Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    McShay stated last week that he had Glennon at no.3 behind Barkley and Smith (who is 27). He said this week w/ Kiper (who does have Glennon as his top QB) that the more he watches him the more he likes what he sees. He also isn't updating his list until he's watched all of the Bowls.

I don't mind that list. But Glennon is going to be the first QB picked. And will be the no.1 QB after Bowl Season.

And to note.

The funny thing is that I'm in no way an NC State homer or even really a fan of Glennon.

KC will likely pick him if they have the no.1 pick. And I'll hate the circumstance because it should be Jouckel , Lotulelei , or Teo.

The next two years , in terms of Pro Style QBs , don't look that exciting. Remember , after Manning came McNabb ( and Couch and Smith ) and then there was 2000 where there weren't hyped QBs (just Pennington... ) and a guy named Brady . Then 2001 had Vick and Brees. 2002 ... Carr/Harrington ... which to a lot of us had a lot of hype because of Harrington's somewhat underdog season. And 2004 had the big 3 (Rivers, Big Ben, Eli ) .

I'm really , really high on the Defensive Talent for the next 2 years. Clowney is the best defensive lineman I've seen enter the draft since Suh or even Peppers.

No one has Glennon as the best player in this draft right now that I can find. No one.

CBS sports ranks him as the 57th best prospect and predicts a second round selection.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/2013/all

Kiper does not rank him in the top 5.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...er-comes-focus
    Last edited by Iggloo; 12-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    And to note.

The funny thing is that I'm in no way an NC State homer or even really a fan of Glennon.

KC will likely pick him if they have the no.1 pick. And I'll hate the circumstance because it should be Jouckel , Lotulelei , or Teo.

The next two years , in terms of Pro Style QBs , don't look that exciting. Remember , after Manning came McNabb ( and Couch and Smith ) and then there was 2000 where there weren't hyped QBs (just Pennington... ) and a guy named Brady . Then 2001 had Vick and Brees. 2002 ... Carr/Harrington ... which to a lot of us had a lot of hype because of Harrington's somewhat underdog season. And 2004 had the big 3 (Rivers, Big Ben, Eli ) .

I'm really , really high on the Defensive Talent for the next 2 years. Clowney is the best defensive lineman I've seen enter the draft since Suh or even Peppers.
    A DE that can rush the passer might be the exception but taking a DL or ILB with the #1 pick in the draft is generally not a good idea. Sure, if they turn out to be JJ Watt or Von Miller, it would be good but I don't think anyone in this draft is that. Clowney might be, we'll see.

KC already wasted two very high picks on DL that have done nothing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    No one has Glennon as the best player in this draft right now that I can find. No one.

CBS sports ranks him as the 57th best prospect and predicts a second round selection.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/2013/all

Kiper does not rank him in the top 5.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...er-comes-focus
    Again ...

I'm not SAYING that he's the best.
    I don't even think he's that great.

But he's going to the first player drafted. Even if I'm wrong, he'll be the first QB drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    A DE that can rush the passer might be the exception but taking a DL or ILB with the #1 pick in the draft is generally not a good idea. Sure, if they turn out to be JJ Watt or Von Miller, it would be good but I don't think anyone in this draft is that. Clowney might be, we'll see.

KC already wasted two very high picks on DL that have done nothing for them.
    Clowney is an odd beast. He has the frame to play a 3-4 end and still get to the QB. He can slim down and play 4-3 DE.

Stephon Tuitt is going to be an excellent 2013 prospect as well. Some have even argued that he was the best player on ND this season. (I still think it's Manti but oh well).

The main argument with defensive line talent is that sometimes they take longer to develop. Even Super Mario Williams only had 4.5 sacks in his rookie year.

If you look at the DROY awards , most of them are LBs and ILBs at that. If you're looking at the newer contracts , can you afford to take a great defensive player and hope that you'll figure out the QB situation in the next 3-4 years? Hard decisions now that the average life of an NFL coach as decreased .25 every 3 years ?

I wouldn't agree. Assuming you take a defensive player and get better, you are still in search of a good QB. Most of them are taken at the top of the draft so if you miss out you are stuck with turds like Christian Ponder.

No chance I'd take a DT or ILB high over a QB. They might have a lesser chance of being a bust but they probably won't even buy you another win next year. Jones might be the exception as he has some serious rush skills and the same with Clowney next year.

