Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I know what you like about Glennon, but what separates him from Geno IYO?
    What I've seen Glennon have that I truely haven't seen from Geno

1st to 2nd read progression time. (which is the most important part of being a QB)
    Pre Snap Awareness (ie calling audibles ... which WVU doesn't do)
    Targeting (how many weapons does he utilize in an offense ? )

Staying tall in the pocket ... ( people keep calling Geno a pocket passer but WVu is designed for him to move after the 1st read. A pocket passer can plant their feet on a the 2nd read ... he hasn't )

Head/Eye moment - it's what makes Brady, Brees, and the greatest great. When facing a zone you fake out 1 read with your eyes to play with the ILB / OLB / S then you hit your target in open space.

Identifying the extra pass rusher - like I said , which no one seems to want to do. Watch the K-State game. Arthur Brown , a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, had Geno's number the entire game.

And finally ... watching Geno lose is ugly. In no way do I think he's an ego guy. He has the personality of a level minded QB. But the way he acted and sat by himself when K-State came out and dominated was just sad. To me , that's the moment he was knocked out of the Heisman conversation.

There's a TON of coaching or more importantly un-coaching that will have to go into this guy. I love his arm - it reminds me of Kap's. I like his spirit. But a first round QB has to be able to come in , start , and probably be able to do 50% of the offensive playbook. Glennon does. He's not sexy. But neither was Matt Ryan ... and neither was Russell Wilson.
    Last edited by dasher; 12-21-2012 at 08:10 PM.

To note , they all retired after being diagnosed. None of them had ever been diagnosed before.

This isn't a genetic disease.

In athletes compression fractures around or near the spine are the main cause. As a linebacker you are basically getting into 5-6 car crashes a game. Maybe 10 if your'e a hard hitter . One severe trauma especially around the thoracic vertbreae or thoracic curve can change your life forever. I was in a zip lining accident a year ago and tests are done regularly to see if i may have this.

You can't continue playing football... or to put it bluntly ... you can't be the person whose job it is to hit people ... if your spine narrows in either the thoracic or lumbar region. If you do , then you simply have a death wish.

Even though I don't have it , I'm advised not to lift things over 50 lbs. Which in my field is basically unthinkable.

PS: The best way to heal or help recover from this is a steroid treatment (for upper spinal injuries ).... which under NFL rules you would be suspended if you took them. Even then , it's not like you're guaranteed 100% recovery.

Although it could have just been an odd coincidence (because the assumption is that his injury was very high ) , there is a surgery for lower back patients ... but surgery near the spine takes a lot of rehab and recovery space. Granted athletes are stellar humans, but what you try to get to is a time when you're no longer in pain to do every day chores.
    Last edited by dasher; 12-21-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Marcus McNeil slid in the draft due to his back issues. I'm pretty sure it was known before the draft.

I thought Samuel had a known issue before the draft, as well.

Gronkowski is still playing and takes plenty of hits over the middle.

Its a risk but not one that guys haven't played with before. How much it affects him is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    What I've seen Glennon have that I truely haven't seen from Geno

1st to 2nd read progression time. (which is the most important part of being a QB)
    Pre Snap Awareness (ie calling audibles ... which WVU doesn't do)
    Targeting (how many weapons does he utilize in an offense ? )

Staying tall in the pocket ... ( people keep calling Geno a pocket passer but WVu is designed for him to move after the 1st read. A pocket passer can plant their feet on a the 2nd read ... he hasn't )

Head/Eye moment - it's what makes Brady, Brees, and the greatest great. When facing a zone you fake out 1 read with your eyes to play with the ILB / OLB / S then you hit your target in open space.

Identifying the extra pass rusher - like I said , which no one seems to want to do. Watch the K-State game. Arthur Brown , a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, had Geno's number the entire game.

And finally ... watching Geno lose is ugly. In no way do I think he's an ego guy. He has the personality of a level minded QB. But the way he acted and sat by himself when K-State came out and dominated was just sad. To me , that's the moment he was knocked out of the Heisman conversation.

