Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I need a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    The Browns. I can't change.
    As expected. I've tried to do it but it's too hard. I think the only thing you can do is what I'll be doing if the Chiefs don't fire Pioli: give up altogether. Maybe in a few years a new team would latch on. But no one who's a real fan to begin with can swap teams so randomly.

In the case of the Browns ... yeah, I might eventually have given up, too. If there's no franchise QB and no GM competent enough to find one, what hope is there?

When you can admit you still want to root for a generally sucky team you might as well admit you're a fan. Cleveland is a real tease. Every year they seem to get close to respectibility but can't quite get over the hump.

And the answer is...

The Browns. I can't change. As infuriating as they've been the past few years, especially on draft day, I don't think I could ever root against them in the playoffs. Maybe it would never come to that, but it doesn't matter in my mind. Throwing in the towel last year wasn't because they were bad, or even that they didn't seem to be making progress, it was more that I'd given up any hope of that changing with Lerner in charge. That's changed, so at least there is some hope again.

That said, I'm incapable of watching football, or any sport, without rooting for someone, so as long as they're not playing the Browns, I'll be rooting for the Texans/Saints, as 2a and 2b, which I was already kinda doing anyways.
    You can still visit the Broncos forum and talk about the draft. But as an outsider of course!

And the answer is...

The Browns. I can't change. As infuriating as they've been the past few years, especially on draft day, I don't think I could ever root against them in the playoffs. Maybe it would never come to that, but it doesn't matter in my mind. Throwing in the towel last year wasn't because they were bad, or even that they didn't seem to be making progress, it was more that I'd given up any hope of that changing with Lerner in charge. That's changed, so at least there is some hope again.

That said, I'm incapable of watching football, or any sport, without rooting for someone, so as long as they're not playing the Browns, I'll be rooting for the Texans/Saints, as 2a and 2b, which I was already kinda doing anyways.
    I can understand that. I live 3000 miles away from my team surrounded by Giants fans that seem to win a Super Bowl every other year while my team has been mired in the weeds for the past 6 years until this year at least. I wish I was a fan of a local team. It would make my life much easier. But I can't imagine cheering for another team.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

And the answer is...

Right on...I have other teams I root for (I guess the Saints are my #2 team), but there's no way I could disown the Browns and be "all in" as a fan for another team. I grew up in northeast Ohio...as a kid, I remember watching the Browns with my dad. I remember Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble...as heart-wrenching as those moments were, and as bad as they have sucked for a decade, I'd probably give up football before I gave up the Browns.

I agree with you though...for the first time in a long time, we might have some hope. We have some good, young players to build around...and they've gotten better since week 1. And now that Haslam's taken over, I think we might see some real change. Every time the show him in his box at the games, he looks pissed off about what's happening.

A month ago, I wanted Shurmur and the rest of the staff fired...now I'm not sure. They said before the game yesterday that over the previous 6 weeks, the Browns were #2 in the league in scoring defense. And the offense had been having success. But yesterday was bad....Weeden in particular.

The QB position has been holding this team hostage since they came back into the league...I dont think Weeden's the answer. I cant even say I think he's better than Colt. No changes they make will matter unless they fix this. I'm really looking forward to the offseason...

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Cleveland's best chance to win a SB imo was the year Brian Sipe/Sam R/whoever thought it would be a good idea to attempt throwing a TD pass. Instead of running out the time and kicking a FG in the game they lost to the Raiders 14-12. WTF was that all about?
    1980...remember it well, but from the perspective of the other conference.

The Falcons were 12-4 that year and had one of the best offenses of that decade. William Andrews was a beast, rushing and receiving for a combined 1700 yards that year. Falcons lost to the Cowboys in the Divisional playoffs that year, blowing a 10-point lead with less than 4 minutes left.

Ugh.
    "I just want to be a really filthy old man and get paid for it." -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Scooter View Post
    1980...remember it well, but from the perspective of the other conference.

The Falcons were 12-4 that year and had one of the best offenses of that decade. William Andrews was a beast, rushing and receiving for a combined 1700 yards that year. Falcons lost to the Cowboys in the Divisional playoffs that year, blowing a 10-point lead with less than 4 minutes left.

Ugh.
    NFLN had a damn good show about that particular playoff game and the Falcons of 1980. I wish they'd do more pieces like that as opposed to trottin out the same ole same ole over and over.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

And the answer is...

(gives Xulu the finger)

You are such a tease!
    As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round, and if your bottle's empty help yourself to mine, thank you for your time and here's to life.

... and for delaying for this amount of time, all while being so damn indecisive, you must wear a sign on your back to any Browns game that states:

I SERIOUSLY THOUGHT ABOUT BECOMING A BRONCOS FAN

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456