But a DT/ILB? No. Suh was the best DT prospect in just about forever and Detroit still sucks on D and as a team, largely because Stafford is about as inconsistent as you can get.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so I apologize if this question has already been brought up. Why not Geno Smith #1 overall, or the first QB drafted? Skill wise, he's more mobile, has a better arm and is more accurate....He just hasn't played his entire career in a pro style offense like Glennon has. There's been no indication that Smith is incapable of running a pro offense and doing it at a high level. He's got all the tools and he's dominated against college competition. I can't see why a GM would want to take Glennon over Smith. Of course dasher is entitled to his opinion, and a lot can happen between now and the draft, but I just can't comprehend why Glennon would be ranked higher than Smith based on skill and production.
    Last edited by DaSuperfan; 12-20-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    I haven't read through the entire thread, so I apologize if this question has already been brought up. Why not Geno Smith #1 overall, or the first QB drafted? Skill wise, he's more mobile, has a better arm and is more accurate....He just hasn't played his entire career in a pro style offense like Glennon has. There's been no indication that Smith is incapable of running a pro offense and doing it at a high level. He's got all the tools and he's dominated against college competition. I can't see why a GM would want to take Glennon over Smith. Of course dasher is entitled to his opinion, and a lot can happen between now and the draft, but I just can't comprehend why Glennon would be ranked higher than Smith based on skill and production.
    I've yet to see anyone, talking heads included, give any real argument against Geno thus far. Psycho's made some solids points in this thread, but overall I think he's a damn fine prospect, and I'd be surprised if the same talking heads are singing his praises a lot more in March.

I can only really put it down to some sort of Luck/RG3 hangover. Like every QB is gonna be measured against them, and when they inevitably don't stack up (because those guys were pretty rare), the new QB sucks. The funny thing is, Geno had more TDs and less picks than RG3 in both their respective last two seasons. S'not to say Geno > RG3 by any stretch, but when you look at the production, the character, the size, you'd think these guys are in the same movie, even if RG3's the lead character; the way it reads around here, it's like Geno's selling popcorn on admission.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    Geno Smith isn't mobile, though. He is a pocket passer. Doesn't have cement blocks feet ala a guy like Philip Rivers but he certainly isn't going to run or scramble much.

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    McShay stated last week that he had Glennon at no.3 behind Barkley and Smith (who is 27). He said this week w/ Kiper (who does have Glennon as his top QB) that the more he watches him the more he likes what he sees. He also isn't updating his list until he's watched all of the Bowls.

I don't mind that list. But Glennon is going to be the first QB picked. And will be the no.1 QB after Bowl Season.
    I know what you like about Glennon, but what separates him from Geno IYO?
    "Governing doesnít disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life ó like HMOís, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Geno Smith isn't mobile, though. He is a pocket passer. Doesn't have cement blocks feet ala a guy like Philip Rivers but he certainly isn't going to run or scramble much.
    I think he's a more mobile than Glennon though. I've seen Smith evade the rush pretty well, maybe not a scrambler by any means....but he's got enough athletic ability to escape pressure. Glennon looks like his feet are stuck in the ground most of the time.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

I think some of the concerns about Geno Smith stem from the offense he runs in college, and the fact that he's always in the shotgun. In other words, is he Andre Ware?

I think he is probably better than that, but his numbers are clearly inflated by the system.

My guess is that if any QB goes first overall this year, it is Geno Smith, even though I think that would be a pretty bad pick for KC.

I really think KC needs to find a trade partner and trade down, even if it means getting less value than usual for it. Some teams will fall in love with guys like Joeckel and look to move up IMO.

I think NFL teams are past worrying about too much time spent in the shotgun.
    "Governing doesnít disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life ó like HMOís, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    I really think KC needs to find a trade partner and trade down, even if it means getting less value than usual for it. Some teams will fall in love with guys like Joeckel and look to move up IMO.
    For what possible reason? Even if the Draft was Madden, nothing even compares to how much the Chiefs need a QB. They don't need a tackle or a pass-rusher, anyway. What's next, another f'ing interior DL? ILB? No. These don't mean ****, tbh. Get a QB, put some weapons around him, then fix everything else. That's how the NFL works these days. Just how Indy did it (Luck, back-to-back TEs, then WRs) and how the Skins did it (RG3, sign all those WRs).

And don't give me that "maybe it sets them back 5 years" garbage either. It won't. Not drafting a QB will set them back another 3 decades more like, just how it's been the last 3 decades while avoiding QBs like the plague. If they swing and miss, so be it; all they've done is miss anyway, so you might as well do it right.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast