Interesting thought - from SunTimes article

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/...mike-tice.html

I pretty much agree with everything the article says, basically that Tice is over-matched and clueless. But the article suggests stripping Tice of his playcalling duties so he can work his "magic" on the line and let Jeremy Bates call the shots. Yes please!

I had in mind when We signed him that this is what was going to happen
    there is so much talent on this team it is frustrating to see how We have so little production on the offensive side
    I hope We can get something going .
    I had hope after the first few games that our offense would be up to par with Greebay by now and be ready to give a run to our opponent come playoff time

I'm just sick of us sucking on offense. I'm sick of trying to figure out why we continue to suck on offense. We've changed everything yet continue to disappoint on the offensive side of the ball.
    All I'm asking for is an average offense.

Gggrrrr.

Go Bears!

J
    Never bet on a Bears coaching decision.

I said it in another thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive
    The reality is that when your OL as a unit sucks, there's some things you can do about that. But it's still a bad situation. You can use short drops, chip, max protect and run screens, but those strategies all come with inherent compromises. Any coach will tell you that when you have bad players on your team, particularly all in one area, it makes it really tough. If you don't have any good defenders, it's tough for your soccer team to keep people from scoring. If you don't have good midfielders, the ball's going to be in your end the whole game. That's just how it is. I think Tice certainly has his flaws. But Bill Walsh wouldn't be successful with our cast of characters up front.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Wow, that's a blind 20/20 sheeple piece if I've ever read one. Every thing that has gone wrong is all on Tice? He's not my favorite guy to do anything in the NFL, but I can look at this situation objectively. The writer is also arguing both sides of the argument against Tice. I am not saying that he isn't without fault, but to demonize him for all out offensive woes is just stupid.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

I'm with Mike on this.

Can Jeremy Bates block?
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

What kind of magic is Tice going to perform? Have you guys seen him turn anyone into a probowler since he's been here? It just proves you need talent to work with to make something happen. Tice is no OL god some make him out to be. We need to infuse the line with talent and I'm really shocked we didn't sign any solid veterans this past offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by janos_51 View Post
    Wow, that's a blind 20/20 sheeple piece if I've ever read one. Every thing that has gone wrong is all on Tice? He's not my favorite guy to do anything in the NFL, but I can look at this situation objectively. The writer is also arguing both sides of the argument against Tice. I am not saying that he isn't without fault, but to demonize him for all out offensive woes is just stupid.
    Well I don't know if it's demonizing him so much as it is Emery/Lovie for making him the OC and getting us stuck where we are. When we named Tice OC I was one of the few around here that was against it. My stance was we hired him to fix the OL - and I'm not going to argue that he has a lot to work with, but he more or less hand picked Carimi and Webb is his pet project - and he never accomplished that task. So why in the world would we put more on his plate and ask him to call plays (for the first time in his career) AND oh by the way, that O-line still needs coached.

That has been and still is my issue with Tice as our OC. I thought he was overrated as a line coach to begin with and didn't expect him to be a good OC/line coach. I'm ready to tell him focus on fixing the line while Bates handles the playcalling. Even if Tice can't be blamed for all of our woes...would you not agree that may be the best thing for the team?

Quote Originally Posted by PC Load Letter View Post
    Well I don't know if it's demonizing him so much as it is Emery/Lovie for making him the OC and getting us stuck where we are. When we named Tice OC I was one of the few around here that was against it. My stance was we hired him to fix the OL - and I'm not going to argue that he has a lot to work with, but he more or less hand picked Carimi and Webb is his pet project - and he never accomplished that task. So why in the world would we put more on his plate and ask him to call plays (for the first time in his career) AND oh by the way, that O-line still needs coached.

That has been and still is my issue with Tice as our OC. I thought he was overrated as a line coach to begin with and didn't expect him to be a good OC/line coach. I'm ready to tell him focus on fixing the line while Bates handles the playcalling. Even if Tice can't be blamed for all of our woes...would you not agree that may be the best thing for the team?
    I also was nervous about promoting a never before OC to that job when it happened.

The trouble with Carimi and Webb being his pet projects was... what were his other options? CWill who he already had demoted from OT and 2 undrafted FA rookies. As you also said, he didn't have a lot to work with. It sure would be interesting to see what another OC and OL coach could do with those guys. Carimi in particular. The way things are going, we may find out next year.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Load Letter View Post

I'm not sure that what we are seeing won't be the norm even if we do switch from Tice to Bates. Remember, that we gave Cutler the ability to change plays this year. By some accounts, Tice is calling a balanced attack and Cutler is changing plays, making reads, and forcing the ball to Marshall. While he is the guy who has any shot of winning with the guys around him, Cutler also has some major faults that makes us all shake our heads

Blaming Emory for anything at this point is pretty dumb as well. The guy came in and had very little time to evaluate the roster and HAD to rely on the coaching staff that was placed in his lap to work with. He basically had no other option but to take BPA at every level because nearly every spot needed to be upgraded thanks to Angelo.

The two guys that would have helped us the most on the O line were Cordy Glenn and Kellechi Osemeli. After that, the pickings were pretty scarce, and we only know about those guys from 20/20 hindsight..

We need to take a MLB (Tey'o!!!) TE and O line. The rest of our skill positions are pretty decent at this point.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

It doesn't matter what plays are being called when the OL can't block anyone. If Bill Walsh was the OC of this offense our OL would even manage to make him look foolish.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    It doesn't matter what plays are being called when the OL can't block anyone. If Bill Walsh was the OC of this offense our OL would even manage to make him look foolish.
    +1. We finally agree on this.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi