Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Well, Duke sure poured a whole can on FSU. They just shot the lights out in the first have, at one time leading 29 when FSU had only 22 points. That Miami trouncing might have gotten them focused, which is never good.

Can't believe the Heels are 5-3 in ACC play - I suppose losing only to Miami, Virginia, NCSU - sure would be nice to have that VA game back for us to be at 6-2. I still don't think it matters much, as the Top 3 will be Miami, Duke, NCSU. We have 6 losses total so we're still in the hunt for the Dance, but we'd better beat one or more of the above before its over or we won't make it far even if we do get to Dance.
    Gang Way!

Terps put a whoopin' on the Demon Deacons today.

Of course, anytime you shoot 67% from the floor, that's likely to happen. Still far too many turnovers. A good win though. I'll take it.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    Terps put a whoopin' on the Demon Deacons today.

Of course, anytime you shoot 67% from the floor, that's likely to happen. Still far too many turnovers. A good win though. I'll take it.
    That is a good win, considering they beat NCSU. What's the Terps record/ACC record?
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    That is a good win, considering they beat NCSU. What's the Terps record/ACC record?
    4-5.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

After watching the Indiana/Michigan game I've come to the conclusion they're the best 2 teams in College Basketball. Cody Zeller is going to be a star in the NBA and if I was drafting 1st in the NBA draft he'd be my pick. The guys a stud and he makes it look so damn easy. Burke and Hardaway from Michigan are pretty damn good too, but not on the level of Zeller. After Indiana and Michigan you have Kansas, Duke, Florida, & Syracuse when everyone's healthy in the next grouping. I love Duke, but even with Kelly back fully healthy for the tournament like they say he'll be they just aren't as good as either of those top 2 team IMO. They'd have a shot against Michigan, but would need another team to take out Indiana. Duke just doesn't have the inside players to handle Indiana's defensively.

As for Duke the more I watch this team the more I think they made a huge mistake redshirting Andre Dawkins. They could really use his outside shooting. Right now without Kelly the only consistent outside shooter is Curry. With Dawkins it might not have made up for Kelly's defense, but he could have replaced the outside shooting. The one area the Kelly injury has helped is with getting experience for Amile Jefferson who next season with a little added muscle will give players fit defensively with those long arms. This years he's played well, but isn't strong enough to keep these bigger PFs out of the block. Still he's played very well for a freshman. Same goes for Suliamon who's going to be a star if he star if he stays all 4 years. He's already very good defensively and offensively can get to the rim at will. He just needs some seasoning and his outside shots to start dropping more then it has. Quinn Cook is playing great, but seriously needs to cut down on silly fouls and stop taking the chances he often does instead of staying in front of his man. He also needs to cut down on taking some unwise shots.

One last player I want to talk about on Duke and that's Josh Harrison. Every team needs a player like Hairston. He's very good defensively and gives opposing players fit when he's guarding them. My problem isn't with him defensively. Well other then the fact even with him in the game Duke has to be the worst Defensive rebounding team in the country. My problem is with Hairston taking Jump shots. I'm seriously wondering if this guy has made a jump shot in his life outside of practice. I wish he'd stick to putting RBs back up and on layups off a pass. Otherwise pass the damn ball to a shooter.

Hairston was my one last rant on a player and here's my last rant on the Duke team. I really don't understand why when you have a guy like Mason and Marshall Plumlee and Hairston, Kelly, and Jefferson and you suck at rebounding. I've watched all, but 1 Duke game and let me tell you these guys rarely block out and Mason Plumlee is never in good Rebounding position and if he is he's feet are cemented to the ground. Jefferson is a much better rebounder then Mason Plumlee, but just isn't strong enough yet from getting pushed out of rebounding position. He does still get a decent amount of RBs, but it's because of his energy and the fat he goes hard after everything. You'd think if Mason worked as hard as Jefferson he'd average 15 RBs a game.

Rebounding is a tough one to figure sometimes. Just yesterday the Heels dominated the offensive glass and those second chance points are what kept them in the game until Va Tech finally wore down/foul trouble and their go-to-guy had a bad day (and Va Tech's record just indicates they're not very good this year, like most other wins we do have - we've lost to just about anybody worth a crap). It doesn't always work out that way. I think rebounding is a factor of: positioning/coaching, sure, but there is also a hustle and luck factor to it, I think. Still, we can follow stats and see, over the course of a season, which teams are better than others, and those teams that are near the top usually advance versus those who aren't, unless they have a cold shooting night and the other team is Hot.

This is a weird year. It seems like every #1 promptly loses as if to say, I don't want it, you take it. I wonder if that will bleed over into the Dance and we'll see fewer #1's in the Final Four. I would think it might, which makes for a great Tourney. This year I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cinderella have a shot at the Title, which would be great for college b-ball. And no, I don't think it will be UNC, but could be somebody like Gonzaga or Butler, or another team that gets hot and goes on a run. I don't make predictions but I expect we'll see at least one team in the Final Four who is not currently ranked in the Top 10.
    Gang Way!

Michigan/Indiana are good. But I'll take Kansas/Florida.

For now. ;)
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post

For now. ;)
    I think this could be the year a mid major finally wins it all. There's no doubt a team like Gonzaga, Butler, or Creighton could end up stealing it this season.

Perhaps.

We've have a few teams come ridiculously close (Hayward cost Butler a few years ago, and can we still count Memphis?).

But I think the last mid-major was UNLV, but I cant' say that with 100% accuracy.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Btw, Butler/Gonzaga was the game of the year

- Ghandi

For now. ;)
    Don't look now but #2 Florida is gettin' bent over by Arkansas. This is the darndest season I can recall.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    Don't look now but #2 Florida is gettin' bent over by Arkansas. This is the darndest season I can recall.
    Exactly why I said "for now" ;)

It is a bizarre year.

- Ghandi

Ohio State/Michigan was a great game. Michigan won 76-74, but Ohio State got ripped off at the end of OT with the driving player getting bumped the whole way and then arm barred and smacked cross the head on the lay up. I have no idea if the player makes both FTs or even if he does if Ohio State beats them in 2nd OT, but the driver at least deserves the chance to make the FTs.

Burke definitely fouled him on the floor. That should've been called.

I thought the block was a good play.

- Ghandi

Exactly why I said "for now" ;)
    Sure thing, Q. You really picked the upset.

The Pee Wee Herman of KFFL wrecks his bike but lands standing up saying, 'I meant to do that'.

Heels once again beat a mediocre team. We might fare well in the NIT.
    Gang Way!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast