens kind of similar, really. in fact, i remembered something about Tice liking him in 2010, though all i could find was this ESPN bit.

Chris Riley doesn't fit the Tice mold. not much available on him; he's a local kid, and his team went to the IHSA finals three straight years, so i wonder if there's a Casey Urlacher "favor-for-someone" sorta thing going on. PFW barely ranked him in 2011.

Aston Whiteside not much on him either. he went to Abilene-Christian (like Johnny Knox and Danieal Manning), so could be another Casey Urlacher thing, or maybe they see something. kinda small for DE and slow for a LB, though.

Gabe Miller drafted as an OLB in Kansas City in 2011 (in the fifth round!), so why he's listed as a TE is anyone's guess. (hey, look, Dustin Lyman!) guessing this is Phil Emery going with his days as a KC scout.

Isaiah Frey drafted by the Bears last year in the 6th, so you know they like him. fits the Bears' CB mold under Lovie Smith, but might still be worth keeping around cos he tackles and has ball skills. (depth = good.)

Dale Moss raw as can be, but has size and leaping ability, along with some speed. and Phil Emery seems to like big wideouts, so maybe he develops and becomes something more than just a practice squad guy.