That's the thesis of the article, with GE's appliance business as an example. Core reasons include:
- Overseas labor isn't as cheap as it used to be.
- US labor isn't as expensive as it used to be.
- Energy costs of transportation from overseas are high.
- Energy costs of manufacturing may be low in the US, due to the natural gas boom.
- The quality and design advantages of manufacturing locally are non-trivial ...
- ... and they're concentrated earlier in product cycles -- but, due to technology, ...
- ... product cycles are getting shorter.