Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 OL Prospects

I haven't been watching as much College Football as I used to this year and if I were, I'd be keeping a close eye on OL talent as the Bears are in desperate need of some upgrades in that area....would love to spark up some discussion about the top lineman coming out in the draft. Strong class? Weak? I'll look forward to reading some posts from those of you who have much more knowledge about the 2013 draft prospects than I do at this point.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

There are some good prospects, overall I'd say it looks like a deep class, depending on how many juniors declare.

Joeckel and Matthews will be gone by the time the Bears pick.

Lewan seems OK to me but not really a guy you'd take in the top 10. Seems a little like Nate Solder coming out, could develop nicely. I watched a few times to see if he would be a possible replacement for Loadholt and seemed to be up and down.

Eric Fisher from Central Michigan seems to get some love from people, but its not like most people sit around on Saturday watching CMU so I can't really say.

Dallas Thomas has looked good when I've seen him but he was playing OG and seems to project there.

The Alabama OL prospects seem to be highly thought of but I can't say I've watched them closely enough to really say.

After that I'm not really sure, as far as OTs go. Ricky Wagner was thought of highly last year but seems to have come back to earth. Given that Carimi doesn't appear to have worked out well I'd think it pushes him down more to the 2nd or 3rd round and the Bears would probably avoid him anyway.

The CBS site is all screwed up right now but they usually have a good list.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/OT

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013OT.php

That seems like a fair summary to me. Basically Texas A&M has two top 15 prospects at OT and then you have everyone else...

I've got the SEC championship on DVR, only watched a small portion of it.

Why is Warmack rated so high? Right now some have him going in the top 5-10, which seems unlikely. From what I saw (incomplete right now) he looked nowhere near that good. Even superstar OGs like Randall McDaniel and Steve Hutchinson didn't go that high.

I don't think he's actually going to go that high, but he was one of the early identified studs, so he made some top 10 lists. He'll go in the Iupati range I'm guessing.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Anyone seen enough of Kyle Long to have an opinion of him as an LT prospect?
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. There’s a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if we’re not better it isn’t because there aren’t plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Anyone seen enough of Kyle Long to have an opinion of him as an LT prospect?
    I've seen every game he's played at Oregon. He's a good athletic and might be able to play LT in the NFL in 2-3 years but I see him more as a RT. Reminds me a little of Ryan Tucker.

Eric Fisher is your best option considering where you will be picking.
    CB: *Trae Waynes, MI St.; *Jalen Collins, LSU; Josh Shaw, USC; Cam Thomas, W. KY; Julian Wilson, OK; Eric Murray, MN - OLB: Tony Washington, OR; Hau'oli Kikaha, WA - ILB: Denzel Perryman, Mia.; Eric Kendricks, UCLA; DE: *Shawn Oakman, Baylor; *Xavier Cooper, WA St.; *Sheldon Day, N.D.; Travis Raciti, SJ St.; - NT: Danny Shelton, WA; S: Kurtis Drummund, MI St.; *Karl Joseph, WVA; *Durell Eskridge, Syra.; WR: *Jaelen Strong, AZ St.; Kasen Williams, WA; Kevin White, WVA; Geremy Davis, UConn

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I've seen every game he's played at Oregon. He's a good athletic and might be able to play LT in the NFL in 2-3 years but I see him more as a RT. Reminds me a little of Ryan Tucker.

Eric Fisher is your best option considering where you will be picking.
    Unless we go with a safe bet at G and a flier at T.

Also, my White Sox drafted Long, so it'd be kinda fun to say "all right, this time, you're coming to Chicago."

In any case, thanks for the tip. After years of Whoozitz at LT, I forget what one's supposed to look like.
    Last edited by karhu; 12-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. There’s a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if we’re not better it isn’t because there aren’t plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

This is an interesting year for legacy type players.

Mathews and Long, and somewhat related Jerry Rice's cousin (Jordan Matthews) could also be in.

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Unless we go with a safe bet at G and a flier at T.

Also, my White Sox drafted Long, so it'd be kinda fun to say "all right, this time, you're coming to Chicago."

In any case, thanks for the tip. After years of Whoozitz at LT, I forget what one's supposed to look like.
    Of course, you could go after a Guard or even a MLB or TE with your first pick. Fisher is just the one offensive tackle that seems to be ranked in the area where the Bears will be selecting.

If you have the time, you might want to watch Syracuse and West Virginia in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl on December 29th. Syracuse junior LT Justin Pugh is very good in pass protection. He looks like a left tackle! He's a tad light but he's a guy who could put on a few pounds over the next couple months and fly up boards. Unfortunately, West Virginia doesn't have a top level passrusher to really test Pugh.

Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson is another guy you might want to keep an eye on. I doubt he'll make enough noise in the post-season to get into the first round but he could land in the 2nd round, especially if he shows well in the Cotton Bowl on January 4th. He'll be matched up against Texas A&M's Damontre Moore, who is currently being ranked in the front half of the 1st round.

I sure wish Chicago would find some quality OLmen. I can't recall the last Mock Draft that I didn't give them one.
    Last edited by Rob; 12-15-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    CB: *Trae Waynes, MI St.; *Jalen Collins, LSU; Josh Shaw, USC; Cam Thomas, W. KY; Julian Wilson, OK; Eric Murray, MN - OLB: Tony Washington, OR; Hau'oli Kikaha, WA - ILB: Denzel Perryman, Mia.; Eric Kendricks, UCLA; DE: *Shawn Oakman, Baylor; *Xavier Cooper, WA St.; *Sheldon Day, N.D.; Travis Raciti, SJ St.; - NT: Danny Shelton, WA; S: Kurtis Drummund, MI St.; *Karl Joseph, WVA; *Durell Eskridge, Syra.; WR: *Jaelen Strong, AZ St.; Kasen Williams, WA; Kevin White, WVA; Geremy Davis, UConn

You working on any sites now Rob?
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    You working on any sites now Rob?
    This year is only the second season in the past 14 years that I wasn't "scouting" for a Site. Sideline Scouting is no more. The other guys have moved on. Craig is with the Tampa Bay Rays and Ian is writing for the Bleacher Report. Both have bright futures. I get an invite to join some new Site every once in a while but I think a life without deadlines is the way to go for this old man.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    I've got the SEC championship on DVR, only watched a small portion of it.

Why is Warmack rated so high? Right now some have him going in the top 5-10, which seems unlikely. From what I saw (incomplete right now) he looked nowhere near that good. Even superstar OGs like Randall McDaniel and Steve Hutchinson didn't go that high.
    Really not directly related, but this guard thing really grinds my gears. Seemingly every year there's a, "best guard prospect in forever" that comes out and is slated by all the, "pundits" to go in the top 10. Draft day comes, these guys invariably fall to the back half of round one.

2012: Chance Warmack - Best guard ever!
    2011: David DeCastro - Best guard ever!
    2010: Mike Iupati - Best guard ever!

I think Iupati went 13 and he has become one of the best in football. Decastro tore his ACL so who knows how good he is. Yes, history tells us that OGs fall, but it also tells us that maybe they shouldn't. Warmack probably grades out even better than either one of those guys too. He's a bit stronger than Decastro and a bit more refined and tested than Iupati was.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

What's the poop on Alvin Bailey ?
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast