Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    FTR Dave, people weren't ready to fire Smith only over 2 blocked kicks. It was a combination of not being able to find a kicker who was consistent (Hopefully Cobra Kai can solve that), not being able to find a return man (still haven't found that), AND two straight years where we've had multiple kicks blocked.

There are 5 phases on special teams. Kickoff return, kickoff coverage, punt return, punt coverage, and field goals. Up until Cobra Kai, I'd say we were below average in 3 of 5. If Cobra Kai is the legit long term answer then I'd say we're still below average in 2 of 5. And according to all the news reports, Danny went to bat big time for Banks to keep him on the roster.
    I haven't heard the reports on lobbying for Banks but if you read it then I buy it. But again he is not in charge of who shows up at camp, he has to play with the hand he has been dealt and he probably felt that Banks was the best of the bad options they had. 3 of the 5 you listed are dependent in large part to 2 players, the returner and the kicker. Had he had Kai and a return guy like Jacoby Jones all year he could very well be sitting at 5 for 5.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 12-06-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Another black mark on Smiths's record - According to one of the Skins' beat reporters, he was against cutting Graham Gano. It was strictly Shanny's move there.

Btw, Gano is back in the NFL and missed an extra point in his first game with Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruzious View Post
    Another black mark on Smiths's record - According to one of the Skins' beat reporters, he was against cutting Graham Gano. It was strictly Shanny's move there.

Btw, Gano is back in the NFL and missed an extra point in his first game with Carolina.
    Again the choice was Gano or Cundiff. I'm with Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Davekn View Post
    I haven't heard the reports on lobbying for Banks but if you read it then I buy it. But again he is not in charge of who shows up at camp, he has to play with the hand he has been dealt and he probably felt that Banks was the best of the bad options they had. 3 of the 5 you listed are dependent in large part to 2 players, the returner and the kicker. Had he had Kai and a return guy like Jacoby Jones all year he could very well be sitting at 5 for 5.
    The whole "if he had Kai and Jacoby Jones" statement brings me back to Ken Beatrice's famous quote..."If if's and but's were candy and nuts oh what a party we'd have".

The bottom line is it's his job to find a quality kicker and a quality return man. He's had trouble doing that until he found Forbath. From all the reports I've ever read in the post, Danny Smith has a lot of say on the kicker and the return man. Jason on the sports junkies is friends with Danny Smith and he has said multiple times that he went to bat for Banks and wanted to keep him.

As for Cundiff vs. Gano, many of us on this board had serious misgiving about Cundiff from day 1. That's not the slam dunk you make it out to be IMO.
    Last edited by Rasta; 12-06-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    The whole "if he had Kai and Jacoby Jones" statement brings me back to Ken Beatrice's famous quote..."If if's and but's were candy and nuts oh what a party we'd have".

The bottom line is it's his job to find a quality kicker and a quality return man. He's had trouble doing that until he found Forbath. From all the reports I've ever read in the post, Danny Smith has a lot of say on the kicker and the return man. Jason on the sports junkies is friends with Danny Smith and he has said multiple times that he went to bat for Banks and wanted to keep him.

As for Cundiff vs. Gano, many of us on this board had serious misgiving about Cundiff from day 1. That's not the slam dunk you make it out to be IMO.
    Smith has a strong influence on who they keep but do you really believe he has final say on who they acquire? I don't believe that for a minute, I highly doubt he is even in the war room deciding on the players who end up in camp. So blaming him for poor personnel is unfair IMO. It's like the famous quote from Gibbs regarding his roll and Bethard's: "he decides who comes and I decide who goes" (or however that went)

So going with Banks is kind of the tallest midget deal, he didn't have much to choose from. Bad move? Of course. But again had Shanny and Allen provided him with a Jacoby Jones you would have a different opinion on the job he is doing. Besides it's not like he backed Banks over a return guy who ended up kicking ass and taking names elsewhere.

I'm not sure I understand your last point. I agree, most everyone did not understand the move to sign Cundif and were against keeping him for sure. I know we both felt that way. So Smith backed Gano over Cundiff, a move most of us agreed with given the choices. Where's the disagreement here between us?

Nice Sportstalk pull by the way. Brings back memories.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 12-06-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Where we disagree Dave is that the point of a special teams coach is to find kickers and returners. He might not have the final say but those guys scout kickers and return guys heavily. That's a major part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilmer View Post
    Bah. We can afford to lose to the Ravens.
    I disagree. Hopefully none of the Skins players or coaches have the same mindset as this.

9-7 is winning the division IMO.
    Perhaps, but if the Giants win out, something Tom Coughlin is already saying the Giants need to do to win the division. We're SOL far as winning the NFC East. And we might be SOL far as a WC berth at 9-7. At 10-6 I think we'll be good for a playoff berth regardless if the Giants win out.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Far as Danny Smith goes......I'm not sure what to think and even with Kai having a perfect mark thus far with FGs. I'm still not comfortable with our kicking game.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Far as Danny Smith goes......I'm not sure what to think and even with Kai having a perfect mark thus far with FGs. I'm still not comfortable with our kicking game.
    You are gun shy my friend. Their punter has been rock solid for 2 seasons now. I don't believe Kai will never miss but so far there is no reason to be worried that we are going back to the old days.

Rasta: I tried for like 20 seconds to find the duties of a special teams coach and decided it was a worthless move. We'll just diasgree and move on, ok with you?

You are gun shy my friend.
    Indeed I am. One of the glaring holes I still believe we have in our kicking game is the inability to kick touchbacks. It almost bit us in the ass last Mon after Garcon's TD. Thankfully for us the Giants were called for a penalty on the KO.

Rasta: I tried for like 20 seconds to find the duties of a special teams coach and decided it was a worthless move. We'll just diasgree and move on, ok with you?
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Indeed I am. One of the glaring holes I still believe we have in our kicking game is the inability to kick touchbacks. It almost bit us in the ass last Mon after Garcon's TD. Thankfully for us the Giants were called for a penalty on the KO.
    You may be in luck.

Commissioner Roger Goodell recently discussed a proposal to eliminate kickoffs with Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, Time magazine reported.

Goodell and McKay discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if they failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...fs-report-says

What a freaking joke Goodell is.

Quote Originally Posted by duck View Post
    Browns D is apparently pretty decent.
    Richardson is the real deal too. They have been in most every game they have played, have not won much, but they are going to make you beat them. It is just the type of game we lose, that is mostly my worry. Like Carolina, that is mostly my fear with them.
    I am clay.

You may be in luck.

Commissioner Roger Goodell recently discussed a proposal to eliminate kickoffs with Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, Time magazine reported.

Goodell and McKay discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if they failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...fs-report-says

What a freaking joke Goodell is.
    Yeah, I read that in the gen fourm. That's definitely not the way I want to alleviate our KO woes though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234