Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Official Team Needs Thread

You know the routine. The more specific you breakout positions (e.g., SLB vs WLB, 1-gap DT vs 2-gap DT) the better. I'm going to color code needs in an effort to make things a little easier to read. Key:

Critical need
    Major need
    Need
    Depth need
    Developmental need

Also, here's a page that lists base defense and blocking schemes for each team: http://www.drafttek.com/teamother2012.html
    Last edited by Xulu Bak; 11-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.

AFC North

Baltimore:
    Cincinnati: BPA, S, LB, RB,C, RT, CB, QB, LB, CB
    Cleveland: OLB, CB, QB, DE, SILB, RG, WR, TE
    Pittsburgh: SS, ILB, NT, DE, LT, FS, CB, RB, OLB, WR, K, OL, QB

AFC South

Houston:
    Indianapolis:
    Jacksonville:
    Tennessee:

AFC East

Buffalo:
    Miami: WR, RT, RG, CB, S, TE
    New England: CB, WR, DT, S, DE, OL, RB, LB
    New York (J):

AFC West

Denver: DT, MLB, OG, KR/PR, WR, CB, RB, TE, S, C, OLB, OT
    Kansas City: QB, CB, MLB, WR, DE, FS, OL
    Oakland: CB, MLB, DT, G, RT, OLB, DE, QB
    San Diego: OG (x2), LT, ILB, CB, OLB, RT, WR
    Last edited by Xulu Bak; 03-02-2013 at 11:13 PM.

NFC North.

Chicago: OL, TE, MLB, FB, WR2, CB
    Detroit: CB, S, G, DE, C, KR/PR, OLB, WR, RB(speed), OT, QB, TE
    Green Bay: OT, C, K, RB, OLB, WR, S, TE, QB, ILB
    Minnesota: WR, CB, DT (both), OG, MLB, WLB, RB, OT, S, QB

NFC South

Atlanta:
    Carolina:
    New Orleans: DL, LT, MLB, CB, SS, WR, QB, RB, TE
    Tampa Bay: CB(x2+), FS, DL (Pass rush), TE, WLB, RB, OT, Slot WR

NFC East

Dallas:
    New York(G): OT, OG, DE, CB, MLB, S, QB
    Philadelphia: RT, S, OL, QB, CB, DL, TE, LB, WR
    Washington:

NFC West

Arizona:
    San Francisco: FS, NT, DE, WR, CB, K, TE2, C
    Seattle: DT (3-tech), 43DE, WR, WLB, G, TE, RB, OT, QB
    St. Louis: OT, G, FS, WR (#1), KR/PR, TE, OLB, RB
    Last edited by Xulu Bak; 03-02-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Detroit Lions

cb
    s

de
    c
    KR/PR

og
    lb(4-3 OLB)

wr
    rb(speed back)
    ot

qb
    te
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

San Diego Chargers

HC
    Need to replace Norv ASAP

LT Gaither cant be counted on and only his contract may prevent a release from the team. His backup is a UDFA rookie who isnt the answer.

OG-2 Our OG's are awful. Vasquez is inconsistant and Green plain stinks. The backup for both spots is Rex Hadnot. Need two new ones IF they dont resign Vasquez but looks like he will be a priority.

RT Jeremy Clary stinks but for some reason they keep him. Time to get RID of him. Signed someone off the street to fill in when he got hurt.

OLB Shaun Phillips wont be back and Larry English is a bust. Barnes is a FA too. Leaves Ingram and Jarret Johnson who will be 32 during preseason.

CB Cason should move on and Jammer is just losing a step. I think he is a FA as well. Marcus Gilchrist is going to be a good player and so is Shareece Wright but nobody else after them. Need a nickel CB.

ILB Spikes wont be back and Te'o would be a great replacement..if we pick high enough. Jonas Mouton could also replace him but he hasnt seen the field YET.

WR Eddie Royal has been a non factor and hurt too much. Meachum...WTF? Hope his 2nd season here is much improved but Denario Alexander has sped past him with no training camp. They will get Vincent Brown back and he is going to be a good one but need depth in case we dump Royal or Meachum but Meachums contract may prevent it.

SS Atari Bigby will be back but Rookie Brandon Taylor tore his ACL and may not be ready for TC. Even if he is, Bigby is in last year of contract and Taylor wont be 100%.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-26-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Chicago Bears

LT
    RT
    LG
    C

TE
    MLB
    CB
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Denver

DT
    MLB
    KR

WR
    CB
    RB
    TE

C
    OLB
    G
    T
    S
    As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round, and if your bottle's empty help yourself to mine, thank you for your time and here's to life.

Quote Originally Posted by femurov View Post
    Denver

DT
    MLB
    KR

WR
    CB
    RB
    TE

C
    OLB
    G
    T
    S

No long term faith in Holliday ?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" --Thomas Edison

Buccaneers:

Critical Need:

Cornerback
    Cornerback
    Cornerback

Major Need:

Free Safety
    Pass Rusher (Probably a pass rushing DT to go with McCoy, but a DE would probably work too.