There's a TON of coaching or more importantly un-coaching that will have to go into this guy. I love his arm - it reminds me of Kap's. I like his spirit. But a first round QB has to be able to come in , start , and probably be able to do 50% of the offensive playbook. Glennon does. He's not sexy. But neither was Matt Ryan ... and neither was Russell Wilson.
    thanks for the response. Good stuff. Not saying I agree with all of it, but there is a lot worth looking into.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Marcus McNeil slid in the draft due to his back issues. I'm pretty sure it was known before the draft.

I thought Samuel had a known issue before the draft, as well.

Gronkowski is still playing and takes plenty of hits over the middle.

Its a risk but not one that guys haven't played with before. How much it affects him is anyone's guess.
    Sure, it could be nothing, but its something you have to really look at before you take him. I'm not saying he automatically falls to the 2nd round, just that he isn't an automatic top 5 pick that you take blindly.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Anyone got love for Bridgewater as a pro?

edit - and for this year I am a little curious to see how high Manuel will rise. He has all the tools on paper and his stats are solid enough. Yes, he has dissapointed, but that doesn't mean he can't rise up draft boards quite a bit
    I like Bridgewater and think he has all the tools to be a top 10 pick in 2014.

I've seen him stay in the pocket constantly in the every-throw-in-the-game videos I've watched. I rarely see him "move after the 1st read." Quite frankly, you can tell he'd prefer to stay there and deliver a pass, which is contrary to many young QBs who do want to bomb out at the first hint of pressure (or bad QBs like Cassel). He seems pretty calm whenever there's chaos around him.

Glennon reminds me a lot of Kevin Kolb....Very similar.

I think the best Qb is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMa5Nv2zoI

I also think Geno Smith blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    I've seen him stay in the pocket constantly in the every-throw-in-the-game videos I've watched. I rarely see him "move after the 1st read." Quite frankly, you can tell he'd prefer to stay there and deliver a pass, which is contrary to many young QBs who do want to bomb out at the first hint of pressure (or bad QBs like Cassel). He seems pretty calm whenever there's chaos around him.

Chit, Christian Ponder still can't do that......

Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Glennon reminds me a lot of Kevin Kolb....Very similar.

I think the best Qb is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMa5Nv2zoI

I also think Geno Smith blows.

I don't see the Kolb comparison. Kolb was a system QB @ Houston and never deserved to be drafted as high as he did. Most people didn't see it coming, and for good reason.

I just don't see that comparison. His style most reminds me of Eli Manning. Throws off his back foot too much, puts a few ducks on the pond, etc but has talent.

On talent alone, Geo Smith, Barkley and Glennon aren't top 15 talents, however, all 3 will get drafted in round 1, probably in that order. Being QB's a couple may get pushed up into the top 10 but KC and Jacksonville will really have to sweat it out if they take one top 2.
    The success of Kaepernick, Dalton and Wilson show the impact of college QB's throwing the ball a ton in passing systems, college QB's now come into the NFL far more ready to be pro passers than previous eras allowed. I suspect some GM's may be far more willing to wait to find their QB's than in previous drafts due to the success of the previously mentioned 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post

Wow. He made a pass against a bad delayed blitz. Texas had 1 win against a ranked team (Texas Tech). I don't really care that much about that game. Watch the K-State game, Wyndham. Or even the Texas Tech game. Stop acting like Arrowhead Pride is now a definitive draft expert site.
    They all stated that Tannehill was crap last year. Just like people from our forum did.

Wow. He made a pass against a bad delayed blitz. Texas had 1 win against a ranked team (Texas Tech). I don't really care that much about that game. Watch the K-State game, Wyndham. Or even the Texas Tech game. Stop acting like Arrowhead Pride is now a definitive draft expert site.
    They all stated that Tannehill was crap last year. Just like people from our forum did.
    I still think Tannehill is crap. ;)

But seriously, that was just awful blocking by WVU. And he still stayed in the pocket and made a nice play while getting crushed by a LB.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

I dunno, I'm excited to see him get a Greg Jennings-esque WR that can break away 10-15 after the first bump so we can really see him use that solid bootleg. Do I rate him highly no... probably around where Cutler was.

Geno Smith looked below average in the 1st quarter. Some bad throw. A sack that lead to a safety.

He had one pass that resulted in a TD (it needed some broken tackles but I'll take it)

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast