Thread: 3-4 defense

3-4 defense

Is it possible with current make up of our DL to think about a 3-4 D. Is Cox big enough for nose or could he play DE in this scheme?....would Cole or Graham be viable outside rushers?

Quote Originally Posted by Egulfan View Post
    Is it possible with current make up of our DL to think about a 3-4 D. Is Cox big enough for nose or could he play DE in this scheme?....would Cole or Graham be viable outside rushers?
    In a 3-4 defense Cox would be a DE, Jenkins would be a DE if we kept him...We have no Nose Tackle so you would have draft one. Brandon Graham would be moved to ILB, Demeco Ryans would have to be traded....You would have to move a whole lot of people.

Dixon would be the NT with this roster. As wings said, Cox and Jenkins woujld be the DE's. Cole a PLB with Graham. Etc.
    If they switch, this will take a couple years or more to change over.

I don't think Cox would be a great 3-4 end either.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    I don't think Cox would be a great 3-4 end either.
    I think he'd be alright in the 3-4 at DE, but you'd be completely wasting his skills and the reason you drafted him in the 1st place.

3-4 DLinemen basically tie up Tackles and try to hold their ground. It's more of a LB important system as far as production. I'd much rather stick with the 4-3 for nw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    3-4 DLinemen basically tie up Tackles and try to hold their ground. It's more of a LB important system as far as production. I'd much rather stick with the 4-3 for nw.
    You're right and these DL have to eat up all the OL to keep them off the LBs who are the real stars of the 3-4 defense. The LBs are the ones who have to get pressure on the QB on passing plays and make the tackles on the RB on running plays. You need great OLBs who not only have speed, but strength as well and are exceptional tacklers. Being a Steeler fan I love the 3-4 defense, but it isn't for every team and IMO the eagles don't have the personnel to play it. So I'm not sure whey'd you'd want to try to make the switch. Especially considering by the time you have the players to play it the trend to go to the 3-4 will have changed and teams will be going back to playing the 4-3. That's just how it works.

4-3 looks better for us now. But that can all change pretty quick. It's not like a lot of the guys on the defense are must keeps.

Having the personnel and coaching to do both is really the way to go.