Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't watch Homeland, but Justified will be back soon and I will be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by lucas707 View Post
    primetime ( and everyone else too ) I'm curious what you think of some of the zombie films -

What do you think of Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead ( 78 and 04 ), Day of the Dead, Zombie ( '80 ), etc etc ???
    Haven't seen all of them and the ones I have seen haven't seen in a while. I do enjoy the genre and really anything post apocalyptical. I do like 28 days later a lot as a more recent addition.

I hear your issues with the show, but the natural evolution of a zombie story is to present your protagonists with a human villain. Particularly a few seasons into a series. As we've consistently seen throughout the show (and almost anything within the genre) the fight for survival is more of a fight against each other than the zombies. The zombies don't evolve as characters, but the humans do as they adjust to their new surroundings. As they're able to cope with these surrounding you naturally have to present a greater threat. Herein lies the introduction of a human villain more ruthless and threatening than countless undead. You could argue that the introduction of the governor was not properly executed or that the actor doesn't play the role well (I'd probably disagree on both fronts though), but its almost a necessary progression in the story. I mean they can't just keep moving to new places only to get overrun by Zombies. They've already done that. They've already had dissension in their group and risen beyond it to come together.

Personally I think this season has been great not only because of the faster paced action, but the character development has been outstanding. I mean just look at Glenn and Carl and compare them to last season. In addition from a production standpoint the cinematography has been excellent and is shot more like a long movie than a TV series. The music, the camera angles, the lighting all really well done.

I'm not going to lie and say the plot hasn't had some questionable little twists (the whole fight club thing), but on the whole I love the direction of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Haven't seen all of them and the ones I have seen haven't seen in a while. I do enjoy the genre and really anything post apocalyptical. I do like 28 days later a lot as a more recent addition.

I hear your issues with the show, but the natural evolution of a zombie story is to present your protagonists with a human villain. Particularly a few seasons into a series. As we've consistently seen throughout the show (and almost anything within the genre) the fight for survival is more of a fight against each other than the zombies. The zombies don't evolve as characters, but the humans do as they adjust to their new surroundings. As they're able to cope with these surrounding you naturally have to present a greater threat. Herein lies the introduction of a human villain more ruthless and threatening than countless undead. You could argue that the introduction of the governor was not properly executed or that the actor doesn't play the role well (I'd probably disagree on both fronts though), but its almost a necessary progression in the story. I mean they can't just keep moving to new places only to get overrun by Zombies. They've already done that. They've already had dissension in their group and risen beyond it to come together.

Personally I think this season has been great not only because of the faster paced action, but the character development has been outstanding. I mean just look at Glenn and Carl and compare them to last season. In addition from a production standpoint the cinematography has been excellent and is shot more like a long movie than a TV series. The music, the camera angles, the lighting all really well done.

I'm not going to lie and say the plot hasn't had some questionable little twists (the whole fight club thing), but on the whole I love the direction of the show.
    You make a great point about the zombies not evolving as characters ... If you have seen Dawn of the Dead ( 1978 ), the introduction of the biker gang is similar to what is going on with the governor in TWD ( I love DOTD btw ) ... but when George Romero went a step further in Day of the Dead, I hated it ( which is where, I fear, TWD is heading )

I recently watched The Dead Outside, which I thought was great - the only downfall being a bad DVD transfer ( but it is an unbelieveable film considering it had a $8,000 budget and was made in 2 weeks )

Bringing this thread back up after I just watched the new episode ( episode 12 )

This was my favorite ep all season - reintroducing Morgan was great, and I hope we see more of him in the future . . . .

Unfortunately, we're probably back to the gov next week, which is the storyline/character that really derails the entire show for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12