Need:

Tight End (Dallas Clark is just a stop gap and Stocker is pretty much just a blocker)
    ROLB (Quincy Black is probably gone with that big ole contract)

Depth Need:

RB (Legarrette will go off into the sunset after this year)
    OT

Developmental:

Not sure, maybe a shifty slot WR.

Bengals

BPA not a QB, OT, OG, TE or DT
    S, LB, RB
    C
    RT, CB
    QB, LB, CB
    Last edited by puddycat; 11-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. - Leonardo da Vinci

Steelers

SS - Polamalu in't getting any younger and he's out injured a lot
    ILB - Larry Foote has been OK, but he's not the answer and I'm not sure Spence is more then a 3rd down player.

NT - Hampton is wearing down and we need a big time anchor for the DL. We took a shot on Ta'amu and it didn't work out. So IMO this is the position we need to look at in Rd 1
    DE - Ziggy Hood & Cameron Heyward look like 1st Rd players better left as backups. We need a starter.
    LT - We just can't keep relying on bringing Starks back. Gilbert or Adam might eventually grow into the position, but I think we might be better off moving Adams to Guard opposite DeCastro. Adams hardly has any lateral movement and IMO is better suited for Guard. So getting a great LT would allow us to keep Gilbert at RT along with DeCastro & Adams at Guard, and Pouncey at Center. Colon hasn't really impressed me at guard with all the holding calls he's had. I'd try to trade him or cut him to save salary cap room.

OLB - Harrison won't be around for ever and we really don't have a player to take over for him.
    WR - It's likely Wallace leaves after the season. We'll still have Brown & Sanders, but drafting a WR in the mid Rounds, or bringing in another WR is in FA to compete with Cotchery & Burress is a must.
    Kicker - Suisham has been much better, but count me as one who doesn't believe he's the long term answer.

CB

FS - Clark is older then Polamalu, but less injury prone and should be good for a few more seasons. Still it's a good time to start developing a guy to replace him.
    QB - It hasn't been more obvious then this season that we've made a huge mistake not having a young developmental QB on the team. It' great having an experienced backup, but theirs no reason to have an experienced 3rd QB when that is a spot to save on the salary cap while developing a QB. No reason to pay a 3rd QB $959,000 when he has no future with the team and you can pay a Rookie QB $385,000 and develop him in case Ben get's hurt. Also you can always us him as an asset and trade him like many other teams do the season before his rookie contract runs out.
    Last edited by Lofaw; 11-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Nas has a pretty good list for the Lions.

Caveat: Mayhew is pretty obsessive with his BPA strategy.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Vikes:

WR
    By far the biggest need on team. Its Harvin and trash.

CB
    Winfield is 35 and Cook is always injured. Josh Robison and the kid acquired from AZ have been OK so could be considered a 'need' or just a depth issue, depending on what happens the rest of the way.
    EDIT: Moved up to a major need given that Winfield is injured yet again and Marcus Sherels is not an NFL player. Depth really needed in the first 3 rounds, preferably in the first 2.

NT,UT
    Guion has only been average at NT when healthy and Kevin Williams is both old and I believe a FA. Getting a physical presence in the middle would be great. Run stopping hasn't been good lately, could be argued as a major need.

OG
    Schwartz is on a 1-year deal, Johnson is very average and aging, and Fusco is a project.

MLB
    OLB
    Brinkley has been average, at best, at MLB, and Erin Henderson has been pretty up and down as a starting outside LB. Both are probably passable as starters but that is about it. Vikes are very unlikely to take either position in the 1st round unless Te'o falls to them. OLB could possibly be considered a depth need based on whether they re-sign Henderson. Both players are on 1-year deals. MLB could be argued as a major need.

RB
    Gerhart never plays because he isn't a threat on 3rd downs and the Vikes could use someone that can both run and catch but the OC is probably too stupid for that.

OT
    Developmental OT would be good, after Kalil and Loadholt, there is nothing.

S
    Between Smith, Raymond, and Sanford they've been better at S this year but Sanford should probably not be starting and Raymond is unproven. Blanton was drafted as a developmental guy but it would hurt to have another.

I didn't add QB because I doubt they are going to replace Ponder but I could see them drafting a guy, as well.
    Last edited by PsychoViking; 12-31-2012 at 07:00 PM.

For the Vikes I would move CB up to right behind WR as the #2 biggest need and color it red. It is a critical need when you are one injury to an oft-injured/suspended CB away from being a terrible defense.

....and I would put QB on the list above it all and color it orangish green. There is no possible way that they will head into next season with the QB spot as is. But I do suspect that they will sign a vet to take over/compete with Ponder rather than go out and reach on a QB again.

And I might even change DT to orange. Our DL is aging and expensive and at some point they will have to start addressing it via the draft or else the whole defense could come apart at the seams completely.
    Last edited by ducky; 11-30-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Mike Vick to Minny baby!
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast